JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Reid is getting a little misplaced blame here, the bill's sponsor is actually Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) - a long time enemy of gun rights. Reid introduced the bill as Lautenberg has been out sick, so basically he is doing his job as Senate President. Reid in neither a sponsor nor a co-sponsor of S. 792.

Here you can see what Lautenberg has been up to, a couple of gems at the top of the list. Go down to browse bills by sponsor/select a senator and scroll down til you get to Lautenberg.

THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Doesn't really matter whose name is attached it's just a bad idea.

wonder how long before someone says Bush started this too.:biglaugh:

That's a given. :p Seriously, GWB is worst POTUS in my calculations. Spent like a drunken sailor and lots of foreign spending as part of that then add in Iraq and the lives lost and Iraq is on the verge of another civil war. Are the lives lost worth what Iraq and the lies that led up to it worth it? I can't conceive of any calculus that supports it.

Don't be too sure. Tom Foley lost his seat (he was speaker of the house) and the "D"s lost the house and the senate after the Clinton AWB was passed in 1994.

House isn't the Senate. I well remember Foley.

Problem with the Senate is that it's an AT LARGE election. Meaning that the majority of the liberal scumbags in Seattle get to choose BOTH of our senators.

Foley was from a pro-guns, generally conservative district. The AWB was the writing on the casket. The death blow were all the liberal votes he'd cast before that. It just took one big issue to dump him and he handed his opponents that issue on a silver platter.

This is why, if I were a Democrat strategist, I'd be advocating for a very strong pro-gun, self-defense platform. If you combined that with their usual stuff, you'd have something that would destroy the GOP[ for decades.

Fortunately, the Dems aren't that smart.

We may have a problem here. What percent of the voting population reloads? WAG 3%?

The NRA will be the only one fighting against this. I'm not a member of the NRA, I'm just not a joiner, but I might reconsider on this one.

BTW the Boston bombers used powder from fireworks.

Not to cut to fine of point but Potassium Nitrate is a component in Black Powder not modern smokeless powder used in small arms ammo.

Exactly! Limiting access to small arms ammo re-loading powder and ammo in general is what they are advocating. But as Capt. kirk and the rest of us know, deadly explosive powder can be made quite simply.Star Trek Gorn Cannon Confirmed MythBusters Busted! - YouTube
Of course this would be usless in a modern firearm but pressure cookers??? Very similar to what they used I think.

Exactly! Limiting access to small arms ammo re-loading powder and ammo in general is what they are advocating. But as Capt. kirk and the rest of us know, deadly explosive powder can be made quite simply.Star Trek Gorn Cannon Confirmed MythBusters Busted! - YouTube
Of course this would be usless in a modern firearm but pressure cookers??? Very similar to what they used I think.

Well its cool you learned how to make Black powder from Star Trek. My grandfather taught me how to do it when I was about 11. We made a couple dozen of our own firecrakers our mix worked pretty well. We bought the materials from Owl Drug Store in Salem and mixed the stuff in one of grandmas bowls.

The kid/nerd in me really wants to go experiment but I'm sure there are a gazillian laws against that type of thing. About 40 years ago I had a lot of fun with a bunch of powder me and my friend extracted from shotgun shells. I'm lucky I didn't kill myself but we sure made a lot of big bangs.

BTT

The original introduction was a "shell bill."
It has been fleshed out, and can be read here:
Text of S. 792: Explosive Materials Background Check Act (Introduced version) - GovTrack.us

Essentially, reloaders would become classified as "manufacturers."
It would create a 3 yr license scheme for reloaders and muzzle loaders, on a "may issue" basis. Meaning you could be refused a license arbitrarily.
It will impose limits on the amount(s) you can buy, but doesn't say what those are.
It would create a new background check scheme also.

Actual commercial ammo makers would be exempt.
For an analysis, go here:
* Tactical Gear and Military Clothing News *: S.792 Explosive Materials Background Check Act Revealed

Breitbart's write-up is here:
Senator Targets Gun Powders with Explosives 'Background Check' Law

Lautenberg is a REAL piece of work.
Call your senators and reps,........ AGAIN!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top