JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like 10/22's.

In their Sporter or carbine configuration, they are great in the rat fields. Upgrading just the trigger, the results can be tremendous. I've got an assortment of higher end trigger groups, and I always installed one of them immediately upon any new 10/22 acquisition. Later, I've discovered the BX trigger to be a compromise, but still an improvement, for less than 25% of the price of a target trigger.

My latest target model 10/22, is the Target Tactical model. Why they call it tactical I have not a clue, as there's nothing tactical about it. It's a 10/22 with a heavy 16" barrel and Hogue stock. It's superbly accurate, and in spite of the nearly $500 price tag, I still upgraded the trigger, as the factory trigger was an embarrassment for such a relatively spendy gun.

So, a sporter carbine can be had for $200. Add another $200 for a good trigger. Add another $300 (or much more) for a scope, and it could be argued that you've spent a lot on upgrades. Maybe so, but I don't do this to realize a return on my investment. It's a money pit that pleases me. And I could spend another couple hundred on a barrel. And be even more pleased.

Or, I could buy the target model that I have, and it already has a really good barrel to start with, install a good trigger and a good scope, and I can shoot 10-shot groups at fifty yards that are nickel sized. That continues to please me. My shooting buddy has almost the same rifle as mine, but with an after market barrel, and his easily outshoots mine.

So if really tiny groups are important, it's gonna cost some money. Tiny groups are all that interest me. And I do not expect to ever recoup my costs. That said, when I do sell a 10/22, I keep the upgraded trigger and the scope, as neither has any resale value. Then, reused on my next 10/22, it is upgraded for free.:s0155:

It must be said... to realize really precision accuracy out of any rimfire, precision (read expensive) ammo must be utilized. At 10 to 20 bucks a box for really good ammo, the cost of the upgrades is the cheapest part of the equation.

My interest is not in tacti-cooling a 10/22, but I appreciate other folks have that interest. Expect to spend a whole bunch, as the sky is the limit.

Last Edited:
Lots of great answers to my question here as to why. All seem to have merit, but no real surprises.
At least no one took my question as to an insult which it was just asked out of curiosity
Guess my weakness (poor choice of word probably) was buying every Marlin 22 rimfire I could find...Made money off of some and lost on others when I decided to downsize, sure enjoyed the hunt though.
I will always remember that when I decided to sell a few seems I would put the word COLLECTABLE in some of the adds.
OH MAN, a few here would hop right in and tell me just because it was old did not mean it was collectable.
Guess that statement could refer back to my initial post on the Ruger 10-22's question.
...........All IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER.…...
Thanks for all the input on my question, enjoyed the read
Stay safe and have a great day Gents...
Dallas Ken

My mistresses name is Ruger.
I knew my dog was up to something...

(Her name is Ruger)

741209ED-B0A7-49A6-8E15-41301265D32E.jpeg

Not trying in anyway to offend anyone here …..but I cant quite understand how so many folks can wrap up so much money in a Ruger 10-22. Seems after adding several hundred dollars to one they decide to try and sell it.
Guess they probably enjoy building one up but it is still a 10-22 which is probably the most common rifle around and usually on sale somewhere along with all the aftermarket parts. Seems the fun of owning one would be building it the way you would want it to be.
Just something I have always wondered about...…...any ideas or thoughts?....

1) Shooting accurate firearms is enjoyable to some folks. Some folks are happy with a 2" group at 50 yards, some are happier to be able to repetitively drive a tack head down at that distance.
6) Shooting .22 cal can be as fun as shooting anything, more so given the reduced cost, noise, and kick.
2) The increase the accuracy can be achieved by anyone increasing the money spent, although it's true that one gets diminishing returns as accuracy improvements decrease at the higher end.
3) We see others do this in many other hobbys and sports. The golfer who pays big bucks for those custom clubs to eek out a marginal improvement and the 4 x 4 Truck builders are 2(of many) examples.
4) The folks plunking down $700 and way up above that to tinker and accuracize 10/22's are often the same folks who don't want to spend $2000-$2500 to get that kind of accuracy out of an Anschutz .22 target so they cheap out. (refer to #1 above)
5) There are a subset of crazy people who love to try new things, to tinker, and learn everything they can about a process or a mechanical development.
6) Life is not statis and stable. At some time a person may need the $ more than their beloved tack driver, so they sell it and get the house downpayment, car or whatever. However, they get to keep the memory of tight groups and tack driving.

For those people, there is the happiness which accuracy enhanced 10/22s bring to the table. Those are the crazy people, and no, I'm sure no one is offended that you don't share that joy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top