JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not trying in anyway to offend anyone here …..but I cant quite understand how so many folks can wrap up so much money in a Ruger 10-22. Seems after adding several hundred dollars to one they decide to try and sell it.
Guess they probably enjoy building one up but it is still a 10-22 which is probably the most common rifle around and usually on sale somewhere along with all the aftermarket parts. Seems the fun of owning one would be building it the way you would want it to be.
Just something I have always wondered about...…...any ideas or thoughts?

Have a great day Gent's and stay safe
Ken

I have seen a few do this. End up with 1K or more in a 10/22. Some of them are amazing after in what they can do, sub MOA groups and all. The problem is of course if they later want to sell. There are several other rifles in this price range that will do this kind of shooting. The problem is not that one is a 10/22. The problem is how many people want to spend that kind of money on a .22. There are a few but, if you go to sell there is a MUCH smaller market. Hell for the vast majority of us a standard 10/22 is more accurate than we are. :)

While not my favorite .22 rifle....
They , as you noted , are very popular.

So...
Popularity means lots of after market accessories and lots of sales hype surrounding the same...
Plus they are a fairly easy rifle to work on...

Its also a rifle that can be modified in many different ways...
Anything from simply adding sights and or a scope to a:
"tactical model" ...
a heavy barreled target rifle ..
making it into a dedicated hunting rifle ...
There are even some conversions that can make it resemble a M1 Carbine...

With that said...
Like any rifle that is modified , no matter how well its done and no matter the quality of the parts used...
If one goes to sell said rifle....it will only be a good buy to someone who also likes and has a use for the modifications.
Andy

The ruger 10-22, everyone told you it's the one to buy. Except no one ever asked you what you really wanna do with it. You wanna get better and be better and the whole internet says madify.
Yes madify, it's where you throw money into your ruger until you've lost your mind, modify to the point of madness.
Now you have a ruger 10-22 and a charger and carbon fiber barrels and aluminum barrels and stainless barrels and 2 dozen types of ammo and triggers and stocks cause you had one and it was good but then Magpul made one so you had to try it too. Now your work bench looks like you work for ruger and your wallet has a very light feel and a distinct echo.
one day you wake up and realize oh yeah, you know I never really miss with that ol cz 452. A new part of your life opens up. Oh that's right I bought the ruger for fun.... not a sniper rifle. Why did I try to make it a sniper rifle in the first place. Oh yeah. Cause I'm dumb!

Another thought is simply , firearm preference.

While not a Ruger 10-22...
I am often asked :
Why do I sink so much time and money into those old muzzle loaders...?
Long answer short :
'Cause I like 'em.

I have noticed that among those folks who enjoy the Ruger 10-22 series of rifles ...
There are those who will happily spend their time and money into these rifles.
Often to the point of that is the only type of rifle they have or damn near.
Tinkering with and searching out parts and "one last project rifle"....is also a fun thing for many folks

Perhaps these folks , just like 'em....
Andy

Another thought is simply , firearm preference.

While not a Ruger 10-22...
I am often asked :
Why do I sink so much time and money into those old muzzle loaders...?
Long answer short :
'Cause I like 'em.

I have notice that among those folks who enjoy the Ruger 10-22 series of rifles ...
There are those who will happily spend their time and money into these rifles.
Often to the point of that is the only type of rifle they have or damn near.
Tinkering with and searching out parts and "one last project rifle"....is also a fun thing for many folks

Perhaps these folks , just like 'em....
Andy
Could not have said it better!

For me this platform is fun to build and shoot on the cheap. I think if you have the funds, build it the way you want because life's short. I have several, this is my favorite. This was built by a local guy without using off the shelf after market parts, hand machined and tuned. That's not a muzzle brake it's a thread protector that he also made for the rifle.

10-22.jpg

Basically they have been turned into a poor mans AR.
Cheaper ammo.
Cheaper parts (most of the time).
Can use a multitude of different sized mags.
Can be made from 80% receiver.
Can be made to even look like an AR.
Many many parts manufacturers to choose from.

