JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to this board but hoping to get some input/opinoins on the semi auto version of Rugers 44 mag.

I have this thing for getting semi auto carbines in my pistol calibers and the 44 mag is next on the list.
Thanks.

If you are referring to the old Model 44 carbine, I can say nothing detrimental. Cannot comment on the newer style 99/44: I understand they have been discontinued, so that may be commentary in itself. I have a nice 44, and have carried it for bear, though never have taken one. A friend borrowed it for a pig hunt, slammed a number of pigs, came home and quickly bought his own 44. This is probably the very best application for the gun. I did take my deer one year with it. A very reliable gun IF you keep your loads in the upper end of power. Loads for mine I keep seperate from revolver loads, and so marked. It does cycle all factory loads without a hitch, but once did not cycle my reduced velocity handloads for my revolvers. With the right load, more accurate than you might think for a carbine of this type.

Comparing it to the Camp 45 and Camp 9, I think is not fair to any, as they are guns of different purposes. The Marlins are pretty much defense/utility guns, whereas the Ruger 44 is a hunting weapon. The Marlins would be marginal at best in the woods, where the Ruger is entirely adequate perhaps even for elk at moderate range with the right bullet. On the other hand, I would not want my Ruger banging around in the bilge of a boat (for dispatching halibut, etc.) and it would be much too powerful. I'd choose the Marlins for that purpose, and the Marlins again might get the nod again for defense, with their removable magazines for fast reloads.

I have shot the Camp 9 at the police range, and it is reliable and adequately accurate for its purposes. Certainly not a hunting gun, though it could be fun on jackrabbits and the like.

P7200139.jpg

Ruger 44 Carbine, 3x Leupold. Don't see too many with wood like this.

Spitpatch...Very nice example of the 44 you have in the pic. Thanks for the info, I am on the hunt for one and now I have something to compare my candidates to...

I have handloaded 300gr XTP's (during my experimentation to see what works in this gun). Operate flawlessly, as has ANY load, factory or handload, save the "poofers" mentioned above (failing to cycle once). Those experiments included heavy hardcast bullets as well. TOR mentions having experience (or at least purveying a rumor) that 320g wadcutters may not operate. Since I have no experience in that area, I cannot argue or purvey further that. My Marlin .44 will feed and shoot .44 special ammo, the Ruger is rumored not to (again no experience there), so TOR's nod to the Marlin might be valid where ammo versatility is concerned, certainly for the owner who would consider these "plinking guns". Since I also have no experience blowing up either gun, I cannot comment (and don't aspire to be able to) on the presentation about "strength". I can say the Ruger has digested everything at the high end of every load book.

However: It is my strong opinion, and my general practice that with these guns, the practical, knowledgable owner will work to develop ONE load for hunting with these guns, and really need not (nor should not) experiment much further. They are rather specialized firearms, fill a specific niche in the hunting battery: that of a fast-handling, remarkably powered compact gun, where a combination of diminutive size/significant impact authority is desired. When the hunter determines his purpose (for me, it is horseback hunting for bear), he should load FOR that purpose, achieve the very best the gun can do, and then stick with it.

The Ruger is a semi-auto. The Marlin is a levergun. Again, given both to choose from (as I am fortunate enough to enjoy), each has an even more defined purpose even beyond what is described above. I would not say one is better than the other, any more than I would try to convince an elk hunter who carries a BAR that a BLR is a better gun.

P7210142.jpg

Marlin Model 1894, .44 Magnum. Williams FP rear, Firesight front. Pachmayr Decelorator (these little guns deposit power at both ends!), Brownell's Latigo sling.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top