JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive had Rossi lever 357 rifles on order for awhile. Yesterday I called and asked the wholesaler what the hold up is, and he said Rossi is having financial issues, and is hardly producing anything because they are on credit hold everywhere. Apparently this is the predominate story among the wholesalers. Is anyone else hearing anything that can confirm that?

I dunno' what the official line is, but I saw Rossi semiauto .22 rifles for $99. yesterday. I think it was BiMart. That may be a sign of financial distress.

Ive had Rossi lever 357 rifles on order for awhile. Yesterday I called and asked the wholesaler what the hold up is, and he said Rossi is having financial issues, and is hardly producing anything because they are on credit hold everywhere. Apparently this is the predominate story among the wholesalers. Is anyone else hearing anything that can confirm that?

Did you put a deposit down? If not, consider moving on... businesses under a credit hold don't usually have happy endings.... o_O

Since the guns are on backorder, my supplier didn't charge me. He said they haven't seen any in months and can't fill the back orders.

I know they are involved with a large scale recall. Information here. (I completed the form months ago and still haven't received any update.)

I hope they continue on, because I am really liking their stainless 92 lever-action. Ditto the revolver I have of theirs, despite it likely going back to the factory.

I assume you are wanting an 1892. The problem with Rossi, and possibly a factor in their financial trouble (maybe not specifically just this but in general just making their guns less appealing), is the ridiculous safety they added to them. I would never buy one in a million years and I am not alone by a long shot. Take some time and find an older one on Gunbroker without the Fing absurd safety and don't contribute to John rolling over in his grave. Same with Winchester. In fact I just noticed Turnbull offers the Winny 1892 with his touches. Pricey as hell but one of the steps he takes is to remove the (Fing absurd) tang safety... and that's my point. Clearly he understands how undesirable these superfluous warts are on a lever gun.

Turnbull Winchester 1892 Deluxe Takedown - Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 800105463

"A significant additional touch is our tang safety conversion process, taking the Model 1892 back to a half-cock safety as it was originally designed over a century ago."

I have a customer who wants one for his daughter in stainless. She shoots in 4H. Just thought I'd order a couple more for gunshows. Most just want a cheap gun to put a suppressor on. New marlins are a crap shoot, Henry's are garbage, and Winchester's are a little more than most want to pay, but the quality is worth it. I have the good guns in my personal collection. I also have a JM Marlin pre safety 357 listed in the classifieds.

I looked at a new Marlin the other day and was actually impressed. It had pretty good wood to metal fit and operated smoothly. Overall finish was quite nice also. I am reading better reports on Marlin in general lately as well.
The last Rossi I looked at (new) did not look like a real gun as it was so poorly made and finished. It literally looked like a movie prop gun.

I have a newer 336 and it has decent wood to metal fit. Smooth action on it too. My only gripe is the rear barrel band screw has broken twice. Not sure what the permanent fix for that is. Otherwise I really like it.

I'd like a stainless Rossi in .357 too. That's actually what I was looking for first when the Marlin deal popped up and I couldn't resist. Hope they pull through their financial troubles. If they have to restructure or sell the name I doubt the resulting new product will be any better. Almost never is.

I've had only a couple Rossi products; tough as anything and served me very well without issue.

Bought a used Rossi 92 45LC for cowboy matches in the early 90s because I couldn't afford what I thought I wanted. While by no means 'slick' it fired anything I could fit in the chamber, and never actually failed to function. My own use was a couple matches/month, amounting to around 150 rounds/month. Some months 1 or 2 extra buddies would be using it.

It was accurate enough for the purpose. Admittedly it handled like an agricultural implement in the coarseness of the action. After nearly 10 years on the firing line, someone came up with enough cash I could buy 'a better lever gun'.

The last I heard it was serving the new owner very well.

Given the absurd demands of cowboy matches on antique designs for speed and reliability, that single Rossi product remains one of the truly impressive performers. Yes it did have the cross bolt safety button, which didn't seem to cause any functional issues in the 10s of thousands of rounds it provided in pursuit of making the steel sing momentarily.

While the mechanism design of the 92 is really not built for speed, it was utterly reliable in my circumstance. Don't know what the newer versions are like, but I'd buy this one back again in a nanosecond.

I miss my Rossi 62SA takedown .22 pump. I think it was one of the South American imported copies of the venerable Winchester 1862 pump carbines... before Rossi became a part of Taurus or something like that. It was a very handy, accurate little carbine.. perfect for kids and small women.. could chamber .22 Short, .22 Long and .22LR; a version that could shoot a .22wmr would be awesome :p

Given the absurd demands of cowboy matches on antique designs for speed and reliability
Probably the single reason I did not pursue CAS after being invited to a shoot by a friend who was pretty heavy into it.
It all looked attractive until I realized it was all about speed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top