JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I took out my RPR today and had a chance to run it for the first time. Set up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Ran some cheap PMC Bronze as well as Hornady Black and another match grade ammo. About 60 rounds total. The range I went to requires a 25 yard "sight in" for new rifles.

So at 25 yards, I put two in the same hole about 1" above bullseye. Windage was perfect.

At 200 yards I missed the target altogether. We switch back to the 50/100 yard range. At 50 I'm at the very top of the paper. So a few more shots at 50 and 100 and I'm feeling lukewarm but we switch back to the 100/200/300 range.

From there, I was all over the place, including a 4" group at 100. Constant scope adjusting. Never did get anything better than minute of dinner plate. Had the friendly guy next to me shoot it, as he was shooting the same rifle in 6.5CM suppressed. He has the same results.

So just to make sure I wasn't having a seizure while behind the trigger, I shot @SKrueger 's Tikka. Managed to put two in the same hole at 300 about 1" to the right of center. Back to back. So I know it wasn't me. Not only that but I've successfully shot to 800 on a 2/3 silhouette with a .223 AR platform. I know how to shoot. I'm not the best, but I'm better than 4" groups at 100 yards with a $2000 rig.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. The scope and mount were looked at by several people including the RSO. Everyone agreed it was tight and mounted properly. The RSO said I needed to clean and break in the barrel and try different ammo. Another suggested trying a different scope to factor that out...

My question is does this thing really need a 200 round break-in to be accurate, even 1MOA accurate? Or do I have a possible scope/rifle issue. I have a Bushnell Elite I can rob off another gun and will more than likely do that. But wow, what a disappointment. Great day on the range, but I'm sure sitting here contemplating my choice of a 1000 yard gun.

Last Edited:
Mine seemed finicky at first. I have since tightened up to 1/4 MOA at 1,2 & 300 yards where I have been able to shoot. Other guys I spoke with over the course of many journeys to the range all had some story of their RPR giving them some grief. Also though the same as I will say I love my RPR now that I have worked it in a little bit. 200 rnds seems a bit much IMO but 60-100 reasonable.

Question though. Were you grouping at all even though you were so far off once you were able to dial in a little closer? Or was each shot seemingly random at distance?

For shur not the shooter.

My money is on the barrel personally, but a switch in scope would be the next logical swap out imo.

My Ruger gunsight scout and Skrugers Tikka needed no break in at all so I have a hard time believing other then maybe 1/4 moa differerence after a few hundred shots will be achieved.

The scope is high off the barrel but that would just be consistently something, not all over a 16" square like we saw.

Hopefully someone has a fresh outlook on the issue.

Mine seemed finicky at first. I have since tightened up to 1/4 MOA at 1,2 & 300 yards where I have been able to shoot. Other guys I spoke with over the course of many journeys to the range all had some story of their RPR giving them some grief. Also though the same as I will say I love my RPR now that I have worked it in a little bit. 200 rnds seems a bit much IMO but 60-100 reasonable.

Question though. Were you grouping at all even though you were so far off once you were able to dial in a little closer? Or was each shot seemingly random at distance?

What ammo are you using?

And random honestly. 3 inches right, then 4 inches low and left. All over the map. For no reason. 4 MOA accuracy? Terrible.

I got a lot of PRVI 308 Match that has been surprisingly good. But I do hand load and that's where I went from 1/2 to 1/4. But the PRVI is quite good, albeit probably the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot. I am also sticking with 168gr pills for most all that I shoot, even at only 100.

Sounds like a barrel issue, maybe a crown issue, does that look nice and clean? Given the amount of manufacturing dirt and residue left on mine I probably would have been better to do two nights worth of initial cleaning. All seems better now though.

I myself am apparently a Vortex fanboy considering I almost entirely run their optics. Never had any issues myself as of yet but it isn't to say the possibility is not present. Of course if it is a scope issue Vortex will make it right. Their customer service is spectacular if you haven't had to work with them yet.

Vortex fanboy here as well, I run their optics almost exclusively. Something I did notice..the bolt got harder and harder to work when trying to chamber a new round. The round would go into battery fine, but pulling the handle down was increasingly difficult from the first shot to the last. I thought at first it might be dirty, but honestly wouldn't it actually break in and get easier? I'm not sure I even put 70 rounds through it.

Well I have been thinking about this since we left the range. Before you change out the scope I would give it a thorough cleaning and buy some top notch quality ammo.

@v0lcom13sn0w made a good point. Bring the extra scope with you just in case on the next trip.

Well I have been thinking about this since we left the range. Before you change out the scope I would give it a thorough cleaning and buy some top notch quality ammo.

@v0lcom13sn0w made a good point. Bring the extra scope with you just in case on the next trip.

Yeah, I had a few bucks saved to buy a DJI Spark drone. I guess that will have to wait a paycheck or so as I REALLY don't want to take the scope off my 77/22 WMR. That baby is dialed in 100% so I think I'll buy a "cheap" scope for testing purposes. Any suggestions? Like $200 suggestions as I plan on a just using it as a test scope then maybe mount it to an AR.

Our gen1 RPR was pretty accurate at 200 with M80 (? 145gr milspec).

Put a brake on it and it's all over the place now. May leave it on, may take it off...dunno yet.

So yah, maybe play with various projectile weights?

Maybe some 168gr before jumping to 175?

seems odd. the ONLY time ive had something similar happen was because my scope base was loose. took everything apart, blue locktited and reassembled. good to go.

I have had that happen once as well, but my glass is in a Burris PEPR one piece and all is torqued and tight.

Yeah, I had a few bucks saved to buy a DJI Spark drone. I guess that will have to wait a paycheck or so as I REALLY don't want to take the scope off my 77/22 WMR. That baby is dialed in 100% so I think I'll buy a "cheap" scope for testing purposes. Any suggestions? Like $200 suggestions as I plan on a just using it as a test scope then maybe mount it to an AR.

I actually have a Leaupold that you could borrow. Its going to get mounted on a AR eventually but for now its just sitting in the safe.

maybe pick up a leupold vx1 or vortex diamondback? if youre lookin for a $200 scope. my neighbor put a nikon p-223 on his AR. seems to be holding up too.

beat to the punch

Vortex fanboy here as well, I run their optics almost exclusively. Something I did notice..the bolt got harder and harder to work when trying to chamber a new round. The round would go into battery fine, but pulling the handle down was increasingly difficult from the first shot to the last. I thought at first it might be dirty, but honestly wouldn't it actually break in and get easier? I'm not sure I even put 70 rounds through it.

Wow, sounds almost exactly like my experience given more information. Check that bolt face for shavings and oddities. Check inside the chamber too. Those brass shavings I had to deal with were very mashed in there and took some force to get removed. Almost felt I needed a bore scope to see some of the chamber. Since this discovery for me my action has been smooth and getting smoother with more break in. I am only at about 400 or so myself.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews