1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Rudimentary Question: Buying & Shipping an Out-of-State C&R Rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Will_Power, Mar 28, 2014.

  1. Will_Power

    Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

    Likes Received:

    I'm about to go ahead and buy a Swiss K31, but this will be my first time ordering out-of-state / online.

    What exactly are the steps involved here? I know I need to find an FFL, but it's specifically one that will accept FFL shipments from an individual, right?

    So, do I contact the FFL first, get that cleared up, and then pass the FFL's info onto the seller/shipper?

    Lastly, any recommendations in the SW Portland area for an FFL that will take a shipment from an individual?
  2. python287

    python287 Neskowin,OR Active Member

    Likes Received:
    If you obtained a Curios & Relics FFL you could have it shipped directly to you . The C&R Lic is only $30 and is pretty easy to get. Otherwise you need to get an FFL dealer to accept it. I would contact an FFL first. IN the meantime go get your C&R Lic.
    bnsaibum and Nwcid like this.
  3. PDXSparky

    PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    We should all take this advice, myself included.
  4. Dapapadon

    Dapapadon Gladstone, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    Me too! Been putting it off too long.

    OP - Good luck on the K31. I plan to get one just not sure when.
    PDXSparky likes this.
  5. bnsaibum

    bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

    Likes Received:
    As Python said, the license is $30. It is good for 3 years and is relatively easy and quick to get. If you go this route DON'T SIGN THE ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!! Let me repeat that - DON'T! SIGN! THE! ORIGINAL! It doesn't hurt for you to sign it, but when you send copies they must be signed as well, not a copy of your signature. You can get duplicates, but they cost for each one. I forget the exact particulars, but to order C&R you need to send a copy of your license with a signature (not copied) and then the seller can send the firearm directly to you (C&R eligible firearms ONLY!). I am pretty sure that any such shipment will need to require an adult, non-prohibited person's signature upon receipt.

    I am not an attorney of any sort so do your own homework or consult a real attorney for clarification.
    PDXSparky likes this.