JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I hate to say it but i forgot my Remington 700 in a wet case for about 2 weeks. And guess what metal does when it meets water for a long time. Anyways what's done has been done, now i need to know how i can make the outside of my gun look brand new on a cost effective way, as i'm trading it very soon for an AR. Please help me, located in Gresham area.

Thanks in advance

Vincent

Anyway for you to post a picture, so we can see how bad it really is? It is were me I'd start with some 0000 steel wool and a good gun oil. Try it in a small area that isn't conspicuous and see what happens. If you like the result, then work the whole gun over.

I'd be awful pissed if I traded a gun and found out the internals were rusted.

I'm sure you wouldn't neglect the internals and just clean up the outside.

That said, post some pictures and people will give you some ideas.
Lots of people say fine brass/bronze wool and kroil (or other gun oil). Apply the oil and lightly (very lightly) work the brass wool. Long and slow process. Don't hurry. I couldn't find brass wool locally, so I bought some from Amazon.

Keep in mind getting rust removal advice is like asking for a cookie recipe. Everyone has one, most of them will make decent cookies, some are great, and some are falafel patties in disguise.

If you do go with the steel/brass wool I would stop before getting into the base finish. If you want to make it presentable I would buy some "3M Perfect It" or similar auto paint fine finisher to help eliminate the scratches left by the wool. If the rust isnt that bad I would start with the Perfect It in a hidden area like the underside of the barrel. Also as others have stated tear it down and fix the internals, I would remove those first anyway in preperation for rust removal.
Sorry for the hard lesson you have learned, you are not the first or last but I bet you dont do that again.

If you find that the rust is too deep to remove without damaging the bluing, shoot me an email if your interested. I re-finish guns for a hobbie (i send out for bluing or oxide), but i can do pretty much any finish at a cheaper rate than any of the shops around.

otters rust remover and wd-40 and 0000 steel wool and keep wet. Been there and did that. As long as it is not pitted or deeper than the surface you will be all right. I have to say though my Remingtons rust a lot easier these days then my older ones. That styrofoam in the box does something to the coating and they should cover it in plastic.

Good luck.

well here are the pics, i think i need to get it "blued" (as i don't really know what it mean, but the top layer of dark grey was partially eaten away) and i do want to get it fixed just to make sure the next person will enjoy it as much as i did. I broke it all down and cleaned everything, it's just those marks are the only things left. Luckily from what i could see inside the barrell is clean as a whistle.

here are pics

IMG_7199.jpg
IMG_4498.jpg
IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg

I wouldn't reblue it. You have cleaned it up as well as possible. I would ask the party you are trading to how much cash they would want, do to the shape the gun is in now.
I bet it would be a lot cheaper to go this way than to pay for a reblue.

Well, I hate to say it but i forgot my Remington 700 in a wet case for about 2 weeks. And guess what metal does when it meets water for a long time. Anyways what's done has been done, now i need to know how i can make the outside of my gun look brand new on a cost effective way, as i'm trading it very soon for an AR. Please help me, located in Gresham area.

Thanks in advance

Vincent

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top