JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the market for an accurate, reliable, customizable .22LR rifle.
I plan to use it for plinking and to teach the kids how to shoot.

I've always planned to buy a Ruger 10/22 when I made the purchase. Now as I'm getting closer to buying, I am considering the M&P 15-22.
Now considering the M&P 15-22 because long term, I plan to buy a .223/5.56 AR15 (down the road still) and I love my M&P9.

I know the M&P will cost twice as much as the Ruger, this fact aside, which should I buy?
Or is there another .22LR rifle that's accurate, reliable and customizable I should consider?

Please share the pros/cons and your opinions.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

Welcome.

Try both, if you can. Both are good rifles, and both have many customizing options. If you plan on an AR down the road, maybe the M&P is the best choice for you.

Keith

Ruger 10/22 is fun to shoot without worry getting FTF/FTE during long shooting day.

AR15-22 is a nice tacticool and fun gun to shoot like the GSG-5 but after half a day you have to break the riffle apart and start to clean due to FTE/FTF.

Just my 2 cents.

i liked my ruger 10/22s for plinking and...plinking...accurate plinking at that.
but I use my M&P15-22 for drills...a lot. Especially when I'm practicing suppressive fire drills. so it depends on what you want to practice and what facilities available to practice with.

Thanks for the replies and the welcome.
I didn't realize the 15-22 was that temperamental or needed that much additional care vs the 10/22. Huge ballpark, how many rounds are we talking about before it needs a quick field strip/clean in your experience?

Any other issues like this to look out for?

Went out shooting shotgun and pistol today with a friend who brought along two .22LR rifles - older Remington & Marlin 60. Marlin 60 shot nice, but was surprised with the number of FTF on both rifles.
Would like the most trouble-free rifle possible.

Is the collapsible stock on the 15-22 that big of a benefit when teaching kids or will I be fine with a regular stock on the 10/22?

Sorry for two questions in one.
Thanks for the feedback!

I would say just get a Ruger 10/22 for the kids as it is a bullet proof design and is hands down one of the most aftermarket parts available rifle. You can do a lot with it or just leave it in stock form and shoot it. Plus for the price of a M&P you can get a Ruger and about 10K rounds of ammo:s0114: I have been really looking into an AR based 22 myself but for what my Ruger does and how it shoots I just can not pull the trigger on a new one:(

10/22, hands down. More parts available, easier to work on, does not require special tools to remove the barrel on the quad rail versions, did I mention, TONS of hop up parts available and a HUGE following with all sorts of tips and tricks.

get the 10/22

get the tapco ar style stock and a good sling and extended mags

get a good red dot or holosight

dont buy the crap gun your just going to buy things 2x

go ruger mine is still shot more than any other ar22 clone

I'm surprised at how many people are backing the 10/22. I've owned mine for about 8 years now and I really haven't been very happy with it. Granted it's OEM blued barrel wood stock, but it's never had a great trigger, it's not super comfortable to shoot all day, and if you haven't cleaned it in a few hundred rounds, the action has a noticeable gritty feel. I've had FTF issues but nothing real consistent.

On the other hand, I picked up a 15-.22 a couple months ago and I've been EXTREMELY happy with it. ZERO problems with CCI, Remington Thunderbolt, Remington Gold, and Winchester 333. I maintain my firearms to a high standard, but my buddy picked one up a month before me and didn't clean his until we shot in the rain. He didn't have any problems until he started loading soaking wet Winchester 333 into it. He put about 1500 rounds through his before that, so reliability is pretty damn good whether it's clean or not.

You can customize both guns. You'll be happy with the 15-.22 out of the box, you'll have to customize the 10/22 to truly enjoy it. Customization costs plenty extra.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to let you shoot both of mine side by side. I'm betting my buddy would bring synthetic 10/22 and 15-.22 as well. Disclaimer: I have to get spousal approval.

I have a 10/22 that I have owned about 12 years and have thousands of rounds through. Its been a great rifle. Although I have to admit that I have no experiance with the 15/22. but I am extremely happy with my Ruger.

In the market for an accurate, reliable, customizable .22LR rifle.

Or is there another .22LR rifle that's accurate, reliable and customizable I should consider?

Please share the pros/cons and your opinions.

Thank you in advance for the feedback.

I wanted a 22lr, for the same use as you. I was at the gun show shopping around -- saw the mp15-22, had every intention to buy it; picked it up and, hmm, was just a little to small, light, and plasticy for me. Went home without a 22...
Did more research and found the sig522. Back to the gun show the next day, and sure enough, I found a 522. It is a substantial gun, has a perfect LOP of me. Price was right at $400. It is very accurate, unbelievably reliable and durable. My buddy shot mine and bought his own the next week.

Cheers,
DJM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, experiences-you guys have built some nice rifles out there, invitation (SargentMac - very kind of you) and suggestions.

I'll have to look at the Sig - I've always liked Sig products.
I've heard some say a drawback to the Sig is the controls don't mimic centerfire AR's quite as well as the M&P - which is one of the main reasons I'm considering the M&P instead of a 10/22 like I've always planned.

It's hard to go up against a proven performer like the tried and true Ruger. With that said, I am currently leaning towards the M&P.
Waiting to see if either rifle goes on sale around Thanksgiving. If a lot of money can be shaved off the M&P, I'll probably buy it.
If not, I'll pick up a 10/22, the rifle with deservedly one of the biggest followings around.

I feel like I could buy either one right now and be very happy with the choice.

Thanks again everyone for your help and sharing.

You could always buy a standard AR-15 lower and get a spike's tactical 22lr upper. That way you can swap your upper receivers for days you want to shoot .223. Obviously this is a more expensive setup but you won't be dealing with cheap plastic AR-15 knock-off stuff.

10/22's are cheap and you can do anything to it.

I can't imagine a gun owner not having a 10/22! I put more rounds through mine than all of my other firearms combined. Fantastic little rifles that rarely break, never wear out, and have more aftermarket support than probably any other product on Earth! I think if you are going to use a .22 to train in place of for your primary AR you should build/buy an actual AR with a .22 upper. I think I'd better put some rounds through my 10/22 tomorrow! :s0155:

Another 10/22 vote. It's a fun little rifle and great for teaching new shooters. It can be made VERY accurate and still cost less than the M&P if you want to tinker with it (and it's easy to work on so you can do upgrades yourself).
Down the road you can get a .22 upper for your AR and you'll have the same trigger, grip, stock, etc. for cheap training.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top