JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just in case anyone out there cares; be it known, the Ruger rifles chambered for 7.62x39mm have a .308 bore, not the .311 bore the regular 7.62x39mm guns have. So if you are reloading for it, you will probably get less wear and better groups if you use .308 diameter bullets.

I bought a recent production Ruger American Predator chambered. Pretty much just because it takes AR mags. The bolt machining left a lot to be desired - I spent several hours stoning and polishing it to get it to lose some of the zipper sound. Trigger is "okay" and it shoots good groups though. If I had to do it again, I'd probably buy something else though.

E83F3820-719C-4626-8102-CFB2E3589D96.jpeg

As mentioned, I have a pallet of X39, PAX
Me.....I have dreams. LOL.

I seem to recall the mention of the pallet, .308 and hunting. Confusing to me . But anyway....your 2nd post.

When I think of "commie ammo". I think of it as.......most of that "cheap commie ammo," ain't "hunting ammo". But, if your pallet is suitable for your needs.......well, more power to you.

Mind you that I don't hunt. Anyway, I asked a friend of mine about his "hunting ammo" on several occasions. He basically said that after spending all that time and money to go hunt.....

"Why gamble on using surplus ammo? Besides, most surplus is FMJ."

Then, another friend told me that a box of 20 rounds was enough for his hunting season needs.

BUT, But, but......I know for a fact, that I once traded with another friend.....a box of my .30 cal Match 168 gr. HBHP bullets. And, he said he was gonna use it for hunting.

Whatever.

If someone wants to hunt with whatever......it ain't in my dreams. That all being said.....YOU having a pallet of commie ammo (or whatever else).

Well, I'm envious.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
As mentioned, I have a pallet of X39, PAX
Sometimes I really regret not buying a pallet of 54r back in the day. That or 5.45. You could always get repackaged stuff at most sores for 2-3 bucks a pack of 50 back then so buying huge amounts didn't register.

Me.....I have dreams. LOL.

I seem to recall the mention of the pallet, .308 and hunting. Confusing to me . But anyway....your 2nd post.

When I think of "commie ammo". I think of it as.......most of that "cheap commie ammo," ain't "hunting ammo". .
.....YOU having a pallet of commie ammo (or whatever else).

Well, I'm envious.

Aloha, Mark
I have a boat load of SKSs and before the plague I bought ammo cheap and stacked it deep, rifles too,
sks-rack.jpg Mostly FMJ but I've got HP & SP too but it's no good in Kali for hunting, has to be bi-metal.

I also have a ton of X54 to for the Mosins and SVT, I try to have a minimum of 1K of my primary calibers, 9mm, .357, .45, even .41 mag, ,30-06, X51 (.308), 7mm.. Only 500 rounds each of .30-30, .270, .22-250, and of course buckets of .22lr. But my deer rig is a .308 Savage 99F. I'm still on my first box of that. PAX

Last Edited:
Great gun with excellent accuracy for bulk steel cased ammo. I put mine in a chassis and ditched the oem stock.

Just in case anyone out there cares; be it known, the Ruger rifles chambered for 7.62x39mm have a .308 bore, not the .311 bore the regular 7.62x39mm guns have. So if you are reloading for it, you will probably get less wear and better groups if you use .308 diameter bullets.
Ruger has produced many rifles through the years in 7.62X39 in many different models. Are you positive with your statement that Ruger rifle barrels in that caliber have .308 bores and will take 308 bullets?

Great gun with excellent accuracy for bulk steel cased ammo. I put mine in a chassis and ditched the oem stock.

Other than glass I tried not to go down the modification rabbit hole, mainly for the primary reason for acquisition, cheap initial costs. But I should have started out with the mag well swap to AK or AR mag usage. after wasting money on Magpul crap. I have a few WASR 10 single stack I'd like too use but it's a strech. PAX

Are you positive with your statement that Ruger rifle barrels in that caliber have .308 bores and will take 308 bullets?
When the 'Mini Thirty' first came out, there was a notification of the bore diameter being .308. With the apparent success of that platform, I can't imagine them changing things. You could always contact them to verify.

I don't think it makes that much difference on pressures as I've run rooskie boolets through my 300BLK without issue also

When the 'Mini Thirty' first came out, there was a notification of the bore diameter being .308. With the apparent success of that platform, I can't imagine them changing things. You could always contact them to verify.

I don't think it makes that much difference on pressures as I've run rooskie boolets through my 300BLK without issue also
I heard the older Rugers in X39 were .308" as you noted. I called Ruger before purchasing mine and they said the RARR was .310" IIRC, which is what the barrel in mine slugged.

My CZ 527 in X39 slugged .312"

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top