JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a new Ruger 10/22 stainless. I am having difficulty with the Butler Creek mags I purchased at Bi-Mart (plastic feed lip). I am constantly having feeding issues. I used the mags in my dad's gun and they jamb his also. The factory mag works great; no problems. My assumption is that these mags are pretty much worthless.

I noticed that there is considerable slop (sliding back and forth) with the after-market mag in the gun. I hear a lot about the steal feed lip mags and that they are more reliable; however, I want to be sure whether it's the slop or the plastic lip that is causing the problems.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue and any reference to a better mag.

Thanks!

If you are shooting a new 10/22 then it takes about 500 to 700 rounds to break in the action (use stock mags), then after around 700 rounds clean the 10/22 very good, and use the butler creek Steel Lips. You should have no problem after that.

The last three Ruger 10/22's that I bought brand new ran that way. Break in the action with stock mags, and then switch to the steel lips 25rd ones:s0155:

Thanks for the info! I've done a little research and there are a lot of real expensive after-market mags available. Maybe a few hundred more rounds and then go to the steel lip as you guys suggest. I will try that first and let you know.

Thanks again.

I've come to the same conclusion. The BC mags with the plastic lips, worked fine before the Clinton ban. After the ban sunsetted and they started making them again, they sucked. :confused:

I have found the plastic lips suck. I have yet to have a problem with the steel lips mags. I even loaned one to a buddy at the range and he had no issues also.

Dont bother fighting it, spend the money and buy the quality adjustable mags. I just bought the tactical innovations aluminum mag at the recommendation of someone on here and I love it. I can honestly say there is ZERO slop in this mag once adjusted. Really, no slop and no failures. I can hold the rifle by the mag and shake it and no movement. I bought a steel lip BC mag before this one, has about 50 rds thought it and in my opinion, it's a paper weight.
Ruger006.jpg

Use steel lip 25 rounders. Break them in by fulling loading and leaving them for a couple weeks. It'll ease up tension on the spring, without weakening it. After that you won't have any issues, and they last for a very long time. If that's all you have, just don't load them past 20 for a little while and they'll eventually break in....

I had problems with the first Butler Creek mag I purchased also. After a little research I sprayed it out with cleaner and an air hose. Then added a drop of oil. Since then I have not had any problems with that magazine. I bought two more and they have been fine. All of them have the plastic lips.

I have 2 tactical innovation aluminium mags like in the photo above (you can get them in colors as well, mine are black). They are fantastic, no issues, but usually a wait and somewhat expensive. You'll never buy another plastic mag again however.

Bonus, <broken link removed> So you'd be supporting NorID and a Northwest dealer.

Also a good reason to go with Nightforce, beside a great product, who hail from the very weird bizarro world of Orofino.

I picked up those same 25-round magazine at Bi-Mart, too. They jam often, especially the top 5 or so rounds. I've just been using the stock one lately. It's good to know there are plenty of good-quality alternatives.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top