Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

RRA 9mm pistol thread issues .5x36 to Osprey

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Burt Gummer, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I ordered a .5x36 Osprey piston from Silencerco since I read that 9mm carbines/pistols use that thread and had been unsuccessful trying a .5x28.

The thing won't thread on there, won't even start. Been careful not to mess up the threads. :( Really want to play with my new Osprey 45 (use for 9mm/45acp)

I guess I could take it out to Tornado Tech and have a thread pro look it over.

Any tricks? I oiled it up and tried that also and it doesn't want to thread on there.

Different size piston options are nice, but at $80 a pop I'd like the damn things to work.

2. Burt Gummer

Resolved! Thank you Mike at Tornado Tech! SilencerCo piston was threaded too tight, out of spec.

iamme and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Burt Gummer

Received another .5x36 piston from Silencerco. Same, won't thread on. :( Dammit.

I have two .5x36 flash hiders that thread on there. Silencerco's machining tool doesn't make .5x36 correct threads? Don't know.

I would just give up and have Tornado thread it .5x28 but there isn't enough barrel left to do that.

4. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Are the barrel threads within spec?

5. Burt Gummer

All I'll say is if you want a suppressor company that will do everything for you except send you flowers to make you happy, buy a Liberty suppressor (Mystic here).

They not only set me up with a 5x36 for my Colt, they repainted my suppressor and replaced the core for free (slightly damaged).

I love Silencerco and AAC, but Liberty is a cut above. Like dealing with a friend down the street.