Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

rra 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by IheartGUNS, Apr 7, 2012.

1. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Interesting. I'm not quite sure what to think about it at this time. It almost seems like sacrilege. But, very interesting indeed.

3. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

The good part of poly guns is usually higher capacity. We're not seeing that here. To me, this seems like a downgrade. No thanks.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  4. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

what Spray said.

5. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I would have to agree on the downgrade. Still, dropping 6 oz. off of the 1911 is a good place to start if you want it to be a viable carry option.

6. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

Eh, I don't think I'll be converted. At least two companies already make (or made) a poly frame 1911. STI and Wilson Combat KZ-45.
    As someone above noted, if you're going to change it, at least increase the capacity, which both STI and KZ-45 do.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. gunjunky

gunjunky Arlington, WA Active Member

I am not sure it would be for me as the 1911 should be steel. However, I have one with a Ti frame and want one with aluminium so why not plastic. It would save some weight and should be simple to clean and should offer inexpensive manufacturing which may keep the price point down for budget minded shoppers. RRA use to make some of the nicest 1911's on the market. Bet they sell a ton of them to generatin Glock.

8. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

RRA did make some arguably some of the NICEST 1911's before. I think it's a great concept- weight savings while maintaining the 1911 ergos/parts. It is hard to see a plastic 1911 and smile, well STI is an exception but that's their gig!!

9. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I just can't get my head around a Polymer frame 1911. That being said, if the polymer technology of today had been around when John Browning was alive, he probably would have looked at utilizing it.

10. iamme

Have you ever shot an STI out of curiosity?

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only polymer used in the STI's was the mainspring housing and the trigger in some models. Does STI make an all polymer frame 1911?

BTW, I seriously considered buying an STI a year or so back. I have heard they are awesome 1911's for the money.

12. iamme

Sti 2011 models. I owned a Tactical and it's been one of my favorite "1911's".