I too never understood sinking so much money into a rifle that is still just a tin can killer. I can shoot one just fine bone stock, if I need to do better then that's what a Marlin 60 is for........:p Or any multitude of bolt actions.

They are the Barbi for the budget minded (wife approval) shooters.

m4=barbi.jpg

This is true for any gun. If you were looking to buy any gun would you pay more for one modified by a stranger?

Thank God we live in a free country where we can spend our time and money how we want to. Modifying and customizing is done to quench an indivdual's wants and desires. If someone wants to spend a couple of thousand bucks on 10/22 mods or pimp rims for their car, more power to them as it's their money. It doesn't mean that you or I have to like it or have to buy it when they go to sell it. Thus the problem with modifications and custom work though, while you may think it's the schizz, you may have trouble finding a buyer that appreciates your exact tastes and efforts. Sometimes it's no problem to unload, sometimes you wind up stuck with your highly modded gun, vehicle, tennis racquet, or whatever. Bottom line though....free country. :s0145:

The 10/22 is no different than any other hobby. Why do guys fix up or improve any factory rifle or handgun ? Because they want to make it better or more personalized for their needs. And you dont get your money back when you sell them.

Why do people sell their cars , trucks or Harleys after dumping tons of money into them ? They never recover it. It's for your own entertainment.

The ruger 10-22, everyone told you it's the one to buy. Except no one ever asked you what you really wanna do with it. You wanna get better and be better and the whole internet says madify.
Yes madify, it's where you throw money into your ruger until you've lost your mind, modify to the point of madness.
Now you have a ruger 10-22 and a charger and carbon fiber barrels and aluminum barrels and stainless barrels and 2 dozen types of ammo and triggers and stocks cause you had one and it was good but then Magpul made one so you had to try it too. Now your work bench looks like you work for ruger and your wallet has a very light feel and a distinct echo.
one day you wake up and realize oh yeah, you know I never really miss with that ol cz 452. A new part of your life opens up. Oh that's right I bought the ruger for fun.... not a sniper rifle. Why did I try to make it a sniper rifle in the first place. Oh yeah. Cause I'm dumb!

:s0101:

Thank God we live in a free country where we can spend our time and money how we want to. Modifying and customizing is done to quench an indivdual's wants and desires. If someone wants to spend a couple of thousand bucks on 10/22 mods or pimp rims for their car, more power to them as it's their money. It doesn't mean that you or I have to like it or have to buy it when they go to sell it. Thus the problem with modifications and custom work though, while you may think it's the schizz, you may have trouble finding a buyer that appreciates your exact tastes and efforts. Sometimes it's no problem to unload, sometimes you wind up stuck with your highly modded gun, vehicle, tennis racquet, or whatever. Bottom line though....free country. :s0145:

Yuppers!! Here's my little story: I bought an old beater/rusted 10/22 at a yard sale many years ago when such a joy was still legal. I removed the barrel since I didn't want to mess with the rust outside as well as inside, put a heavy barrel on it for shooting squeaks and .22lr rifle steel silhouette, put a kevlar stock on it since the new barrel needed the extra room, and a trigger kit since I love great triggers. All together about $250 (at the time) including the initial buy. for a rifle that I just LOVE to shoot. Had it out the other day and the grandkids love to shoot it too!!

On the other hand, a few decades ago I got into IPSC competition, which then became USPSA. I initially started out with a .40cal EIA Witness DA/SA trigger. It was just ok. I didn't like the snappy recoil. One of the shooters was a gunsmith and owned a LGS. He told me that most of the guys shooting Limited class were using .45ACP, which was more of a push recoil even if a bit heavier, and had a single action trigger that I would like. Paid $700 or $800 (I don't remember exactly) for a brand new Para Ordnance P14.45, made in Canada, that came with two 14rd mags. I needed 3 or 4 for matches so I bought two more. Then I had trigger work done to create an ultra smooth and crisp 2.5lb trigger. Then I had a stainless beavertail grip safety installed. Then I bought mag extensions to turn the two of the 14rd mags into 16rd mags. Then I had a two piece full length stainless steel guide rod put in. Then I had a stainless magwell, an extended slide release, an extended mag release, and an oversize Wilson manual safety put on. Then I bought two more mag extensions when they came out with the base pads to make 18rd mags. Then I bought a new speed holster. Then 3 speed release competition mag holders, the ones that can be mounted at any angle.

