JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own a Stainless Ruger MKII 22/45, and have never liked the feel of the grip frame. I found a guy who makes custom 1911 style grip panels that fit the MKII series. He also has grips for MKIII's. (MKIII grip frames are flat, and MKII's are slightly curved) He sells grips in several colors, and also makes extended magazine pads which help you to fully seat your mags.

All that I needed to do was drill 4 1/8" holes for the grip screws and tap them with an 8-32 tap.
With a little care, I was able to make my 22/45 fit my hand much better, and make it look a little better, in my eyes. I'll let you guys decide if you like it or not, but for me, it's the cat's meow...

UPDATE: I see that Ruger has just announced 22/45's that have 1911 grips already installed from the factory as an option!

DSCN3137.jpg

The third reply in this thread link below shows the colors available. His name on RFC is Tech Teach. You can email him @ [email protected]. He does accept PayPal. I believe he is a one-man operation doing this as a side hobby. The grips are nice, but I did have to spend a few minutes massaging the grips to make them fit just how I wanted them to. I am very satisfied with the results.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273560&page=4

My brother and I took our 22/45's to the indoor range at Tri-County Gun Club yesterday afternoon for a few hours of fun, my first time shooting since the 1911 grip installation. I must say, I really like the feel of these grips. They fill the hand much better, and I think my accuracy is better also. For a little 22 target pistol, these Ruger's are top notch in my opinion. :s0155:

Ordered my set yesterday. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival in the mail.

I went with the red grips for my Stainless MkIII, so I will have stainless/black/red combo.

Dominic is a top notch person to work with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

It took about 2 months for me to get my grips but they finally arrived today and i'm very pleased on the outcome, I couldn't decide between black and grey so I bought both.
IMAG0109.jpg
IMAG0108.jpg
IMAG0106.jpg
IMAG0107.jpg

Got my grips this week and installed them right away. It took me about ten minutes following Dominic's easy to understand instructions.

I can tell the difference already, and can't wait to get to the range with it.

The red grips on the Stainless barrel/black grip model look pretty cool.:cool:

I would recommend these grips to anyone looking for an alternative to buying the new Ruger with replaceable grips.

ruger1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Last Edited:
After trying one set of Hogue grips that didn't fit my recent purchase of a 22/45 MkIII with removable grips, I found the following which basically fit like a glove and took about 5 minutes to install.

The Hogue "Colt Government Commander" wrap-around (bar code 4310 45000) was basically a perfect fit out of the box. Unscrewed the grips that were included, cut one small corner of rubber off with a good pair of scissors where it interfered with the bolt stop, screwed in the Hogue grip with the original pair of screws that came with the pistol, and it was good to go. The cost was about $20.

I've shown it to several people at the gun club who also have MkIII 22/45's and they were impressed enough to want the part specifics. (Thought that might be the case so I had kept the original packaging with the part name and #.)

Here are some pics:

This one shows the new Hogue grip mounted, the original grips removed, the small piece I cut out, and where I cut from.

allphotowcaptions.jpg

This one shows the grip better including where I cut next to the bolt stop:

gripphotowcaption.jpg

This shows the front of the package backing with the grip model's name:

frontlabelphoto.jpg

This shows the back of the package backing with the grip model's name and the bar code number:

rearlabelphotowcaption.jpg

Hope this helps out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top