Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

round stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Lush, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Lush

Lush Seattle, Washington, United States Active Member

first off, yes i learned my lesson from shooting wolf ammo. I have a round that is stuck in the barrel of my AR 15. there is about 1/4 of an inch or so that is showing the rest of the round is in the barrel, the primer hit, and just moved the round forward a bit. I tried to get it out with my cleaning rod was that didnt work, i tried to get under the lip of the casing, and wedge it up back into the chamber, that also didnt work. any ideas or anyone know a good gunsmith in the ballard/north seattle area?

2. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

Cleaning rods are too weak (aluminum, and many are hollow).
    Go to home depot and get one of their solid steel rods. You should be able to pound it out with that. Could even wrap some electrical type on the end to help prevent scratching anything.

3. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

+1 on the solid steel rod and tape. I put a layer of tape along the length of the rod, not just the end, just as an extra precaution.

4. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

the mild steel you can find at the hardware store may not be strong enough. I had to get spring steel rod stock, to get a .30 cal bullet to back out. It was fully engraved and very tough to move.

5. Lush

yes, the cleaning rod is to weak, didnt move it at all. ill stop by the homedepot tomorrow. and try to find a steel rod. and thanks for the tape idea. i wasnt thinking about. ill let u guys know how it went. and once again thanks for the ideas.

6. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Agreed. And be prepared to hammer away much, much harder than you would think is necessary.

7. JoeDirt82

JoeDirt82 NW Oregon Member

I have never had to remove a stuck bullet but I would try some compressed air? A blow gun with a rubber tip and 120psi should seal and build pressure.

Just a thought?

8. FatherHolyHoly

FatherHolyHoly MN Active Member

DO NOT go sticking a steel rod down the barrel. That would be the last resort. I'll tell you what has worked for me: Go to home depot or your local hardware store and buy an oak dowel. Make sure you get one that's smaller than the diameter of your barrel. They're around $3. Pound it out. Congratulations, you didnt f up your barrel crown with a piece of steel.

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Whoa there be careful with 120 psi...I have a .45 dia hole in the side of my shop from that..

If a steel rod is used wrap the entire length with black electrical tape.

10. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

I was going to say use brass not steel, as someone mentioned you will frag your barrel with steel. i have successfully used a brass cleaning rod to get a squib out (solid not hollow...and yes it mushroomed both ends) . also "successfully" used a steel bar before, and gouged the rifling inside the barrel.

11. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

SO WHAT IF YOU GOUGE THE BARREL, ITS ONLY AN ar

ShootFirst and (deleted member) like this.
  12. ShootFirst

ShootFirst Southern Oregon Active Member

Heat and cold may also help !

13. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter North Bend OR Active Member

A brass rod is the correct way.

14. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Take a GI cleaning rod, wrap a turn or so of tape around the end of it (not so much that it won't fit in the bore. Slide it up behind the bullet and give the T end of the rod a good rap. Hammer, 2x4, or whatever. The side of the rod won't do any damage to the barrel and the bullet should come out with a minimum of effort.

If one owns an AR, they should always keep the GI cleaning kit handy. It was designed to handle just about every contingency, including this.

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Oak or brass rod, either will work. How many rds have you put thru it, and are you sure the chamber is not a wee bit out of spec?

16. Lush

i have put about 7-800 rounds threw it over the year or so that i have had it this was the first issue. all of the rounds had been brass cased untill it only had about 50 rounds of steel case threw it then this one got jammed. and it was cleaned prior to shooting i have heard stories of people mixing brass and steel cased so all i had with me on that day was steel cased. ill be going to homedepot in a hour or so ill look our for a brass or oak rod, and avoid the steel.

@blitzkrieg i think the clamber should be fine. but im no gunsmith so i dont know how to tell for sure.

17. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

Is the casing, the bullet, or both stuck....i am a little confused. If the round is complete and stuck in the chamber you may not want to go pounding on it with a hammer. Maybe finding a gunsmith to help you and check out the rifle would be in your best interest.

(I reread the top and realized you might be talking about grabbing the lip of the casing on teh primer side.)

Grunwald and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Lush

whole round, i was being as carful as i could with the tools i had tryin to grab the rim around the primer. but i didnt want to use much force as i didnt want a hole in floor. at the home depot right now!

19. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

You might add some break free or some kind of Penetrating oil to help lube it Instead of trying to push it out dry.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Lush

Home Depot had nothing that would help. But they said to try a electrial or plumbing supply store.