JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are very welcome @Cottonwood .
Lead round ball is far more effective than what most folks think or some ballistic chart says for sure.
Andy
Many years ago I picked up a Lyman Great Plains 50 cal from a pawn shop. It was my introduction to black powder. Thought those conical lead would work great. For some reason the bullets wouldn't make it to the target. Bought a book on muzzle loaders and realized the twist was too slow. Also found you could run lighter round balls faster. After getting round balls dialed in the rifle shot great and they fouled the barrel much less. Took a few deer with it.

I have a 54 cal hunter now. The shop in Springfield and guys at ARPC helped me get balls, patches and lube to set up the right combo a few years ago. Problem is I have not shot it for awhile and forgot what thickness patches worked best. Better get to the range before my elk hunt opens later this month. This time I will write down the patch and ball size with the powder charge for future reference.

Problem is I have not shot it for awhile and forgot what thickness patches worked best. Better get to the range before my elk hunt opens later this month.
A .15 patch or .10 patch with a .530 round ball is a good match for a .54 caliber rifle.
Some folks like a .18 patch...but I load a bit looser with my rifles...and try not to use a ball starter.
Andy

I've settled in on a .12 patch for my .54 Cal Renegade.

It loads easily, yet snugly and has excellent accuracy. And the recovered patches look like they should.

I'll admit 'early on' in my time with muzzleloaders I 'thought' the tighter the patch the better the accuracy, and learned later this was not the case.

Shot my first bear with a 58 round ball at 25 ft in the brush. Blew up his shoulder, destroyed lungs an I could fit my fist thru the exit in other shoulder.. Absolutely amazing what pure lead does. Might have to take the H&R stalker out this next fall.

I have to use a ball starter, but only for about the first 4" in my .50 with a.010 patch. Anything thicker is a no go. After the first 4" the load slides down the bore with a smooth, but firm push. I'm only using 50grs of FFG as I'm only killing paper. Not a single, "T" Rex in my neighborhood. :rolleyes:

At 50 yards that load will group 2" with Ball, or Bullet. The bullets being heavier, their group about 3" under the Ball group. :)
I've forgotten what the twist rate, but it's long and slow. o_O

A .15 patch or .10 patch with a .530 round ball is a good match for a .54 caliber rifle.
Some folks like a .18 patch...but I load a bit looser with my rifles...and try not to use a ball starter.
Andy
018 patch was way too tight. 015 patch was snug. A 0.010 patch was easy but the ball missed the target completely the first shot and hit the outer edge the next shot.

The rifles accuracy was poor as charge weights increased. I settled on 80g FF and a 015 patch then wrote that down for next time.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top