JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
21yrs old, finishing college and I get home from a extra long shift waiting tables at a fine dinning restaurant in Corvallis. At my apartment I see my 1972 bug I loaned my roommate, Cecil, home on the drive. It was the last day of hunting season and he barrowed it to get the last day in. From the front "trunk" I can see blood dripping and blood around the Handel so I know he killed his deer. (Don't laugh the VW bugs made great offroad vehicles and a black tail deer does fit in the trunk) My deer I killed a few days earlier was hanging in our garage and I was sure Cecils was now as well.

I walk into the the dark apartment and flick on the lights. There is Cecil in a chair passed out exhausted and covered in dried blood. I wake him up and ask him about his kill. He can barely move so sore and the dried blood is crazy thick, think horror story thick its dried so all cracking and chipping off.

Well he did kill his deer but had some help via a Volvo. Skunked after dark coming home empty handed, he saw a lady from his church on the side of the road. Pulled over and in front of her Volvo was a deer flopping around. Another person stopped to help as well. That guy told my buddy who was pulling out his .270 "you cant shoot it on a side of a road, use your hunting knife". So the lady left the two guys to do the deed. Cecil took out his hunting knife and went up to the deer to cut its throat. But the deer did not want its throat cut and fought back. There was Cecil hacking away and rolling around with this wounded deer, discovering a deer throat is actually rather tough to cut. The other guy got so freaked out he got back in his car and left the bloody scene. Eventually common sense took over and Cecil said screw this and dragged his exhausted self from going 5 rounds with the deer, over to the VW and got his hunting rifle. He stuffed the deer in the trunk, drove home and passed out completely spent. I then came home and he told me the story.

However there was a problem.....Volvo Bambi was not hanging in the garage, it was still in the trunk of the VW!!! Cecil had nothing left, aperently deer hand to hand combat is exhausting, so I hand to deal with it. The dam thing had rigimortus set in so I had to use a hacksaw to remove some legs. There I was 1AM gutting a deer covered in blood on a driveway of our apartment off campus. About 4 of the OSU football players walked by (a live out house was down the street from us for them) and they first ask what I was doing in the dark on the ground then saw I was pulling guts out of something that used to be living. "Dammmmm" and they all took off quickly. I got it up in our crappy little garage next to mine, one whole side of his deer was all trauma from the car strike and worthless meat. We turned the whole thing into sausage due to it probably having every drop of adrenaline pumped into its blood. Oh and dont put a trash bag of deer guts in a trash can without a lid. I did make Cecil clean up the entrails spread all over from the raccoons having a snack on them. Lastly the VW smelled like blood up to the day I sold it, but all VW bugs have funky smells so it was normal.

Last Edited:
I've butchered many different species, Sharp or no, hair covered animal throats can be hard to slice even when they are not fighting back. A serrated edge helps immensely.

Next time, spice it up somehow...that is, lie. It was a good story, but needs something lurid or illegal to give it a little more pizzazz. The football players thinking you were gutting grandpa was a nice touch (even though I was obviously a true detail).

If I seen an animal in distress and had a firearm available, a lady saying "you can't shoot it" would have made it to about "you ca...." before the deer was dead. Choosing to hack at its throat when a gun was available is very odd to me. I don't think I know anyone who in one hundred lifetimes would ever choose knife over gun when both are available. o_O

I've butchered many different species, Sharp or no, hair covered animal throats can be hard to slice even when they are not fighting back. A serrated edge helps immensely.

Neither Cecil nor I knew jack at that time in our lives. It was 90% girls, 5% cars and 5% left over for everything else in our minds at that age.

Next time, spice it up somehow...that is, lie. It was a good story, but needs something lurid or illegal to give it a little more pizzazz. The football players thinking you were gutting grandpa was a nice touch (even though I was obviously a true detail).

Ha, well was just sharing in this post so I did not hijack another post I referenced this experience in. Ya 100% true, including the football players taking off after seeing me yanking an esophagus out in the dark. (Hell that was only the 3rd deer I ever gutted, 2nd on my own, so I was not fast or smooth at the job)

If I seen an animal in distress and had a firearm available, a lady saying "you can't shoot it" would have made it to about "you ca...." before the deer was dead. Choosing to hack at its throat when a gun was available is very odd to me. I don't think I know anyone who in one hundred lifetimes would ever choose knife over gun when both are available. o_O

Doub kids man. 21yrs old and someone says "you can't do that" in a stressful situation thus youthful independence is gone. Only experience forces the lesson learned lasts. I can guarantee you for the rest of Cecil's life, and mine living on the fringe of this story, the firearm will be (and has) been used to dispatch a vehicle struck animal. (20yrs + ago I hit a deer, parked and walked up, pulled my EDC and ended the suffering) But at age 21 still with spots on about life, nope.

I feel sorry for the deer. That's a rough way to check out.

No kidding! My thought too handling the thing afterward. Ol Cecil was done with hunting at that point. I don't think he ever went again after that.

...That guy told my buddy who was pulling out his .270 "you cant shoot it on a side of a road, use your hunting knife"...The other guy got so freaked out he got back in his car and left the bloody scene...
Imo the take away here is don't let urself be influenced by others when u know the right thing to do. The other guy who told him not to use his rifle has probably never hunted a day in his life. A wounded animal can attack or even kill you and most hunters know that.

Often people like that other guy are quick to tell u what to do because there is no responsibility on their part. Stepping up and doing something means responsibility and they r too scared to do it. He would rather go home and complain to his wife about ur buddy's actions than actually do anything himself.

Last Edited:
LOL - that could have been me back in '85. Kids come up to my farm house, pound on the door, "can we use your phone?" Steam coming from their radiator, they had broadsided a buck on the road in front of my house.
"Where's the deer?" I ask. "On the side of the road, I think it's still alive." My GF guides them to the phone.
I'm thinking, "mmmm - venison." The .270 is standing in the corner of my office, I grab the 12" Rapala fillet knife instead.
Walking down the drive, that buck gets up and bounds off into the field across from my house. Looked for 1/2 an hour, never found anything.

LOL - that could have been me back in '85. Kids come up to my farm house, pound on the door, "can we use your phone?" Steam coming from their radiator, they had broadsided a buck on the road in front of my house.
"Where's the deer?" I ask. "On the side of the road, I think it's still alive." My GF guides them to the phone.
I'm thinking, "mmmm - venison." The .270 is standing in the corner of my office, I grab the 12" Rapala fillet knife instead.
Walking down the drive, that buck gets up and bounds off into the field across from my house. Looked for 1/2 an hour, never found anything.

Bummer he got away!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads