JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger once offered bolt rifles in Winchester short mag loads. FN, who owns Winchester firearms and Browning firearms, had their attorneys stop Ruger from offering rifles chambered in Win short mag rounds.

Because Ruger has offered their No. 1 in 460 S&W, they may have a licensing agreement in place with Smith and Wesson. We can always hope for a lever from Ruger in 460.

If you want a lever rifle in 460 S&W, order this one:

https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/model-90-460-sw/

Didn't know that a person needed a license agreement to sell a firearm chambered for a given cartridge. :eek: I will take leave to doubt that assertion.

As for the BHA lever actions - yeah, I've lusted after those for a while - just not willing to give up $3K+ (probably more like $5K by the time it was configured the way I would want it). I already have a .45-70 Model 95 that will do everything and more than the .460 except for shoot the same cartridge as my 460V. If Ruger came out with a Model 92 in .460 or .454 then it would probably be a lot less expensive - maybe in the $1K price range?

I have to wonder if there will be any glitches at all. They already have the tooling, blueprints and possibly personnel to get it done so I'm going to assume it'll be a normal 336 but made under Ruger's supervision instead of Remington's. I would imagine any changes will be rolled out over time instead of all at once to they can at least get the ball rolling and some ROI. Nonetheless, I'm pretty excited to see one.

Ruger has had their glitches in the past (e.g., 10/22 magnums) but they have usually been with something new.

Didn't know that a person needed a license agreement to sell a firearm chambered for a given cartridge. :eek: I will take leave to doubt that assertion.
Here is a link to the Jamison lawsuit. This lawsuit and FNs reaction is why Ruger ceased production of rifles chambered in 270 wsm and 300 wsm. I have seen Ruger factory rifles in those chamberings. I have not aware of any Rugers chambered in other WSM cartridges

I do some of my best shooting with the much maligned "Buckhorn" rear sight
( fixed , as in non adjustable , no less ) and a sliver blade front sight...I have ribbons , prizes and made dinner with this combination.

Andy
Great! Now I'm stuck with an image of you stirring a pot of stew with your rifle...:confused:

Ruger will definitely throw an oddball "new" caliber in the mix, probably the. 350 Legend.
Possibly. I think they may develop a 'revised' 350 legend only because of the taper and cartridge length. The legend was constrained to fit the AR platform.Also, Legend bullets are pointed.

Ruger's engineers could design a straight wall cartridge perhaps using the 30/30 case with lesser weight .402 Jefferies bullets in the 200 grain range and a case length of 1.8" for those states who can only hunt with straight wall cartridges. It would eliminate confusion with 350 legend for tubular vs stacked magazines and would minimize the tooling necessary.

I would like to see a lever action design able to shoot a straight walled rifle cartridge like a taper-less 350 legend and also shoot 357 mag or 30/30 and shoot 30 carbine.

The 336 will not be in .500 or .454 or .460 - not strong enough. Yes, it can handle rifle cartridges like the .45-70 etc., but the .500, et. al. are high pressure and have even more thrust. It takes a stronger action, like the Model 92 to handle those large big bore high pressure cartridges. It took me a while to understand why.
Are not flagship Ruger guns known to be "overbuilt"? This is what I always heard when inquiring about Ruger vs Remington. I really hope Ruger produces the 336 in 454 Casull or 460 with ability to shoot 454C.

Oh , and let's all drool about rimfire possibilities. 39A relaunch? With mountie straight stock?
Why'd you have to go and say something like that? Now my mind is filled with the idea of a stainless 39A with laminate stock (and threaded?). Oh, how I would buy one of those in a heartbeat. Probably more!

Edit: Yes, threaded rimfire would pose a challenge due to the loading tube, but I'd be willing to make it work!

David Petzal....Ugh.

In regards to the Marlin 336 sights...as in the traditional ones as issued ...they work well...If..
One takes the time to learn how to shoot with them.
And to be fair here...have the eyesight to use 'em

I do some of my best shooting with the much maligned "Buckhorn" rear sight
( fixed , as in non adjustable , no less ) and a sliver blade front sight...I have ribbons , prizes and made dinner with this combination.

With all that said...
I understand that there are newer style sights , and optics , which may be "Better".
I am not against anyone using those or arguing that the old ways are the best.

I am saying that the older style sights do indeed work.
And that I am damn tired of folks thinking that just 'cause something is old ...it ain't no good.

As for the Ruger / Marlin 336...
I look forward to seeing it...and hope that the quality of the rifle , is worthy of the JM Marlin legacy.
Andy
I used to love those until my eyesight started getting worse. Now, not as much because my eyesight gets a little blurry at the ranges I like to shoot. I now scope all the long guns I can. But they are still a good sighting system, even if my eyes ain't so much anymore.

1894 in 327 Fed would be my wish, but will settle for a quality gun in the standard choices. Hoping Ruger keeps a legacy traditional line without Rugerizing too much.

I would like to see the 308mx or 307 win, and the 338 mx and or 356 win on the Ruger made Marlins.
I'm sure some of the less popular calibers will come out later and as Lipsey's exclusives.

I posted this earlier but it seems to have been overlooked, so will pass it one here as well.

Thanks.
Hopefully Ruger won't fill every square millimeter with warnings like their usual habit, or stamp a QR code on the frame line Colt.
You can rest assured there will be warnings on it, but Ruger's gotten a bunch better about billboard placement.

David Petzal....Ugh.
A little Blast from the Past on this Fuddtard Kapo...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top