JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All three of these will do the trick, especially if you use a premium bullet for the larger animals. My choice is the 30-06, but you can't really go "wrong" with any of them.

I'd go with the .30 cal myself for Elk and Bear. Much larger range of bullet weights available. All 3 calibers you mentioned would do the trick as noted above, but with bullets available from 150 to 220 grain with the .06, it would be my choice if I wanted 1 rifle to hunt everything in Oregon. Black Bears, while not near the size of Grizzly's, are still very tough animals. Hard, large Bones etc... . I have a 300 wsm and shoot 180 grain for everyhing I hunt. 270 would be my 2nd choice of the 3. 7mm-08 is a really nice caliber, but personally would not hunt Bear with it,, where you may need to take a long shot and still have bone breaking power. Just my .02 and worth what you paid for it

Any of those will kill most any animal on this continent with proper placement.270 and 30 06 maybe at longer ranges,but how far should you really shoot at a larger animal? (why not HUNT them and get closer?)
So all three should be pretty good for Oregon animals

I use 7mm Mag and 30-06 to hunt with. Both have worked great for me. Except for last year all my kills have been within 100 yards. Last year I took a Elk with the 30-06 that ranged at 352 yards. When this happened I did not know it was that far until the next day.

Any of those will kill most any animal on this continent with proper placement.270 and 30 06 maybe at longer ranges,but how far should you really shoot at a larger animal? (why not HUNT them and get closer?)
So all three should be pretty good for Oregon animals

Ever hunted Hells Canyon or the Imnaha? Sometimes hunting them and getting close is 300 yards. If you're lucky.

It would depend on the twist rates for me.... 270's usually come with a 1:10 twist rate that's good for all the common bullets up to around 160gr... The best common bullet for hunting at longer ranges IMO is the 150gr Berger VLD these have a BC of .531 these can be driven at 2900fps in a 270 win and will give you the terminal performance to knock down elk at ranges well beyond the capability of most hunters.

The 7mm-08 can be an excellent round at longer ranges but it would require a 1:9 twist (I'm not sure what the standard twist rate is) to stabilize the heavier (168gr +) bullets required to allow the energy required for Elk at longer ranges. With the 168gr Berger VLD's you could compete with the 270 for long range performance. The standard twist barrels would certainly stabilize some decent bullets. The Berger 140 VLD has a BC of .510 and a 7-08 could push these just over 2800fps. Obviously the 270 would out perform that particular combo...

The 30-06 would be the most versatile, for deer you could run the 155gr VLD's with a BC of .439 at nearly 3000fps, for Elk you could use the 185 VLD's, with a .549 BC at about 2750fps. I believe most 30-06 come with a 1:10 or 1:11 twist which could stabilize bullets up to 200gr.

Obviously you may decide on any number of different bullets, but the above examples give a good cartridge ability comparison IMO. There are other considerations of course. The 270 and 7-08 would be more reasonable on recoil, the 30-06 and 7-08 would have the better barrel life. I'm personally partial to the 270, I've been using them for hunting big game all my life. I just had a custom one built with a 1:9 twist, 28" barrel and I'm shooting 165gr Matrix bullets (.650 BC) at 2850fps.

Ty that helps me alot the gun I'm looking to get in 1:10 twist in 270 and 30-06 and 7mm-08 is 1:9.5 I had a 270 in pass and loved it but sold it ( regretting it now ) but wasn't sure if I should get another being if it would have power for elk/black bear that's good info and think I will be buying a 270 :)

This is all in my experience and knowledge and some may argue it but its what i believe and works for me. You can take it or leave it.

300 mag for Bull elk would be best but its expensive to shoot usually weighs a extra pound to carry and packs quite a wallop . of your your list IMO the 30.06 is the best choice

When i have hunted elk i have jumped them in the thicks but its usually hard to get a full view of them and your shot has to be fast real fast and when they take off its not like they run 50 yards and wait for you to catch up.

other times its across clear cuts or running through a clearings some of these shots too far even for a 30.06 and wished i had a .300 mag

rifle hunting you really don't have the luxury of what the archery hunters have of calling them in close where you can get a good vital shot and they have to know their stuff . with a rifle you have to get a good vital shot or close to vital shot and when the bullet expands and fragments hope that punctures a vital or a powerful crippling shot or its a long day of tracking . With a 30.06 you can shoot with a 180-220 grain bullet

I am not saying that if you don't have a powerful rifle you should not hunt for example a small framed woman or 12 year old child or someone to weak to handle a recoil of a 30.06 should not hunt with one, they should hunt with the most powerful rifle they are comfortable shooting.

Anytime a post like this happens some moron will come along and say you can kill a elk with a .22 but should you really try it? or a .223 really ? 243 is that the best you can do ? 3030 maybe .308 well thats a lot better . 270 that will work . 30.06 now were talking . .300 The best common tool for the job .
Personally i just don't see enough bulls to risk using anything less.

I've hunted with a 300 Win Mag for years, but there is not one shot that couldn't have been taken with a .308.

I own one of the finest custom .338 win magnum's made and ALL the Rosie's, bear and others have been taken within 200 yrds. I now archery hunt for Elk, but I don't dare to keep my Bow tech in the same safe with her, for fear what that Jealous old rifle might do to it once the door is closed and it gets dark:s0112:
I still take her out on dates to the range in the back yard though. I feed her a good diet of hand loaded 250's then clean and slick her down passionately, just so she still feels needed. My daughter took her out on a date last year and took a nice Elk;) Since then she has gotten distant and I swear that when were together on the bench, she acts like she's thinking of someone else when Im pulling her trigger!

just go with the o6 i use the o6 when i go hunting and its never failed me i have sense also purchased a 4570 for up close brush hunting but if i could only have one rifle it would be a stainless/ synthedic 3006

just go with the o6 i use the o6 when i go hunting and its never failed me i have sense also purchased a 4570 for up close brush hunting but if i could only have one rifle it would be a stainless/ synthedic 3006

What he said,,,yep. The one cartridge that seems most others are compared to. Unless thier belted, a whole bunch of em are based on the old girl too.

30-06 is good for about anything... 308 is good too
Do you hand load? If you are the 308 is your buddy.. Lots
Of ammo to load up cheap and can be a tac driver.. Rem 700 sps varmints
Are on sale for a vary good price!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews