JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm willing to buy the silly stamp and wait 6-7 months for ATF to approve it.

And I know a really good machinist who specializes in NFA weps, so I figure it'll be fun to make a 10/22 pistol/rifle with probably a 6-8" barrel, threaded on the end (of course) since ATF is already sitting on my paperwork for a silencer to fit various other .22's in my small collection.

Then I'll just get stupid with all the Volquartzen upgrades, sexy optics, lights, folding stocks, etc. Sort of a 25-round Swiss Army knife that's cheap to feed.

Would really like to read here about good ideas, bad ideas, must-haves, etc. Pictures would be cool too. I can make a fine rough sketch of what a nice chopper or cafe racer should look like. But a little folder .22? Not so much. Looking for ideas from those who've already been where I want to go.

Thanks in advance for sage advice, encouragement, warnings, gun p*rn, etc.

PS, maybe if that all works out, I'll start looking for a full-auto stamp and compatible trigger pack. Life is short, and cool guns are... well... cool!

If pistol, think about a Promag Archangel Charger. Use a 5" threaded barrel + your suppressor = about the end of the rail, Magpul AFG in front, NO ATF. Rails for all your stuff/toys.

If rifle, consider a Tac-Sol SBX barrel w/ shroud for the suppressor. The barrel encases/shrouds the suppressor instead of screwing on the end.

Technically the barrel itself is 12" or so, but the shroud is part of it and permanent so the ATF goes by the overall length which is 16". (hope that makes sense, if not, youtube it).

Then whatever Tactical stock fits your taste. Troy makes a nice one. Promag Marauder, Archangel, etc. Again, no ATF. The SBX barrels are under extreme demand and hard to come by though.

Use only BX-25 mags and CCI mini mags for the best reliability.

Look at KIDD products as well as Volquartzen. KIDD caters more to the fun/tactical crowd, Volquartzen to the serious match shooters. Kidd makes nice extended charging handle, (engraved/fancy) bolt, subsonic spring kits that go well with a suppressed .22.
http://www.coolguyguns.com/

I'll get flamed for saying so, but if you want to have something fun, short, Non-NFA - look into Red Jacket's bullpup, the ZK-22. I have one coming this month :). Go 'different' than all the tactical 22s you see out there. Getting an 18.5" barrel is a pain, so get a 20" and have it cut/threaded. Its overall length is only 26" (that is why you need the 18.5" barrel, to meet that length). Hard to get anything shorter than that even going SBR.

Red Jacket Firearms - Sons of Guns - Red Jacket ZK-22 Bullpup Stock

If you go dedicated .22 SBR rifle I would get a high end KIDD, TacSol or other receiver to register vs the stock Ruger receiver. Something you'll never sell.

Have fun - .22s rock!

Then I'll just get stupid with all the Volquartzen upgrades, sexy optics, lights, folding stocks, etc. Sort of a 25-round Swiss Army knife that's cheap to feed.

You might want to consider some of the good stuff from KIDD. Welcome to Kidd Innovative Design

Start cheap; get their bolt buffer for quiet cycling. Might also consider the cocking assembly too, or at least polish your guide rod.

Send your bolt to Que for tuning. https://sites.google.com/site/quesplace/

The best $70 I've spent on my 10/22 was to get a trigger job from BrimstoneGunsmithing - Brimstone Gunsmithing

If I were to go with a pure 10/22 SBR it would be something like this:

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Good ammoz and good magz, make a fun little toy. I went on the cheap on mine, but I do need to get a better trigger in it. :)

010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Through a couple different set ups this is about where mine currently is. If I were to do again- I'd probably just buy an X-Ring receiver and do a full SBR build off that

20120326_192351.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I run an SWR Warlock that will hopefully be going back into to be rebuilt into a take apart can soon! It has a cheapy smooth handguard on it now until I decide for sure what want on there.

SBR an ar lower and build as much stuff as you want.. upgrading a 10/22 is throwing good money after bad money
i is always going to be loud and inaccurate.

Not entirely accurate IMO. My 10/22 SBR is quieter than my .22 AR SBR. You can't quiet the AR action, but you can with the 10/22. With the proper twist, accuracy may be a wash,,,

Not entirely accurate IMO. My 10/22 SBR is quieter than my .22 AR SBR. You can't quiet the AR action, but you can with the 10/22. With the proper twist, accuracy may be a wash,,,

the noise the action makes can be mitigated by devising a method to lock the action closed, covert operatives in WW2 had .22 auto hand guns set up for that. But you might as well be using a bolt action (or a single shot), after shooting unlocking the bolt and manually chambering another round would kill the fun.

Post a link to these AR buffers? I wasn't aware of any buffers made for the AR .22's. I do know buffers are made for the 10/22, and they quiet them down considerably.
Not a link but a grommit or thick oring helps.
JACRubberMod4websized-1.jpg
I have done other mods to quiet things down but I'm not about to post them just yet as last time
I posted pictures of a good Idea spikes and a couple others ran with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top