JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So, I am trying to wrap up a Form 1 build on a Rossi 92 SBR. Paperwork is a go, got the engraving done today. One band, the larger one, unscrews no problem. The smaller one up by the front sight I cannot get to budge at all. I've tried every screwdriver that will fit, hit it WD40 and Kroil; nada. As far as I can tell there is no "trick" to this particular part, but am not positive.

Any ideas on a simple solution? Thanks much.

How long did you let the Kroil sit? 10 or 15 minutes? Sorry for the Sarcasm but you only started the project yesterday so...

Overnight is recommended. Then it should also be Heated with a Heat Gun several times, while it is sitting. If course, now you have pretty well destroyed the Screw Head so it's time to Drill it out and use an Easy Out. Then it's time to shop for a Replacement. Gun Parts Inc. Is a place to start.

Projects, especially Gun Projects, take time, if you expect them to come out looking like something and not a box of parts waiting for the next guy/gal.

Heat judiciously applied. Take a file & clean up the slot for purchase and you should be golden. Just keep the heat away from the barrel as best you can.

Overnight is recommended.
And several days or more ain't bad either.
I kept applying Liquid Wrench to the front sight set screw on a 119 year old Winchester and it finally came free after two weeks with no damage.
The sight tapped out with no problem as well.

Take a file & clean up the slot for purchase and you should be golden.
Or use a stone to clean up the screw and you should be able to save it.
'Screw' the screw into the end of a small piece of wood dowel as a 'handle' and you can rotate the stone over and around it to restore the radius.
When you are done you can 'oil blacken' the screw to refinish it.
I'll describe this process if you are unaware of it.

Last Edited:
Or use a stone to clean up the screw and you should be able to save it.
'Screw' the screw into the end of a small piece of wood dowel as a 'handle' and you can rotate the stone over and around it to restore the radius.
When you are done you can 'oil blacken' the screw to refinish it.
I'll describe this process if you are unaware of it.

Thanks for the thoughts. I hit it with another dose of Kroil and going to let it set for longer. Then will try heat, etc. in the morning, per what @GOG mentioned. The screw isn't in that bad of shape, so can clean up with some elbow grease. Good idea on oil blackening; I also have some cold blue too.

I'll get it figured out. For the project, I don't really need to swap the forearm; just wanted it to match closer to the new buttstock, but that is cosmetic.

I tried the suggestion from @GOG; worked like a champ. Thanks! Alas, the aftermarket stock is too thick. Back to the drawing board.

N4RYfcR.jpg

Turns out Kroil isn't that good at creeping, at least not against other stuff, latest penetrating winners are either liquid wrench or seafoam deepcreap.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top