JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was shooting my ruger 22/45 and suppressor over the weekend and it was shooting cci std velocity super sonic. It made no sense as the same ammo was going subsonic though both my ruger American rim fire and 10/22. Any ideas as to why? I did clean the 22/45 before hand.

It's shot the same ammo subsonic before. I even tried a few different brands of subsonic and it all went supersonic. Sk plus and Aguila match.

It's kind of baffling me.

Are you basing this on sound alone or are you running this through a chronograph? If it is just sound you are basing it on, then it could be the difference on your two testing platforms. A semi-auto pistol 22 will always sound louder than a bolt action 22 rifle. You could just be hearing the "port pop".

Standard CCi is 1070fps out of a rifle.

this ammo is what I exclusively shoot out of my suppressed pistols and it's subsonic.

I've shot the same ammo, pistol, and suppressor (tactical solutions axiom) setup before and it's been subsonic and quiet.

I also had a couple other guys try it and they were saying the same. Usually it's the winter time that I have this issue as the sound barrier is lower with the lower temps.

It's just really odd I'm getting higher (assumed) velocity out of a pistol with the same ammo. Usually a shorter barrel equals slower velocity. I'm only going off of sound but I had a few guys around and they heard the same.

I didn't have my chronograph with me so I don't have the exact number but next time I'm definitely bringing it.

CCI std velocity is my go to ammo and I've shot quite a few rounds of it and never had this issue before in warmer weather.

We were up at 1500ft elevation so maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm going to clean and lube the pistol up as maybe the bolt is cycling slow and is allowing gas to come out of the action and making more noise?

How many rounds through the suppressor? When was the last time it was cleaned? I have a similar setup and shoot only the exact same ammo. Like you, I only get a crack in cold weather or when my suppressor needs to be cleaned.

I've shot the same ammo, pistol, and suppressor (tactical solutions axiom) setup before and it's been subsonic and quiet.

I also had a couple other guys try it and they were saying the same. Usually it's the winter time that I have this issue as the sound barrier is lower with the lower temps.

It's just really odd I'm getting higher (assumed) velocity out of a pistol with the same ammo. Usually a shorter barrel equals slower velocity. I'm only going off of sound but I had a few guys around and they heard the same.

I didn't have my chronograph with me so I don't have the exact number but next time I'm definitely bringing it.

CCI std velocity is my go to ammo and I've shot quite a few rounds of it and never had this issue before in warmer weather.

I'm going to clean and lube the pistol up as maybe the bolt is cycling slow and is allowing gas to come out of the action and making more noise?
ah, so this wasn't the first time with this combo, that's helpful.

You could have also had a hot batch. Were these the same lot #, all the same box/bin?

Not sure if altitude would have that much of an effect especially through a pistol and such a short barrel.

I now too share in your wonder because when nothing has changed...

Yeah I really wish I would have brought my chronograph. It had a few of us really puzzled. If it actually went supersonic or not who knows. But it was not hearing safe at all. We even tried other subsonic match ammo and same results so I don't think it was a hot batch.

The suppressor functioned just fine with the rilfes so I dont think it was too dirty.

Definitely. Assuming standard temp and pressure, SoF at 0 ft MSL = 1116 ft/s; at 1500 ft above MSL = 1097 ft/s.

1594063449927.png