JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a roof inspection. They said all I need is some moss removal. The offer a 3 year No leak guarantee using this Dennco Product. Total cost is $700.00 for a 1400 sq ft roof. Seem reasonable? Any professional advice welcomed.

It depends on your roof and how much moss you have, but you can go to Home Depot and buy some zinc powder and spread it on your roof. After a few months this will kill the moss and the moss may just roll off the roof when it rains hard, if it is steep enough.

'Moss, the State flower of Oregon', according to mrs tac, who loathes the stuff. 'All those poor trees', she moans, looking at the masses of moss coating most surfaces that don't move.

When you live in a sub-tropical rainforest-designated state, moss comes as part of the deal.

Unless, of course, you live in the High Desert...

tac

Yeah, try living on the north side of a mountain where you get 50% more rain than the valley does. Moss and mold on everything including creosoted railroad ties.

Ketchikan was even worse - it was like walking on jello. Very rocky, but moss/etc. growing everywhere and beneath that either water soaked ground or rocks. I liked the time I spent there though - nice and quiet.

If they are removing the moss by hand, yes $250-$700 can be reasonable.

Pressure washing damages a composition roof over time. Removing even zinc exposed dead moss by hand is the best way.

Even dead moss can still pop shingles so it's best to remove then apply any type of moss out.

I buy a 50# bag of zinc sulphate monohydrate (fine powder, not granules) from a place called "Concentrates Inc" near Bobs Red Mill store off of Hwy 224 and it will last a homeowner many many years. Cost is around $55.00 a bag.
Home Depot sells Mossout which is the same product in a little 1lb can for around $8.99.
Just sprinkle a little bit along the ridge and within 30 days, every scrap of moss will turn black.
One caution, you should wear a dust mask when handling this.

Last Edited:
"Ooooooooooooooooh one two five"

There are better options out there. They quoted me a $1,000 and I had just a hint of moss.

I now use the 'moss out' powder every fall and have no signs anymore.

I buy a 50# bag of zinc sulphate monohydrate (fine powder, not granules) from a place called "Concentrates Inc" near Bobs Red Mill store off of Hwy 224 and it will last a homeowner many many years. Cost is around $55.00 a bag.
Home Depot sells Mossout witch is the same product in a little 1lb can for around $8.99.
Just sprinkle a little bit along the ridge and within 30 days, every scrap of moss will turn black.
One caution, you should wear a dust mask when handling this.

Anyone found bulk zinc sulphate monohydrate in the PDX area?

Home Depot also carries a spray called Spray and Forget. It has worked wonders for me. Even the black junk on a driveway is some kind of moss.

You spray it on and wait. It has a residual effect of at least a year. The moss dies, degrades, becomes a powder that rain will wash completely clean.

I get the ready-to-spray bottles for the roof. A garden hose is attached and it will spray about 20 feet. For the rest I buy the 1 gallon concentrate and mix that with 5 gallons of water and use my backpack or hand held garden sprayer.

I know zinc works, but this saturates it all at once and it is history. I might use zinc as a preventative.

Zinc won't work like this does on walks, driveways, etc.

This is the Off Topic section, right? Was the thread moved here from somewhere else where it didn't belong? I didn' really see it as a glowing endorsement for anyone and it seems there are cheaper solutions.

I've used a number of powder and crystaline zinc based products on my roof and they all kill moss. It turns brown and crispy, and just stays right where it was. It still has to be removed.

I heard about Spray & Forget on the radio last week. I'm going to try it and see if it degrades moss enough to break down and wash away in the monsoons (assuming I still have shingles after yesterday's blow).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top