JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
first off, yes i learned my lesson from shooting wolf ammo. I have a round that is stuck in the barrel of my AR 15. there is about 1/4 of an inch or so that is showing the rest of the round is in the barrel, the primer hit, and just moved the round forward a bit. I tried to get it out with my cleaning rod was that didnt work, i tried to get under the lip of the casing, and wedge it up back into the chamber, that also didnt work. any ideas or anyone know a good gunsmith in the ballard/north seattle area?

first off, yes i learned my lesson from shooting wolf ammo. I have a round that is stuck in the barrel of my AR 15. there is about 1/4 of an inch or so that is showing the rest of the round is in the barrel, the primer hit, and just moved the round forward a bit. I tried to get it out with my cleaning rod was that didnt work, i tried to get under the lip of the casing, and wedge it up back into the chamber, that also didnt work. any ideas or anyone know a good gunsmith in the ballard/north seattle area?

Cleaning rods are too weak (aluminum, and many are hollow).
Go to home depot and get one of their solid steel rods. You should be able to pound it out with that. Could even wrap some electrical type on the end to help prevent scratching anything.

Cleaning rods are too weak (aluminum, and many are hollow).
Go to home depot and get one of their solid steel rods. You should be able to pound it out with that. Could even wrap some electrical type on the end to help prevent scratching anything.

+1 on the solid steel rod and tape. I put a layer of tape along the length of the rod, not just the end, just as an extra precaution.

the mild steel you can find at the hardware store may not be strong enough. I had to get spring steel rod stock, to get a .30 cal bullet to back out. It was fully engraved and very tough to move.

yes, the cleaning rod is to weak, didnt move it at all. ill stop by the homedepot tomorrow. and try to find a steel rod. and thanks for the tape idea. i wasnt thinking about. ill let u guys know how it went. and once again thanks for the ideas.

the mild steel you can find at the hardware store may not be strong enough. I had to get spring steel rod stock, to get a .30 cal bullet to back out. It was fully engraved and very tough to move.

Agreed. And be prepared to hammer away much, much harder than you would think is necessary.

I have never had to remove a stuck bullet but I would try some compressed air? A blow gun with a rubber tip and 120psi should seal and build pressure.

Just a thought?

DO NOT go sticking a steel rod down the barrel. That would be the last resort. I'll tell you what has worked for me: Go to home depot or your local hardware store and buy an oak dowel. Make sure you get one that's smaller than the diameter of your barrel. They're around $3. Pound it out. Congratulations, you didnt f up your barrel crown with a piece of steel.

Whoa there be careful with 120 psi...I have a .45 dia hole in the side of my shop from that..

If a steel rod is used wrap the entire length with black electrical tape.

I was going to say use brass not steel, as someone mentioned you will frag your barrel with steel. i have successfully used a brass cleaning rod to get a squib out (solid not hollow...and yes it mushroomed both ends) . also "successfully" used a steel bar before, and gouged the rifling inside the barrel.

Take a GI cleaning rod, wrap a turn or so of tape around the end of it (not so much that it won't fit in the bore. Slide it up behind the bullet and give the T end of the rod a good rap. Hammer, 2x4, or whatever. The side of the rod won't do any damage to the barrel and the bullet should come out with a minimum of effort.

If one owns an AR, they should always keep the GI cleaning kit handy. It was designed to handle just about every contingency, including this.

i have put about 7-800 rounds threw it over the year or so that i have had it this was the first issue. all of the rounds had been brass cased untill it only had about 50 rounds of steel case threw it then this one got jammed. and it was cleaned prior to shooting i have heard stories of people mixing brass and steel cased so all i had with me on that day was steel cased. ill be going to homedepot in a hour or so ill look our for a brass or oak rod, and avoid the steel.

@blitzkrieg i think the clamber should be fine. but im no gunsmith so i dont know how to tell for sure.

Is the casing, the bullet, or both stuck....i am a little confused. If the round is complete and stuck in the chamber you may not want to go pounding on it with a hammer. Maybe finding a gunsmith to help you and check out the rifle would be in your best interest.

(I reread the top and realized you might be talking about grabbing the lip of the casing on teh primer side.)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top