JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do what an Indian would do, if faced with the same problem. Ooops.....can I still even say, "Indian" anymore? OK, Ok, ok...….if you were offended, ask Elizabeth Warren how to do it.

Buffalo/horse glue and raw hide (or white mans metal wire, as a substitute) to wrap the crack. I guess in a pinch, a good modern day carpenter's glue could substitute for the buffalo/horse glue. Don't forget to add a couple of tacks.

At any rate....the repair/added bling would add character while shooting it.

Indian-Stock-repairs.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
My 1897 Winchester developed a stock crack after I sat on it. Yup....it's not only spurs that cowboys have to worry about when squatting/sitting. Anyway, the stock developed a crack. The crack didn't entirely break off the stock. So since I'm cheap, I decided that I'd give the repair a try. I bought some glue and got my clamps out. Then, I did some research on YouTube. LOL. I decided that just injecting glue into the crack with the use of clamps would probably be enough.

WRONG. The very next match I was back to square one. The crack had actually grown bigger.

So, still determined to fix it myself. I purposely broke off the wooden stock this time, at the crack. I bought some real carpenter's glue and some surgical rubber hose at the hardware store. I cleaned up the crack with alcohol, as best that I could. YES, some wood slivers were lost in the process. Oh well, on with the repairs. So, I pieced the stock pieces together with glue. Wrapped it in saran wrap and a final wrapping with the surgical rubber (to hold things tight). Then, I waited. Once I was happy that the glue was dried, I removed everything. A bit of sanding and linseed oil and I was done.

Here are some pics from my own adventures into stock repair.

GEDC1163.jpg
GEDC1164.jpg
GEDC1165.jpg
GEDC1166.jpg

So far, the repair has lasted the entire year of cowboy shooting.

Personal note : "Don't sit on your shotgun."

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews