JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a new laptop and would like to get a wireless router so I can be super lazy and drool over NWFA classifieds on my couch instead of at the computer desk:D Any of you techie folk have some advice for someone who's mostly clueless about this stuff? All I know is that I have an ethernet cable plugged into my old desktop and when I open up Firefox it works. What do I need? I'd like to keep my cost below $75 if I can (I'd hate to waste ammo money on a router!!!)

Avoid NetGear. I've never had a good network setup with their products.

Go with a Linksys (child company of Cisco) or Belkin. <-- the one I bought.

I purchased a Belkin N+ recently to work with all of my wireless N devices and I have been very happy with it. I had another belkin for about 5 years before that.

A good idea though is to check and see what type of wireless your laptop has. If it has N you should go with a N router. If it's G, go with G. N has it's advantages over G so there's no point in having a N laptop with a G router. It's like driving a Ferrari on a gravel road.

Reason for N over G:
N uses multiple connections to achieve the speed.

With the addition of my N router I ended up adding one of these:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...TEJp22igSfoKmfCA&sa=title&ved=0CBMQ8wIwAjgA#p

For my desktop so I could put it wherever I wanted.

Just because you go N does not mean it won't service any G adapters, all of them are backwards compatible unless you specify it to not be.

I'm sure some will disagree with me but hey, were all entitled.

thanks for all of the replies guys. Now here's another question for you:

Will I have trouble setting up my router if I don't have access to any of the ISP info for my internet connection? As I posted earlier, I get my service straight from my neighbor. My neighbor lives in Nevada so I don't have a good way of having specific ISP info. Thanks in advance for you advice.

Erik

thanks for all of the replies guys. Now here's another question for you:

Will I have trouble setting up my router if I don't have access to any of the ISP info for my internet connection? As I posted earlier, I get my service straight from my neighbor. My neighbor lives in Nevada so I don't have a good way of having specific ISP info. Thanks in advance for you advice.

Erik

It all depends if his network is open or not. If it's closed you will need the encryption key or you will have to use a packet sniffer and crack the key. And all that is if it is WEP encryption, if it is WPA forget it.

Do a Google search for the word Aircrack.

Did I mention what my other hobby is?.................................

It all depends if his network is open or not. If it's closed you will need the encryption key or you will have to use a packet sniffer and crack the key. And all that is if it is WEP encryption, if it is WPA forget it.

Do a Google search for the word Aircrack.

Did I mention what my other hobby is?.................................

Wouldn't I just plug my current ethernet cable into my wireless router? That cable is plugged directly into my neighbor's router. Maybe I'm proving that I have absolutely NO IDEA how this stuff works:eek:

Wouldn't I just plug my current ethernet cable into my wireless router? That cable is plugged directly into my neighbor's router. Maybe I'm proving that I have absolutely NO IDEA how this stuff works:eek:

OK now I understand! You could just buy a wireless access point for that, no need for a router.

So you say you are having signal problems on a cat 5 cable run? That doesn't sound right, you can run cat 5 for hundreds of feet with no loss.

My second question is what all do you want to do exactly and how many computers on your end of the cable.

OK now I understand! You could just buy a wireless access point for that, no need for a router.

My new laptop came equipped with a wireless card. It just doesn't pick up a strong enough signal to connect. It show between 5 and 6 signals (most of which require a password or the equivelent).

So you say you are having signal problems on a cat 5 cable run? That doesn't sound right, you can run cat 5 for hundreds of feet with no loss.

Maybe I misguided you on my situation. As I sit here I'm using my neighbor's internet via a cat 5 (ethernet) line plugged into my desktop. I just want to plug that line into a router so I don't have to have my laptop plugged in here at my desk.

My second question is what all do you want to do exactly and how many computers on your end of the cable.

I will only have one computer on the network. My wife and I basically just surf the web. We might watch an occasional video. We don't do online gaming or anything like that.

try free geek on se 10 in portland.they have lots of routers ,access point devices etc.lots of cheap computer parts and electronics.they are a licensed electronics recycling company,good luck

Though, one could buy a cheap router and use it as an access point.

If you plan on buying your own internet down the road.

Cat5 your limited to about 100' maximum distance unless you have a repeater (sorry network skills are limited at 11pm and can't remember the exact name)

Not to mention depending on the wire it's self, you could be getting some interference.

Here's the deal. My next door neighbor allowed me to run a cable directly into the router in their home. However, the signal is too weak for my laptop to pick up in my house. So I don't exactly have a router:D

Just curious if this is even legal? I don't see how this would be different than stealing cable TV. I don't really care, just curious.

If you were local, I'd have a wireless router for you to use as an access point. Or if you want to pay for the shipping ($5), that would work too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top