Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger 10/22 mags.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Mutoman, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

I recently purchased a new Ruger 10/22 stainless. I am having difficulty with the Butler Creek mags I purchased at Bi-Mart (plastic feed lip). I am constantly having feeding issues. I used the mags in my dad's gun and they jamb his also. The factory mag works great; no problems. My assumption is that these mags are pretty much worthless.

I noticed that there is considerable slop (sliding back and forth) with the after-market mag in the gun. I hear a lot about the steal feed lip mags and that they are more reliable; however, I want to be sure whether it's the slop or the plastic lip that is causing the problems.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue and any reference to a better mag.

Thanks!

2. Brandon44647

Brandon44647 Portland Member

The plastic feed lips are worthless, steel is the only way to go......

3. DrDave

DrDave Seattle, WA Member

If you are shooting a new 10/22 then it takes about 500 to 700 rounds to break in the action (use stock mags), then after around 700 rounds clean the 10/22 very good, and use the butler creek Steel Lips. You should have no problem after that.

The last three Ruger 10/22's that I bought brand new ran that way. Break in the action with stock mags, and then switch to the steel lips 25rd ones:thumbup:

4. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Thanks for the info! I've done a little research and there are a lot of real expensive after-market mags available. Maybe a few hundred more rounds and then go to the steel lip as you guys suggest. I will try that first and let you know.

Thanks again.

5. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

I've come to the same conclusion. The BC mags with the plastic lips, worked fine before the Clinton ban. After the ban sunsetted and they started making them again, they sucked. :confused:

6. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I have found the plastic lips suck. I have yet to have a problem with the steel lips mags. I even loaned one to a buddy at the range and he had no issues also.

7. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Same for me, I switched to the steel lip mags and I have very few problems now. I think I threw the plastic ones away.

8. JZO

JZO Vancouver Member

Dont bother fighting it, spend the money and buy the quality adjustable mags. I just bought the tactical innovations aluminum mag at the recommendation of someone on here and I love it. I can honestly say there is ZERO slop in this mag once adjusted. Really, no slop and no failures. I can hold the rifle by the mag and shake it and no movement. I bought a steel lip BC mag before this one, has about 50 rds thought it and in my opinion, it's a paper weight.
    Ruger006.jpg

9. SleepynSeattle

SleepynSeattle Seattle Member

Use steel lip 25 rounders. Break them in by fulling loading and leaving them for a couple weeks. It'll ease up tension on the spring, without weakening it. After that you won't have any issues, and they last for a very long time. If that's all you have, just don't load them past 20 for a little while and they'll eventually break in....

10. gunguy88

gunguy88 Boise Idaho New Member

I use the TI-25 100% RELIABLE,Fully adjustable,steel lips,polymer body,cheaper version.

11. Gaust

Gaust Portland Member

I had problems with the first Butler Creek mag I purchased also. After a little research I sprayed it out with cleaner and an air hose. Then added a drop of oil. Since then I have not had any problems with that magazine. I bought two more and they have been fine. All of them have the plastic lips.

12. USMC Doc

USMC Doc Portland Area Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

I have the same mags and love them. Once I got them adjusted, ZERO feeding problems.

13. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

The plastic lip mags work alright after a a couple hundred rounds until they have about 800-1000 when they become too loose. I picked up some of the TI 25 (the plastic ones you can park a truck on:thumbup:) and haven't used the BCs since.

14. TANSTAAFL

TANSTAAFL Downtown Seattle Member

I have 2 tactical innovation aluminium mags like in the photo above (you can get them in colors as well, mine are black). They are fantastic, no issues, but usually a wait and somewhat expensive. You'll never buy another plastic mag again however.

Bonus, they are based out of Bonner's! So you'd be supporting NorID and a Northwest dealer.

Also a good reason to go with Nightforce, beside a great product, who hail from the very weird bizarro world of Orofino.

15. JuryRig

JuryRig Eburg, WA New Member

I've tried several brands of aftermarket mags for the 10/22, and none of them worked consistently except for tactical innovations. Worth ever penny.

16. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I was never able to get butler creek hot lips mags to work in my 10/22 either.

17. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Anyone try the Blackdog 10/22 mags? I know their .22 AR mags are very reliable,,,

18. ablaut

ablaut Salem(ish), OR Member

I picked up those same 25-round magazine at Bi-Mart, too. They jam often, especially the top 5 or so rounds. I've just been using the stock one lately. It's good to know there are plenty of good-quality alternatives.

19. otterpop123

otterpop123 Vancouver New Member

You want the steel fed lip

My grandpa gave me his and he had a 50 round clip with a plastic lip.it jamd!

Always get the steel fed lip. Are we :cool:

20. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

+1 for tactical inc.
    Both of mine have been perfect.