JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got to say, using the term "protestor" really sounds wrong? There may still be "Protests" going on, but this thing the other night was nothing short of criminal destruction of private property. This destruction was less than 30 blocks from my home. I live my life by common sense. All this criminal behavior that is tolerated, and in some cases has been encouraged, by people in positions of power really twist my brain trying to understand.
Agree. Most of these kids don't even know what they are "protesting" about. It's an excuse to damage stuff, promote anarchy, and for entertainment IMO.

Exact same scenario in Seattle. The council and DA are FAR more dangerous than the Mayor. Heck, our Mayor and several other Mayors have probably had a change of heart after they have been stabbed in the back by these activists, but the DA and the Councils just keep plowing ahead.

I left Seattle in 99. The writing was on the wall back then.

So a couple of things.
1st is a "roving band of thieves" is absolutely NOTHING new to Portland. Its actually really common place in most major cities.
2nd, I recently moved here from Atlanta GA outskirts. There, they charged 2 cops for shooting a man who had just stolen a cop's taser and had fired said taser over the shoulder at pursuing cops. Now, before anyone says "it's just a taser!" it was pretty dark and the cops didn't/couldn't know if it was in fact the taser or possibly a handgun on the perp.
The day murder charges were dropped, Atlanta PD has something like 7 precincts. Normally there are upwards of 40 cops on duty per precinct. For the next few days, there were on average, of 5 cops per precinct. The streets were entirely WORL. Everything from roving bands of armed individuals attempting to protect their livelihoods to armed bands of gang members trying to take over areas or settle beefs with fellow gangs. I have a friend I texted to check on her, after I moved here. She basically is sleeping behind 2 locked doors, with her Glock at the ready.

I have seen 1st hand what happens when cops are not available. Portland is ALMOST there most days and we have seen 1 or 2, where patrol officers are taken off running calls to respond to riot control. When this happens, everything but the most critical calls will simply not be answered.

The level of street crime in Portland is both shocking, and at the same token the 'new normal' to this guy who is coming back to the PDX area after 10 years living elsewhere.

Yep Portland used to be a nice place populated with nice poeple. Now it is an ultra leftist and homeless Mecca. People r rude and agressive and entitled now compared to before.
The people of Portland have been supporting self-destructive policies for decades. I can remember when Vera Katz was giving out $500 grants to entice "young artists" to move there because Portland needed a more creative population. In other words, if you were an unemployed loser below a certain age (I can't remember what the cutoff age was) come to Portland and get a free $500. People should have been outraged at this waste of public money. Instead they re-elected her. No wonder Portland is known in some circles as the city where young people come to retire.

The people of Portland have been supporting self-destructive policies for decades. I can remember when Vera Katz was giving out $500 grants to entice "young artists" to move there because Portland needed a more creative population. In other words, if you were an unemployed loser below a certain age (I can't remember what the cutoff age was) come to Portland and get a free $500. People should have been outraged at this waste of public money. Instead they re-elected her. No wonder Portland is known in some circles as the city where young people come to retire.
Yep, I think she adopted that "Oregon is for dreamers with sucking chest wounds" slogan.

If they file a police report and jump through a few hoops, Ring will replace it for free.

Screenshot_20201122-171041_Chrome.jpg

If they file a police report and jump through a few hoops, Ring will replace it for free.

View attachment 781299
This presupposes that the PPB will actually come to your home and inspect the damage and then file a report.
Given the way the PPB has been "directed" by Teddy this summer, that seems doubtful at best...

View attachment 781299

That is funny.
Little story from about 15 months ago and PPB regarding theft.

I ride a motorcycle. During the warmer months i park it right between my truck and the garage door. I (used) to leave my helmet, gloves, and tank bag on the bike every night. Bike was out of sight of the street.
Came out one morning at 4:30 to leave for work and everything is gone. Including my helmet. I called the police before i went out on a armed recovery mission through the camps at the bottom of the hill. Non emergency said it would be 2-3 hours before an officer could respond.
I came back after a fruitless search. I got a call from an officer that said hed be another hour or so. 1.5 hrs later the watch commander called and cancelled my request to for an officer to come take a report.
I asked why and he said it was insurance issue now. File my loss with my homeowners.
I then asked why was theft a homeowners insurance problems since it was over $1k worth of gear gone. He had no answer. He repeated his statement to call my homeowners insurance.
I informed him next time I wont call. Especially if i catch the thief. Suddenly he had interest and advised me i should call at that point. I politely declined. I told him if your useless in this instance, you are going to be useless in the following instance. I suggested that if he didnt/couldnt/wouldnt do his job he might think about a different career path. I hung up.

IF they arent gonna show up a for a property crime that results in a loss of $1k they sure as hell aint gonna move for $100.
Public safety and policing is in a sad state.

IF they arent gonna show up a for a property crime that results in a loss of $1k they sure as hell aint gonna move for $100.
Public safety and policing is in a sad state.

PDX and other larger cities have completely abandoned the Broken Windows Theory I learned about in college in the late 90's.

Broken windows theory, academic theory proposed by James Q. Wilson and George Kelling in 1982 that used broken windows as a metaphor for disorder within neighbourhoods. Their theory links disorder and incivility within a community to subsequent occurrences of serious crime.

Broken windows theory had an enormous impact on police policy throughout the 1990s and remained influential into the 21st century. Perhaps the most notable application of the theory was in New York City under the direction of Police Commissioner William Bratton. He and others were convinced that the aggressive order-maintenance practices of the New York City Police Department were responsible for the dramatic decrease in crime rates within the city during the 1990s. Bratton began translating the theory into practice as the chief of New York City's transit police from 1990 to 1992. Squads of plainclothes officers were assigned to catch turnstile jumpers, and, as arrests for misdemeanours increased, subway crimes of all kinds decreased dramatically. In 1994, when he became New York City police commissioner, Bratton introduced his broken windows-based "quality of life initiative." This initiative cracked down on panhandling, disorderly behaviour, public drinking, street prostitution, and unsolicited windshield washing or other such attempts to obtain cash from drivers stopped in traffic. When Bratton resigned in 1996, felonies were down almost 40 percent in New York, and the homicide rate had been halved.

PDX and other larger cities have completely abandoned the Broken Windows Theory I learned about in college in the late 90's.

Broken windows theory, academic theory proposed by James Q. Wilson and George Kelling in 1982 that used broken windows as a metaphor for disorder within neighbourhoods. Their theory links disorder and incivility within a community to subsequent occurrences of serious crime.

Broken windows theory had an enormous impact on police policy throughout the 1990s and remained influential into the 21st century. Perhaps the most notable application of the theory was in New York City under the direction of Police Commissioner William Bratton. He and others were convinced that the aggressive order-maintenance practices of the New York City Police Department were responsible for the dramatic decrease in crime rates within the city during the 1990s. Bratton began translating the theory into practice as the chief of New York City's transit police from 1990 to 1992. Squads of plainclothes officers were assigned to catch turnstile jumpers, and, as arrests for misdemeanours increased, subway crimes of all kinds decreased dramatically. In 1994, when he became New York City police commissioner, Bratton introduced his broken windows-based "quality of life initiative." This initiative cracked down on panhandling, disorderly behaviour, public drinking, street prostitution, and unsolicited windshield washing or other such attempts to obtain cash from drivers stopped in traffic. When Bratton resigned in 1996, felonies were down almost 40 percent in New York, and the homicide rate had been halved.

Thanks for posting that. I learned something new.
I concur with your assessment as well.

Any cops left in Portland? Leaving in droves.
Just brilliant.

The cops in portland have never been anything but useless even before this started. Multiple hour long response times, un-needed belligerence, intimidating behavior, and paired with their generous benefits and pensions I gotta say I'm not sad to see them go. less taxes to pay.

The cops in portland have never been anything but useless even before this started. Multiple hour long response times, un-needed belligerence, intimidating behavior, and paired with their generous benefits and pensions I gotta say I'm not sad to see them go. less taxes to pay.

I've never noticed that with the guys on the street. But you have to look at our officers on the street per capita stats. We're way below where we should be for a city our size. I've had numerous occasions where I've dealt with the 'Beat" cops and they've always been great. Same goes for Wifey when they were needed at her work.

You think your gonna get tax money back if there's less officers?

That's special, real special thinking.

The crypt keeper on city council is going to use your money to pay for social workers.

You think your gonna get tax money back if there's less officers?

That's special, real special thinking.

The crypt keeper on city council is going to use your money to pay for social workers.
Cool, that sounds like a better use of my money than some flunkies in uniform that show up two hours after I report a stolen vehicle only to shrug their shoulders and go back to drinking coffee

Based on what I have seen in my life, that is 100% accurate.
The other thing to aggressively target is gang recruiting at the middle school level.

Between targeting "quality of life" crime and gangs, you can really get a handle on things imo.
Oregon's stance of allowing homelessness and decriminalizing small quantities of stuff like meth and heroin coupled with its description as being a "Sanctuary city" basically invites EVERYTHING we should be targeting to suppress for a "broken windows" type action to occur

Cool, that sounds like a better use of my money than some flunkies in uniform that show up two hours after I report a stolen vehicle only to shrug their shoulders and go back to drinking coffee
Betcha the new social workers show up a month later and ask you how you feel. If you feel "angry" they'll ask you if there are any firearms in the house. :rolleyes:

Betcha the new social workers show up a month later and ask you how you feel. If you feel "angry" they'll ask you if there are any firearms in the house. :rolleyes:

both of these imagined scenarios address my problem in basically the same way but one of these two hypothetical people doesn't have the qualified immunity to kill my dog so I think I would still prefer the social worker

I liked Bratton and I did not live in NYC or NY state during that time frame.

I was born in NY (1950) but moved to MD when I was one year old.

I followed that story for years and when the peace officers came down HARD on criminals - it worked!

People who LIVED in high crime areas LIKED having the criminals held accountable for their crimes and threatening behavior towards people who only wanted to live in a clean and peaceful neighborhood!

ALL of this catering to punks, criminals, bums and more have led to the destruction of a civilized society in rural areas, in small towns and in cities. And that is a fact!

Old Lady Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads