JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i just got a ruger 10-22 last weekend from bimart (brand new obviously)
when i took it out after i got it i noticed about 1/10th of the rounds fired would not go off, i went through about 200 rounds.
after inspection of the rounds i noticed that sometimes the firing pin just wasnt hitting them hard enough and would barely put a mark in them.
other then that it was feeding fine and everything else seemed great.

i was using ccm mini mags through it.
i got the all weather ss

anyone else have this problem, or know of any fixes for this?

yeah i took it back and gave it a good cleaning that night, they wont take firearms back so i would have to send it in to ruger. i am trying to avoid having to do that.
could it just be maybe a faulty firing pin?

Have you lubed it? May not be returning to battery fully because of drag and not being broken in yet. Next time it missfires make sure bolt is fully closed also check to see if extractor is catching on the barrel from improper allignment.

I don't know the 10/22 that well but,look at the trigger group.Take it out and pull the trigger while holding onto the hammer.Feel for any kind of roughness or binding while letting it ride forward slowly.Do this several times.If you could, post a pic of the bolt face with the bolt removed.

yeah i lubed it all up when i got back that night, i will most likely go out again this coming weekend and give it another try i will post the results of that.
the other thing i was thinking is i dont remember it doing it with the stock mag, just the banana mag that i purchased seperately. i could be wrong on that though, next time i am out i will make sure

What brand of mag was it? The Butler creeks reguler red lip has had its problems whre the steel lips work great. I would definately make sure to try the factory mag to verify the gun is the problem.

Browse rimfirecentral.com.I think I had that same problem a long time ago and found the solution there. If I recall correctly, the fix that did it was a polishing job to the bolt face, and a bolt carrier deburring. Or maybe it was a little firing pin polishing. Sorry, bad memory. :( May also need to be broken in a bit more. Try other ammo. Do the duds fire if you strike them a 2nd time?

i will make sure to tear it completly down this week sometime and give everything a good lubin and next weekend when i take it out i will try both mags again just to see if it is the aftermarket mag that is my problem, i will also bring a few different kinds of ammo

i will make sure to tear it completly down this week sometime and give everything a good lubin and next weekend when i take it out i will try both mags again just to see if it is the aftermarket mag that is my problem, i will also bring a few different kinds of ammo

I have had a recent problem with the CCI current production having too much lube (wax)on the tips and building up, not allowing bolts to fully seat and causing missfeeds, so different ammo is a good plan if the factory mag isnt the problem.

yeah my friend was out that day with me using the same ammo in his s&w AR 22 and it was working flawlessly for him, but i will give anything a shot

Go to brownells and order yourself a new hammer spring......One of the most common problems with firearms is spring related. I have seen a rash of faulty springs from various manufactures in the last year. Ruger 10/22's being a repeat, for light firing pin strikes.

RUGER : HAMMER SPRING - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

This will save you the hassle of packing, shipping etc. Also check to make sure the hammer drag, as I think someone else said.

Last Edited:
thanks for the reply.
i was looking at an aftermarket firing pin on midway and on the reviews for it, it said the same thing (faulty hammer spring)

first off, be very carefull how much and what type of lube you use. "blow back" type actions get very dirty, very quickly because 22 ammunition is filthy. too much lube will just increase any problems. cci ammo is probably some of the best 22 ammo on the market when it comes to consistancy and lack of misfires. also, you may want to give some serious thought to the hammer spring swap before you change it out. going to a heavier hammer spring can cause ejection problems if you do not always fire high velosity ammunitioin. pinning the firing pin is a good place to start when your talking about light firing pin strikes as well as re-shaping the forward end of the firing pin. you should also check the firing pin protrusion to ensure propper strikes. 10/22's are mass produced with very little detail to fit and finish, but can be a fine, accurate rifle with a little work. PM if you need any help.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top