Rookie question about SS vs Al cups

PiratePast40

Reactions
For a 9mm suppressor, I've noticed on several web sites that the manufacturer/supplier used stainless for the threaded cap and first baffle and aluminum for the remaining cups and tube. I trust that they pretty much know what they're doing but was wondering why. Is it because the pressure and temps for 9mm are low enough that aluminum is perfectly acceptable? After the first baffle what are the pros and cons to having additional ones stainless? Easier to clean? Erosion resistance and longer life? I realize there is a weight penalty, but stock kit for 9mm from QB is only .5 lbs. Thanks in advance for sharing knowledge.

ETA - these are k baffles in the QuietBore can.

Last edited:

Dyjital

Reactions
erosion control and longevity.

The blast from the first baffle is brutal.
Running two SS then AL, another one I run all Ti. The Ti blast baffles look new after a lot of rounds (few hundred of .223, .308 and 6.5)

• Useful Info
Reactions: AMT
OP
PiratePast40

PiratePast40

Reactions
22lr Quietbore aluminum baffle erosion.

View attachment 778431
Looks significant, especially the one on the left. What was their position in the tube and do you see a different in performance? Since I'm still new to this, is that level of erosion to be expected, and will it continue? About how many rounds? Is there a chance that is steam impingement from adding water mist?

Reno

Reactions
Looks significant, especially the one on the left. What was their position in the tube and do you see a different in performance? Since I'm still new to this, is that level of erosion to be expected, and will it continue? About how many rounds? Is there a chance that is steam impingement from adding water mist?
Not my baffles, from Reddit user.

First baffle in can, blast baffle. No noticeable difference in performance per owner.

Even the strongest metals will erode. You’re hitting the blast baffle with supersonic gases, bits of powder and residue over and over each time you fire a gun with a can on the end. It will continue, it may slow as the hole gets big enough, but never really stops. Softer the metal, faster it occurs.

The main concern of erosion is a chunk of metal flying off a baffle and dominos through the rest of the can or out the side.

Not something that occurs within the first 100 rounds, but since suppressors are sort of permanent purchases, it’s usually best to try and invest in ones that are not so frail or need to bed sent in for repairs.

Reactions
If you are worried about baffle erosion and eventual replacement, buy from an established company with a long standing history of top notch customer service. Most all quality suppressor manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty inclusive of baffle repair/replacement. The key is picking one that will be around for the long haul like YHM, SICO, most likely Dead Air based on their current trajectory, Rugged, etc....

If you go the solvent trap / form 1 can route and you are worried, just buy some extra baffles for any future replacement needs.

With quality 9mm cans out there and very reasonable prices, the only real benefit I see on the 9mm Form 1 can is wait time. Both the YHM R9 and Rex Silentium MG7 can be had for $350, are welded and come backed with excellent warranties.

Reno

Reactions
If you are worried about baffle erosion and eventual replacement, buy from an established company with a long standing history of top notch customer service. Most all quality suppressor manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty inclusive of baffle repair/replacement. The key is picking one that will be around for the long haul like YHM, SICO, most likely Dead Air based on their current trajectory, Rugged, etc....

If you go the solvent trap / form 1 can route and you are worried, just buy some extra baffles for any future replacement needs.

With quality 9mm cans out there and very reasonable prices, the only real benefit I see on the 9mm Form 1 can is wait time. Both the YHM R9 and Rex Silentium MG7 can be had for $350, are welded and come backed with excellent warranties.
To add to this. There are machine shops that are licensed to make repairs/upgrades to silencers. Even replace or recore internals. Yes even your form 1 cans. It might cost more than the can and stamp together, but there are options.

Saying a warranty is forever isn’t always true, just ask anyone that purchased anything form AAC.

Here is a great resource for baffle erosion.

Reactions

1.You can build a better silencer than you can buy until you get into the $600+ range.

2.Not legal to change baffles on a can you build. No one would do that. Not only that but here within a few weeks/months there wont be aby place to buy them from . Trumps ATF is coming down hard on solvent trap cup sellers.

3. The wait time is still the biggest reason but see #1. In any case a solventtrapcups.com ( still in business ) K baffle silencer will last until the end of time.

OP
PiratePast40

PiratePast40

Reactions
Would there be an advantage to adding a second or third SS baffle vs aluminum in a 9mm can with the first one already stainless? The option can be made available during the initial build.

UPCOMING EVENTS

The Lead Farm PRS club match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Stupid Stains
    Why would a guy come from Vancouver invited to sell there rifle at your best place to transfer, and STAIN himself, just be cause you have a...
    • Badb57
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, friendly staff!
    J&B is a great local shop with good folks running it. I was looking for a G45 a while ago and wanted the front serrations and no grip notch. I...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place for transfers!
    I've done plenty of transfers there, it's close to my office. The staff knows their stuff and always friendly. I've done at least 15 transfers...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Always a pleasure to visit.
    :s0015: I've used this shop for many years, never had an issue. Great prices, everyone I've met working there has been top-notch, and I do like...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    My Go To For FTF Transfers and The only FFL I ship to.
    I use a Cut Above for Everything firearm related. I'm in there for something at least weekly. The team is great and the prices are great. You...
Top Bottom