JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not experienced with starting a thread but something came up in a discussion last night.
I was told I should be rotating my 'street' loads once per month. Ya know, firing off the HP's and reloading new ones out of the box.
But, what I've been doing is pulling out mags with the street loads when target/practice shooting, then re-installing the carry mags when finished or done cleaning. Looking back, I'd guess the ones in my carry are 1 year + old.
But, I'm careful, there's no oil on the cartridges, I keep them dry and clean.
I know we'll get differing opinions here, but what is the recommended rotation? Street loads are expensive so firing all mags off each month seems excessive to me.
Thanks in adavnce for advise.

Last Edited:
If I don't see any physical damage to a round, it's good imho. That includes overall length in case a bullet gets shoved back into the case. I can see that visually because all of my defensive rounds have cannelures or a factory crimp ring.

That said, I don't load cheap bullets. With the hard work that goes into reloading starting with the tumbler, and the cost of other components, I'd rather buy something like Hornady XTP/HP or Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber projectiles for a few cents more than, say, Montana Gold. For that reason, I can practice with my carry ammo and it gets swapped out automatically every time I shoot.

$.02

The real question is how valuable is your life?

As far as cycling carry ammo, this applies to the actual ammo you carry around on you. This ammunition is exposed to detergents and oils that can destroy primers. Although the chance of this happening even over a year or twos time is very low, is it really worth the chance that it may cost you your life?

Defensive ammo sitting on the shelf will last much much longer without worries, so if you carry one gun with one magazine, usually 5-10 rounds, that's only $10-20 a year if you change every six months, of course its more if you carry more mags or swap between guns, but still cheaper than replacing a life.

The real question is how valuable is your life?

As far as cycling carry ammo, this applies to the actual ammo you carry around on you. This ammunition is exposed to detergents and oils that can destroy primers. Although the chance of this happening even over a year or twos time is very low, is it really worth the chance that it may cost you your life?

Defensive ammo sitting on the shelf will last much much longer without worries, so if you carry one gun with one magazine, usually 5-10 rounds, that's only $10-20 a year if you change every six months, of course its more if you carry more mags or swap between guns, but still cheaper than replacing a life.

Good point. Or, $2-$4 if you reload, even with quality bullets. :s0155:

I just bought 1,500 Speer Gold Dot 124 gr 9mm HP bullets (projectiles) on gunbroker for $225 including shipping. $150 per 1k as opposed to about $100 per k for Montana Gold. That's 15 cents per bullet. Add 7 cents for powder and primer. Of course you have to discount the investment in equipment and empty brass and kiss off your time. :s0155:

I like the idea of every 6 months, but monthly seemed excessive to me. ALthough I reload, I use factory high-end HP's in my carry mags, which, like you said above are about $ 1/ea. BUT, as Physics Guy says in a different way - big bummer if the one time you need your firearm, it just goes click.
I have read that people who clean their firearms with WD-40 and don't properly dry or wipe away the residue have experienced 'dud' loads.
Physics Guy, if your mag stays in or is properly stored away when firing target loads, how does oil and detergent get to the bullet to denegrate the primer?

I like the idea of every 6 months, but monthly seemed excessive to me. ALthough I reload, I use factory high-end HP's in my carry mags, which, like you said above are about $ 1/ea. BUT, as Physics Guy says in a different way - big bummer if the one time you need your firearm, it just goes click.
I have read that people who clean their firearms with WD-40 and don't properly dry or wipe away the residue have experienced 'dud' loads.
Physics Guy, if your mag stays in or is properly stored away when firing target loads, how does oil and detergent get to the bullet to denegrate the primer?

You didn't ask me, but WD-40 is by nature both hygroscopic (attracts and absorbs water) and penetrating. It's not good for guns or bullets imho.

Most people I know oil their mags lightly. Some use a light detergent for the thorough cleaning of guns, Anything in the gun or mag can migrate to the rounds. You may have oil and detergent on your hands just by "living."

Personally I've never had old and well-handled bullets fail to go bang, but in context I think the question is "do you want to bet your life on it?"

$.02

Ammo is made to be shot to increase your skill level. If you don't shoot well it matters little what rounds you carry. Shoot what you carry.

jj

I am having a difficult time on rotation of ammo with a time frame determining it should be done. It is possible to have a failure to fire for many reasons. No one enjoys it, but training skills on clearing the malfuctions is a must to where it becomes an automatic response. I am move concerned with repeated chambering of the top round being driven deeper into the cartridge case, causing extreame pressure the deeper the set back. Usually I will replace the top round with a fresh round. The repeatedly chambered round get tossed into a can to be later checked for cartridge length. If within tolerance, used on the range for practice. After many years, with probably many thousands of rounds both reloads and factory, none have failed to fire. However practice clearing of stopages in done frequently. Many reasons can cause failures besides cartridges that do not fire. I also favor the Gold Dots, but I am pondering the new Hornady flex tip being looked at. Be aware that the Gold Dots have two different bullets for short barreled pistols, and one for the longer barrels. The short barreled ones are marked for personal protection on the short barreled ones.

Not experienced with starting a thread but something came up in a discussion last night.
I was told I should be rotating my 'street' loads once per month. Ya know, firing off the HP's and reloading new ones out of the box.
But, what I've been doing is pulling out mags with the street loads when target/practice shooting, then re-installing the carry mags when finished or done cleaning. Looking back, I'd guess the ones in my carry are 1 year + old.
But, I'm careful, there's no oil on the cartridges, I keep them dry and clean.
I know we'll get differing opinions here, but what is the recommended rotation? Street loads are expensive so firing all mags off each month seems excessive to me.
Thanks in adavnce for advise.

Yes, you should rotate them once a month. You should also spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring....:s0112:

I would feel secure with your method. In the present circumstances of soaring ammo prices, and AVAILABILITY, it isn't a question of plunking down a few dollars and walk out with what you need. Glock 22s, with two loadout magazines, pretty well takes care of a 50 round box of ammo. Many departments struggle, and times the amount of personal, it adds up to be really spendy. Last Qualify, the less expensive Blazer (alum cases) ball was used. Carry ammo put back in, or never left the magazines. as most have numerous tested spares.
There were no failures to fire for the day's shoot, and point of impact of the lesser ammo was unchanged.

Yes, you should rotate them once a month. You should also spend 3 months salary on an engagement ring....:s0112:

Glad to see that things have relaxed a bit. When I was married it was 6 months of salary! - Whew

Thanks all for the input discussion - this is a great forum.
I like the point made about constant re-chambering of round # 1 causing problem with casing length. Never though of that. I'll at least shoot the top load of street mags monthly wheen targeting.

I carried the same ammo in my M9 for over a year in Afghanistan and the stuff shot great when it was time to turn it in. Once a month my mags were dissasembled for PMCS so I myself can trust factory ammo for at least a year in harsh field conditions.

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads