JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know, I know. I've been reloading for 10yrs now. First time I've done this.

I mistakingly loaded the wrong primers.

I loaded cci 350 lg pistol mag primers into 338 win mag shells. They should have had cci 250 lg mag rifle primers. I primed 50. Glad I caught it before all 100 were primed.

they loaded no problem into the shells.

What kind of problems, if any, will this create?

Pistol primers have softer cups. Might not cause any trouble with light loads but I'd be reluctant to subject them to full charge rifle pressures. Primers aren't that expensive to risk a problem. I'd just fire them as blanks, count it as a learning experience, and start over.

if they are loaded shells,i'd take them apart rather than risk a primer piercing and possibly throwing hot crap back in your face.
If just primed cases,CAREFULLY push them back out .I cover them with a heavy cloth and turn my head when doing so,never had one cap off yet... ...
yet

I have a Lee Universal De-Priming Die for just this reason. Just operate the press slowly and steadily. The universal die has a depriming pin that is loose in the case so it won't trap the gasses should it accidently ignite and the die body itself will direct their flow away from your face. Wear protective eyewear as always.

I've deprimed live primers like this for well over 30 years with not a single detonation. It takes a "Blow" to set off a primer and slow steady pressure on a depriming pin won't do it. FWIW, I've even re-used the primers after removing like this but they really are the cheapest part of a reload so I no longer bother.

Then you throw them in the fire pit.Gives the dog something to think about

That gave me quite a smile. I was reading a novel several years ago by P. T. Deuterman. He described a dog that a "Mountain Man" owned that would chase the bullets when the guy shot at tin cans in the yard. He named the dog, a Jack Russel in the story, "Whizbang". While it was in a novel I could actually see something similar with dogs I've seen.

put water in the cases... also, the universal decapping dies (all of the big brands make them) are the way to go here, but be sure to pour a little bit of water in the case, yea it makes a mess, but less of a mess if one goes off during decapping.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top