Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

romanian dragunov for $499

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by ruSSrt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

Hey guys!

So been on the market for those things for a little bit and cam across one in my lockal pawn shop. $499 for romanian with wooden stock in really good condition stock, rifle with optic but pretty dirty and could use some really good cleaning. But ionly think I don't really like about it is its smooth bore. So I can get if for $499.

So I need a second opinion! What you guys think?

2. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

Just to add a little more info. I already have mosin nagant with same round and I have bunch of ammo for it. So ammo should not be a problem.

3. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I'd probably buy it if I saw it and had the $.

4. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Smooth bore? Like in shot out?

5. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

thats what i'm debating. i have money.... but wanna make sure that its gonna be a good decision!

6. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

not sure about shot out but it appears to be smooth ... no groove.... doesn't look like its been shot that much to actually clean that barrel out

7. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

If there is no rifling, its not worth the money. If the rifling looks good, do a quick takedown, if they'll let you, and make sure there is no rust in the gas tube, gas block or bolt carrier, which would indicate a lack of cleaning after shooting corrosive-primered surplus ammo. If all that looks OK, its a good deal at that price and I'd get it.

BTW, although sometimes called or marketed as a Romanian 'Dragunov', it isn't in any way similar to a real Dragunov other than it fires the same round. It is in reality just a large, beefy AK.

Best of luck to you.

Keith

8. Generator

Generator Bend Member

is this one of the Century Imports made at the Cuger factory?
    If so, get it!
    the scopes are no good in my opinion but can be sold to people more interested in their uniqueness. Mine wouldn't zero on the PSL (what the Romanian Drugonov really is - an actual Drug is a few grand more) and wouldnt zero on my AK-74.
    Its easy to get a mount for a better scope and you will want more zoom since its a "sniper"/"precision rifle"

Also, DONT shoot your Mosin Ammo in it. ... well maybe you can, x54r comes in heavy and light. The heavy is great in a Mosin but will FFFFFFFF-up your PSL, it has to much 'umph' for the AK piston system.
    Luckily the light ball ammo is cheap and plentiful online.

These guns are great, but keep in mind, its not a Sniper rifle as some people say - its an AK sniper (and not an RPK heavy barrel) so the barrel heats up quick, it has great accuracy if you are shooting clays or cans - and you can do that when it is hot as ****, but its not going to go in the black of a target every time like some disappointed buyers expect from a "sniper"

Hope this helps....
    and if I went on to long...

BUY IT.

thats the short version.

9. Generator

Generator Bend Member

I try to keep my language clean, I didn't realize that H double Hockey Sticks was bad... I guess its back to Heck for me.

10. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The "smooth" bore would probably kill the deal for me. Unless it's just so fouled up that you just can't see the rifling anymore (and I don't even know how possible that is), it could be that it's completely worn out.

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

If there is indeed no rifling, it is then not by definition a rifle. Semiauto musket? :laugh:

12. trainsktg

I'm probably going way out on a limb here, but if it is truly a smoothbore, it might be a Saiga .410 conversion with PSL furniture and sight blocks.

Most likely though, the barrel is either shot out as said above, or it got overlooked during the rifling stage of production. Regardless of how the rifling may have turned up missing, if that is in fact the case, I wouldn't even bother with it.

If you do get it, as also said above, limit yourself to shooting light ball ammo in the 150 grain range. Without an adjustable gas block you'll beat the heck out of the receiver by shooting heavy ball.

Keith

13. Generator

Generator Bend Member

I jumped the gun... figuratively, smooth bore makes this a great piece of tubing to shoot spitballs thru. I hope its got rifling!

the post I'm quoting is right, check the receiver, if it has what I typed out above - then check the barrel. If its a Saiga .410 ... well aside from your want of it; check places like www.classicarms.us for comparable prices, and consider the cost of the stock.

I hope we are giving you more info than needed.
    Let us know how it turns out, smooth bore/rifle/oldcrapgun/lilbitofcleanupScore.... we want to know

14. trainsktg

A $500 PSL-stocked Saiga .410 conversion would be a kick in the pants wouldn't it? I just did a quick search and didn't find a commercial conversion like this. It would have to be a custom job.

I have a Saiga 12 with AK furniture and sight blocks. It looks just like an AK-74, including muzzle brake, but it was done by Red Jacket and sold through Atlantic. Super cool. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct776.aspx

Keith

15. shoggoth80

shoggoth80 Greater Seattle Area Member

By any chance, is the barrel just socked full of cosmo? Scrub the snot out of it, and then take a look. .410 would be neat... but a nice Dragunov would be better.

16. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The 10 o' clock news would call it an assault musket.

As far as cosmoline goes, I dunno that Century-made AK type rifles get packed in that stuff. I've ordered a couple from J&G, no cosmo.

17. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

well yesterday when i checked it wasnt a saiga conversion. ROmanian PSL letters on the side of it.
    I'm gonna go to that store right now and check it out again.

18. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member

so i just got back from the store and no.... not getting it. I check it out closely and looks like some time long ago that rifle had some rifling in it not anymore. you can see something you can say once was groove but not its just couple lines down the barrel. Brand new .30 cal brush going in pretty much with no resistants......
    my search continues.

19. trainsktg

20. ruSSrt

ruSSrt WA Member