When I quit USPSA and moved to IDPA, I shot my G19 carry gun instead of the Para. Arth was keeping me from enjoying shooting the .45ACP, so I decided to sell it. Took it to the USPSA matches... nope. Para had moved to North Carolina, had manufacturing problems and destroyed the brand name. I waited. When things calmed down I put it on Gunbroker.com. Listed it for $1200 even tho I had about $2400 into it. Nope. Lowered price. Nope. Lowered price again and again, eventually the starting price was $700. Still nope. A few years ago I gave it to my SIL because he LOVED that gun and there was no way I was letting it go to someone for less than $700.

My brother bought a 1955 Chevy because he always had a thing for car shows and classic cars. He put maybe $50,000 into creating a car show worthy car and toured around for quite awhile in the Santa Barbara, Solvang, Santa Ynez area car shows. He had met David Crosby (of The Bryds, and CSN and CSNY) while working on his house phones (Bro is a retired phone man), was very insulted when David ignored him at car shows... go figure. LOL/ROFLMAO. Anyway, he sold that car for $25,000 not the $50k he had into it.

We do it for love, because of OCD, lack of impulse control, whatever, but it's not because it makes economic sense. Makum sense??? :)

Last Edited:
I loved the days when one of my best buds and I could drive to Texas, buy a Porsche 911 (not a "T" or a 912) or buy a 356B or C, (never a 914... ewww) drive it back to Cali, and enjoy a HUGE profit w/o doing any mods to it at all. Not even a paint job.

Now that is good financial judgement!!!

I think some of the builds people do with them are cool. I almost did one myself but then I figured if I wanted something super super accurate you need to take your time shooting, and if your going to take your time you may as well go for a bolt action. So I built up a bolt action .22 and couldnt be happier. To each their own though.

Some people grew up with legos. Then they got access to a wood shop or machine shop. Building, tinkering, customizing, perfecting is just in our blood.

The 10/22 platform is not too dissimilar from the AR platform: the rifle itself is anything that you want it to be (within reason, here).

The stock action has incredibly bad tool marks, a very crap trigger, wonky bolt release, and a crap extractor. But, it can be had cheap. What you decide to do with it is completely up to you. Shoot it as is, polish up the internals, do some trigger work, etc. Best part is, if you mess anything up beyond repair, replacement parts are easy to come by.

I wanted to build up a 10/22 for use in speed steel games. The one pictured in my previous post is that one. It's 5 pounds even and is a joy to shoot. By the way, it started life as a synthetic stocked carbine that weighed 7 pounds. So, now I've got something with better ergonomics, adjustable length of pull (wife loves this gun, and I use it for new shooters), polished up internals, a crisp trigger, etc., etc.

Yep, it's still a 10/22 and I'd be lucky to sell it for $350 after having sunk much more than that into it. But, I'm not planning on selling it.

Guns are not investments to me. They are tools - and I don't expect a tool's value to appreciate. I do expect my tools to perform and, if they can be customized to the way I like to work, well that's even better.

The 10/22 is fine for hunting varmints as well as plinking and target practice.

And for me, it's the handy size, how easy it is to work on or just takedown to clean. And that flush fitting 10 round rotary magazine rocks. Then they had to go and make the takedown models.

I have two. One that's modified with a Boyd's stock, Volquartsen barrel and Hornets products metal trigger group. And one untouched takedown model. I think they're a blast and worth every penny.

I will admit my CZ452 American is my favorite one to hunt with.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top