JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Fellas
Anybody running one of these guys? Ruger American Ranch in Commie X39 caliber. I'm hoping it's a decent set up with Vortex 2-7X32 glass.
It and a Henry Big Boy.41 mag are the only new centerfire rifles I've ever bought. PAX

X39-bolt-001.jpg

Last Edited:
Hi Fellas
Anybody running one of these guys? Rugar American Ranch in Commie X39 caliber. I'm hoping it's a decent set up with Vortex 2-7X32 glass.
It and a Henry Big Boy.41 mag are the only new centerfire rifles I've ever bought. PAX

View attachment 1413276
My buddy has one. It's pretty similar to 30-30, so why not take advantage of the cheaper ammo? The stock is pretty flimsy, but then again, it's only a few hundred bucks.

I have a lot of experience with these.

Shooting commie ammo, the accuracy is mediocre.

Stepping up to domestic and/or brass cased ammo with decent bullets, the accuracy can be outstanding. Problem is, domestic and/or brass cased 7.62x39 ammo is very expensive. That's why I switched back to .308 in the same basic rifle.

The premise of such a rifle is otherwise excellent.

And the flimsy stock comment? I have apparently had a better experience.

:cool:

Last Edited:
And I will disagree with the flimsy stock comment. These stocks are great.
Maybe his was cheaper? If you grabbed the stock with one hand near the end, it would definitely contact the barrel. It's definitely not a Titan stock.
"A Glass Filled Nylon that is so tough, you could club to death a medium sized rhino with it if you were so inclined."

If that's not an effective sales pitch, I don't know what is.

I have a lot of experience with these.
Shooting commie ammo, the accuracy is mediocre. Problem is, domestic and/or brass cased 7.62x39 ammo is very expensive. That's why I switched back to .308 in the same basic rifle.
And I will disagree with the flimsy stock comment. These stocks are great.
I have .308 bolt and lever rifles. I got it mainly as a potential paper killer & some time deer rifle (?) and I have a pallet of ammo.
Maybe his was cheaper? If you grabbed the stock with one hand near the end, it would definitely contact the barrel. It's definitely not a Titan stock.
"A Glass Filled Nylon that is so tough, you could club to death a medium sized rhino with it if you were so inclined."

Thanks for the input Guys,
The stock IS fugly and kinda poor fitting but stays put. I'd rather have had a CZ, I prefer wood to synth but they cost almost double what I paid and don't have the mag interchangeability with the Mini30, AR, or AK. It was inexpensive. PAX

Having seen the comparison of this and the 527. It'sa meh. The 527 takes crap ammo and makes it look like match ammo. The Ruger shoots both with about the expected results.

I had one in .300BO that the stock felt like a milk carton. It was beyond flimsy. It was a lemon on other fronts and had to be returned. The replacement gun has a flimsy, but usable stock. It also can chamber a round without damaging the brass and tremendous force. So something was clearly wrong with the original one I got, but in my experience some of these have really flimsy stocks.

I vastly prefer the 527s I have
I used to heavily advocate for the American line. But post Covid, I feel like Ruger started cutting corners to keep the price the same-ish so as to continue selling them. The stuff they care about all doubled or tripled in price.

I have both a RARR and a CZ 527 carbine in X39. Enjoy them both. Although I haven't had a chance to fire the Ruger extensively, it has worked well for me so far. Ruger cost me a little more than half what the CZ cost. And yes, there are a number of differences in what the extra $ gets you.

I have the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. I put a PA 1-6x optic on it and it's great. Will shoot well with cheap steel case ammo. I'm planning on getting the 5.56 version as well.

I have not began actually reloading for it yet, but picked up dies and have been hoarding brass and bullets. :D

I used to heavily advocate for the American line. But post Covid, I feel like Ruger started cutting corners to keep the price the same-ish so as to continue selling them. The stuff they care about all doubled or tripled in price.
mine was pre covid. (Remember when Jeremy did that big Ruger deal?) I got one bum gun out of that batch. Now, I bought quite a few rugers at that point. and I own quite a few, but that one gun was a wreck.

I do not want to consider how many rugers I own.

My Ruger is a first gen production it's been fantastic but I have heard the same thing repeated by others on a Ruger forum.

mine was pre covid. (Remember when Jeremy did that big Ruger deal?) I got one bum gun out of that batch. Now, I bought quite a few rugers at that point. and I own quite a few, but that one gun was a wreck.

I do not want to consider how many rugers I own.

My Ruger is a first gen production it's been fantastic but I have heard the same thing repeated by others on a Ruger forum.
I've owned 2x Ruger Ranch 556 rifles. I had one when they first came out. I think I paid under $300 for it on sale. For that price it was a hell of a value. Also had an earlier 30-06 a 308 varmint, and numerous 22lr Americans. like most things I own, I'll find a way to get bored of them and sell them off. Or life changes, whatnot, best part of the older Oregonian version of the 2nd was that I could buy and sell all the time.

Anyways…

Got an itch again for another bolty in 223/556. Now closer to $400-$500 as high as $600 lately, I paid just under $500 and it was a complete cluster F compared to what the first one was. I feel like the stock was thinner, and that's saying a lot. It's as if they looked at ways to cut costs all over. Less plastic in the stock. Less fitting of the bolt to receiver. Less fitting of the extractor to bolt. Just felt loose holding it. Accuracy dropped too from the first. The first was a great shooter.

Yes, example size of one. There are others posting about this online, but they are still decent quality for cost. I just think Covid hurt Ruger enough to force them to squeeze as much as possible out of tooling and it turned it from a diamond in the rough, to a zirconia.

Hopefully that that is behind us, things will start getting bettter?

Got one this Fall in 300 BO. Stock seems fine for what it is. Action very rough, so I coated it with J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound and cycled until it ran smoothly (200-300 cycles). Intention is subsonic/suppressed when my silencers get out of jail, otherwise might have gone 7.62 Commie.

Not a fine rifle, but a serviceable workin' man's tool like the 30-30 lever guns were in my youth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top