JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a 9mm suppressor, I've noticed on several web sites that the manufacturer/supplier used stainless for the threaded cap and first baffle and aluminum for the remaining cups and tube. I trust that they pretty much know what they're doing but was wondering why. Is it because the pressure and temps for 9mm are low enough that aluminum is perfectly acceptable? After the first baffle what are the pros and cons to having additional ones stainless? Easier to clean? Erosion resistance and longer life? I realize there is a weight penalty, but stock kit for 9mm from QB is only .5 lbs. Thanks in advance for sharing knowledge.

ETA - these are k baffles in the QuietBore can.

Last Edited:
erosion control and longevity.

The blast from the first baffle is brutal.
Running two SS then AL, another one I run all Ti. The Ti blast baffles look new after a lot of rounds (few hundred of .223, .308 and 6.5)

22lr Quietbore aluminum baffle erosion.

eFUe000JqM0-PrZ6peMZwa5vWtzBM5knMsEW1AW-j9I.jpg

22lr Quietbore aluminum baffle erosion.

View attachment 778431
Looks significant, especially the one on the left. What was their position in the tube and do you see a different in performance? Since I'm still new to this, is that level of erosion to be expected, and will it continue? About how many rounds? Is there a chance that is steam impingement from adding water mist?

Looks significant, especially the one on the left. What was their position in the tube and do you see a different in performance? Since I'm still new to this, is that level of erosion to be expected, and will it continue? About how many rounds? Is there a chance that is steam impingement from adding water mist?
Not my baffles, from Reddit user.

First baffle in can, blast baffle. No noticeable difference in performance per owner.

Even the strongest metals will erode. You're hitting the blast baffle with supersonic gases, bits of powder and residue over and over each time you fire a gun with a can on the end. It will continue, it may slow as the hole gets big enough, but never really stops. Softer the metal, faster it occurs.

The main concern of erosion is a chunk of metal flying off a baffle and dominos through the rest of the can or out the side.

Not something that occurs within the first 100 rounds, but since suppressors are sort of permanent purchases, it's usually best to try and invest in ones that are not so frail or need to bed sent in for repairs.

If you are worried about baffle erosion and eventual replacement, buy from an established company with a long standing history of top notch customer service. Most all quality suppressor manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty inclusive of baffle repair/replacement. The key is picking one that will be around for the long haul like YHM, SICO, most likely Dead Air based on their current trajectory, Rugged, etc....

If you go the solvent trap / form 1 can route and you are worried, just buy some extra baffles for any future replacement needs.

With quality 9mm cans out there and very reasonable prices, the only real benefit I see on the 9mm Form 1 can is wait time. Both the YHM R9 and Rex Silentium MG7 can be had for $350, are welded and come backed with excellent warranties.

If you are worried about baffle erosion and eventual replacement, buy from an established company with a long standing history of top notch customer service. Most all quality suppressor manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty inclusive of baffle repair/replacement. The key is picking one that will be around for the long haul like YHM, SICO, most likely Dead Air based on their current trajectory, Rugged, etc....

If you go the solvent trap / form 1 can route and you are worried, just buy some extra baffles for any future replacement needs.

With quality 9mm cans out there and very reasonable prices, the only real benefit I see on the 9mm Form 1 can is wait time. Both the YHM R9 and Rex Silentium MG7 can be had for $350, are welded and come backed with excellent warranties.
To add to this. There are machine shops that are licensed to make repairs/upgrades to silencers. Even replace or recore internals. Yes even your form 1 cans. It might cost more than the can and stamp together, but there are options.

Saying a warranty is forever isn't always true, just ask anyone that purchased anything form AAC.

Here is a great resource for baffle erosion.

1.You can build a better silencer than you can buy until you get into the $600+ range.

2.Not legal to change baffles on a can you build. No one would do that. Not only that but here within a few weeks/months there wont be aby place to buy them from . Trumps ATF is coming down hard on solvent trap cup sellers.

3. The wait time is still the biggest reason but see #1. In any case a solventtrapcups.com ( still in business ) K baffle silencer will last until the end of time.

Would there be an advantage to adding a second or third SS baffle vs aluminum in a 9mm can with the first one already stainless? The option can be made available during the initial build.

1.You can build a better silencer than you can buy until you get into the $600+ range.

2.Not legal to change baffles on a can you build. No one would do that. Not only that but here within a few weeks/months there wont be aby place to buy them from . Trumps ATF is coming down hard on solvent trap cup sellers.

3. The wait time is still the biggest reason but see #1. In any case a solventtrapcups.com ( still in business ) K baffle silencer will last until the end of time.

Could you clarify point 2? Is the builder not allowed to replace/repair baffles, or just third parties?

The same question from a little different angle: In order to install the tri-lug adapter into the suppressor, I need to remove two baffles. I also have a threaded adapter. Can I keep the two baffles I removed and re-install them when using the threaded adapter? I know the question may sound ridiculous, but I've been involved in enough government writing to know that interpretations can be absurd, or at least skewed when convenient. What's your opinion?

You can't. You get one end cap on each side of the silencer. Make a choice between having a threaded back cap or having a 3 lug. Seriously. I know, you're thinking but manufacturers do it. Why can't I ? Yeah they do but they do two things to be able to do that.

1. They have a sleeve that retains the baffles that the adapter screw into. They do not screw directly into the tube itself in most cases. Same goes for the distal end cap where manufacturers build cans with different apertures for different sized bullets. Sleeve or insert with a adapter for bullet sized screwed in. Now, your thinking to yourself you can do the same thing right? Manufacturers do it but they...

2. Submit a sample to the ATF for a variance letter. If you don't have a variance letter you do not have a legal silencer. It all goes back to the 1982 ATF ruling where the ATF declared any and all parts of silencers to be silencers in and of themselves if they are not attached to a working silencer. Extra parts and caps etc are verboten. Having a working silencer and an extra cap makes that cap an unregistered silencer.

Make sense in a government sort of way?

SilencerCo Hybrid, adapters thread into the baffle stack. The outer tube the baffle stack threads into is serialized.

Good luck on determinations. ATF is kicking tons of things back. Even things they previously approved made in a different material.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top