JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We just bought a 10/22 with the intention of turning it into a tack driver. I would appreciate some input on barrels. I realize that you don't always get what you pay for. I'm willing to spend money on a good one, but would like to get the most bang for my buck (pun intended)

So I am looking at 10/22s. I hate spending $4-500 on a 22!
The local shop has a 10/22 with a .980 hammer forged barrel.Fajen stock
Has to be a tack driver.
It's OK with Blazer ammo. I mean it will do MOA,but come on.This should be making 1 hole.

I buy a VERY used stainless (bull BBl is stainless,btw) 10/22 standard rifle,hunting taper.
MOFO is deadly accurate! With open sites!... A little over $100. It was so used the trigger was very smooth.

I did put a Volquartson on my hot rod 10/22 and it got the groups I wanted,expected,but at an additional $200

So the moral of the story is,buy a decent 10/22 and try as many different ammos as possible,then decide if you need another barrel

IMO the best bang for the buck barrels are Green Mountain bbls. If you are concerned with weight and are willing to spend a little more Whistle Pig are very good, plus they are local to Oregon.
You can spend (a lot) more but I think after $150 or so you reach the point of diminishing returns on the 10/22. Also make sure you fix the factory trigger pull with a volquartsen or power custom hammer kit. No matter how good the barrel is the factory 8lb trigger is not conducive to accuracy. Best $30-$40 you'll spend on it.

green mountain barrels are good
work with the parts you have before you waste the money on a "kit" trigger.
For the kind of money I see spent on a 10/22, You can buy a real target rifle.

But the big question is, are you capable of tack driver accuracy?
In my experience the gun is better than the shooter.

My son's 10/22 has a green mountain bull barrel and the darn thing is crazy accurate. Trigger was garbage so for Christmas I gave him a Volquartsen hammer. We just put it in tonight. BIG difference. Last Christmas gave him a laminated thumbhole stock. It makes for a very sweet gun. Now on to mine. I scored on a Kimber of Oregon, Clackamas 10/22 replacement SS Bull barrel. I have a SS std barrel on mine so I need to open up the stock so it will fit. Can't wait to try it out. My son always out shoots me, but now......:)

Actually I am capable of tack driver accuracy. This is a rifle that I bought for my son so we could do a project together. I'm fully aware that I can buy match grade rifles for the money that I will finally spend on this one. But, where is the fun in that?

I like the Tactical Solutions barrel I put on mine. Very much a tack driver!
005.jpg

Actually I am capable of tack driver accuracy. This is a rifle that I bought for my son so we could do a project together. I'm fully aware that I can buy match grade rifles for the money that I will finally spend on this one. But, where is the fun in that?

+1 It's a lot of fun to build these things up. They are like the small block chevy of the rifle world, and a great father-son project.
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, you may want to check out RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! It's full of 10/22 junkies sharing all their accuracy secrets.
I put maybe 50 rounds through mine before I changed out the barrel, stock, and hammer. After my dad saw the single holes it was punching I convinced him to upgrade his (couple decades and thousands of rounds old) too.
Mine consists of: green mountain 16" fluted bull barrel (threaded by hi-desertdog for a can), houge bull bbl overmold stock, volquartsen target hammer, auto bolt release, extended mag release, and decent optics. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Best accuracy so far is with cci subsonic HPs and Wolf match target ammo.

I just put together a 10/22 with a 1:9 twist barrel for Aquila 60g subs. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but I heard the setup is very accurate. I like the idea of a suppressed 22 with night/Yukon scope. A fart in the wind.

Still waiting on a Red Jacket ZF-22 PS90 clone 10/22. Maybe here ... someday ... fun plinker I am sure.

I've built 2 10-22s with whistling pig barrels. WhistlePig GunBarrel Co They aren't cheap but they shoot awesome! 1 hole groups with most all types of ammo out to 100 yards. A member on here sells his own aluminum shrouded barrels and I've used 1 of them with great results, for a fraction of the price of a "name" brand barrel. His name is gophish I believe.
Here's a thread I started for people to show off their 10-22s: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/show-your-10-22-builds.44584/
DSCN2679-1_zps39784968.jpg

I want to buy a target 10/22 but I still doubt the accuracy potential. I see lots of people talk about one hole groups. I'm not easily convinced. If anyone has some targets they could post with the details of the barrel, stock, trigger, modifications and any other information would really help me decide if I want a 10/22 and what I need to do to it to make it accurate. If someone could even post some multiple one inch groups at 100 yards that would be impressive to me. All my 10/22 experience was more of a pattern at 100 yards than a group.

And no offense to anyone. Some really nice looking rifles posted. I could make a decision on coolness factor based on what I'm seeing.

Here's my build with an on sale green mountain barrel (about $120 or so), kidd bolt, bolt bits and drop in single stage trigger (2.5 lbs), stock receiver. 5 shot group at 50 yards. It seems accurate enough.

IMG_0281.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads