JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy all -

Decided I wanted a fun gun, and a .357 Ranch Hand followed me home today. Love it! However, I immediately, violently, hate the stupid manual firing pin safety. Anybody had any experience removing them? Possible to do? Easy to do yourself? Gunsmith in the area that can do it for you? Thanks..!

-Eric

Howdy all -

Decided I wanted a fun gun, and a .357 Ranch Hand followed me home today. Love it! However, I immediately, violently, hate the stupid manual firing pin safety. Anybody had any experience removing them? Possible to do? Easy to do yourself? Gunsmith in the area that can do it for you? Thanks..!

-Eric

You might be able to find some info online, but no reputable gunsmith in the country will remove a safety from a gun...

If you wish the bolt safety gone, you have three options to choose from in addition to deciding whether to bring/send it to a gunsmith or not.

1. Remove the safety and install a plug from Nate Kiowa Jones.
2. Remove the safety and install a peep sight from Nate Kiowa Jones.
3. Remove the sight and modify it into a plug.

I did number three and it worked fine. I followed these steps.

1. Make sure it's unloaded.
2. Lever down and slide the bolt back.
3. Push out the cross bolt pin that locks the safety in place.
4. Gently lift out the safety while being careful to not loose the tiny spring and detent ball (they go flying)
5. Grind the half round off the bottom of the safety.
6. Grind the turn ear off the safety top.
7. Polish and touch up with bluing.
8. Reassemble with spring, detent ball and bolt cross pin.
9. Now be careful so you don't shoot your eye out, use common sense when handling.

Nate Kiowa Jones can do the work for you. Google to find him, he's a Rossi '92 smith.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top