JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll take stab at it from what I saw on the video.

Before everyone damns all involved to the pits of hell for what happened, we'll need to hear the dispatch recording. In other words, what was actually called in, and what was relayed to the Officers.

Until then folks, there's really nothing to get lathered up about. But as goes with these threads about "Cops", seems we need to condemn before we get the facts. But I guess its more fun to to stir up dirty laundry, than research the truth.

If the call was a man who had done something with the rifle, would the Officers response be more in line? More than likely, yes.

If the call was just a man with a rifle walking down the sidewalk...then yep, the response was way overboard.

With society on edge about firearms...it's folks like this that are making it hard on the rest of us.

As for Open Carry" laws in WA. State. Let's look;

Washington is an “open carry” state for firearms. This means there is a presumption that carrying a handgun in an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically prohibited. Open carry does not require a license.

RCW 9.41.270 states “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of others.”

So now the million dollar question...is open carry of a firearm, in this case a rifle, enough to "...warrant alarm for the safety of others.”" It could, but;

In this law, mere possession of an openly carried handgun, or in this case a rifle, is not prohibited. In order to support an enforcement action under this law, the officer must be able to articulate (describe in a convincing manner) malicious intent by the suspect or circumstances that reasonably cause alarm to the public. In either case, because open carry in Washington is presumably legal, the articulation must include something beyond mere, open possession.

In conclusion, if the guy was just walking down the sidewalk with it, hopefully slung and not carried in hand...I think its an over reaction by the LEO's BUT, only IF that's what was told to the responding Officers.

IF the info. was more malicious sounding, then the Officers had the right to stop and detain. The dispatch recording holds the key here.

As for letting him go, then arresting him...REALLY? Why not let the guy get to his car and go away, thus ending the whole problem?

I can remember years ago the first time I witnessed someone open carrying at a fast food restaurant in Vancouver. Somehow I managed to not freak out and call the cops because hey, the guy was behaving normally just getting his food. I looked the guy over and he did not appear threatening just because their was a gun in his waistband. Seems to me like the whole problem started when people called 911 on a man that had committed no crime. I can understand the private property argument and Big Al's certainly has the right to refuse service to him if he's violating their policy but I guess it's easier for them to call the cops and waste their precious time than to deal with it themselves. Now that I think about it, I can't remember ever having to call the cops for anything myself...

Last Edited:
When he talks about "normalizing the carry of firearms" i was impressed. Makes way to much sense. I am willing to fight along the side of someone exercising their right to open carry in Washington. I would love for it to become the norm for people to open carry firearms down the street.

Open carrying a rifle is not something I personally would do walking down the street alone. Going to a rally or during some sort of natural disaster I might. To each their own though, who am I to say what you think is appropriate protection for yourself.

Do I think more people should do it? It is sort of a toss up for me. I think it could be a good test to put law enforcement through and see where their training stands. I just don't think the result is ever "good enough". So maybe there is an internal investigation as a result.. not something we will ever see the outcome on. Often the officers involved just get a slap on the wrist and back to work they go with nothing changed.

I want to see REAL change as a result of these open carry demonstrations. Otherwise we get people thinking hes just attention seeking.
I'd love to see some sort of re education/training of police officers.

It seems like most police (like the ones in this video) seem so jaded. Yeah they probably deal with real arsehole criminals daily, then carry that heightened sense of threat/attitude over on to law abiding citizens. Maybe train officers to decompress after real criminal encounters before getting back on the streets. We might see less over reactions and probably less lawsuits as a result.

I'll take stab at it from what I saw on the video.

Before everyone damns all involved to the pits of hell for what happened, we'll need to hear the dispatch recording. In other words, what was actually called in, and what was relayed to the Officers.

Until then folks, there's really nothing to get lathered up about. But as goes with these threads about "Cops", seems we need to condemn before we get the facts. But I guess its more fun to to stir up dirty laundry, than research the truth.

If the call was a man who had done something with the rifle, would the Officers response be more in line? More than likely, yes.

If the call was just a man with a rifle walking down the sidewalk...then yep, the response was way overboard.

With society on edge about firearms...it's folks like this that are making it hard on the rest of us.

As for Open Carry" laws in WA. State. Let's look;

Washington is an “open carry” state for firearms. This means there is a presumption that carrying a handgun in an exposed holster, for instance, is legal except where it is specifically prohibited. Open carry does not require a license.

RCW 9.41.270 states “It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of others.”

So now the million dollar question...is open carry of a firearm, in this case a rifle, enough to "...warrant alarm for the safety of others.”" It could, but;

In this law, mere possession of an openly carried handgun, or in this case a rifle, is not prohibited. In order to support an enforcement action under this law, the officer must be able to articulate (describe in a convincing manner) malicious intent by the suspect or circumstances that reasonably cause alarm to the public. In either case, because open carry in Washington is presumably legal, the articulation must include something beyond mere, open possession.

In conclusion, if the guy was just walking down the sidewalk with it, hopefully slung and not carried in hand...I think its an over reaction by the LEO's BUT, only IF that's what was told to the responding Officers.

IF the info. was more malicious sounding, then the Officers had the right to stop and detain. The dispatch recording holds the key here.

As for letting him go, then arresting him...REALLY? Why not let the guy get to his car and go away, thus ending the whole problem?
I am no fan of the swat/patrol look-smell-feel but......to label-condemn all police as the enemy ? Innocent until proven guilty right , I believe no Police contact is good contact . The situation is FUBAR , BLUE-LINE goes along way but ......there are good guys out there......and hopefully old fashioned GOOD will prevail ....OR MAYBE more 5.56 and 40 for my guns .
BUT COME ON , IF YOU SEE AN OFFICER W/LONG GUN SLUNG WALKING THE STREET.........I GET CONCERNED . To challenge an officer to a law debate without letting him check his Rook book . I don't like being called out either.....A REAL cop could have ended that debacle by de-escalating both his officers and the citizen .
If we ever find strangers strolling our street ( WOOD/BLACK GUNS ) I would take arms and intercept if loitering . F%@# calling the law , it would take em' 30+ just to get in area ( ALL EXCEPT FOR CCSO around corner . I'd call his house if needed ......nice guy....minds his own business.... Semi + full rates of fire can be heard weekly from my plot . BUT I TALK/LISTEN TO MY COMMUNITY......THEY KNOW IF THEY SEE ME ON OUR STREET WITH A RIFLE 1) SLUNG = ALL GOOD 2) IN HAND = MIND YOUR BUSINESS......JUST KIDDING...
JACKASS COULD HAVE SAVED HIMSELF THE HASSLE OF GETTING YOUR GUNS OUT OF PROPERTY ROOM........JUST BY REMOVING HIS MAGAZINE AFTER HE MADE HIS POINT......THAT WOULD HAVE ALLOWED ANY " DECENT" OFFICER THE LATITUDE TO CALL OFF THE DOGS . bubblegum HE COULD HAVE CALLED 911 AND DESCRIBED HIS VEHICLE TROUBLES....

BOTTOM-LINE UNTIL THEY REPEAL THE "PATRIOT ACT" WE HAVE NO RIGHTS........SO SAY THE SHEEP........SURE THEY HAVE NOT DECLARED THE CONSTITUTION NULL AND VOID IN THE STATE OF THE UNION ...YOU CAN JUST DISAPPEAR FOR WHAT-EVER.......LEGALLY AND IF ANY ONE TALKS ABOUT IT , THEY CAN GO TO....FOREVER.......WHAT RIGHTS DO WE HAVE LEGALLY.......NONE WHILE THATS ACCEPTABLE BY THE MAJORITY.........HOW MANY YEARS??????? SO DECIDE WHEN ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ....LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT IS THE LEAST OF OUR PROBLEMS . WE CAN COUNT THEM......WE NEED THEM........THEY HAVE RADIOS ,PLUS THEY ARE FRIENDS AND FAMILY..........I DON'T MUCH CARE FOR SOME ONE PISSING ON A DOWNTOWN SIDEWALK ( UNLESS THEY CAN'T HOLD IT ) BUT WATCHING ANYONE GET BILLY-CLUBBED-TASERED-MACED-BOOT PARTIED. I'LL BE HEARD/FELT.....BUT THAT LOADED RIFLE JACK-A-LOON AT A FRED MEYER IS GONNA FEEL IT TOO...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just saw this and well let me just say that I know one of the officers in the video.... Not a friend but have talked with him many a times on a one on one basis and they were not in uniform. Not even sure if they knew that I knew they were a cop:) Our kids played baseball together and would talk during games and other activities. Real nice person and not going to judge by the video that was shown.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top