JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I actually bought these two some time back, and when I got around to testing them....... I got a big surprise.
The caliber is .327 Magnum. Chrono showed a MV of 1,360fps. The stated ME is 425lb! In a hollow point the stats are better than the 9mm and the .38spl +P Perfect for my girls in the clan, but when I thought about it, the Ruger SP101 profile was small enough for a CC, and the smaller of the two, the Taurus, was highly concealable.

Researching the factual statistics on the caliber and cartridge convinced me. The real bonus is that this little revolver will take all of the available .32 caliber cartridges, so practicing gets very easy with the .32 short. The ballistics put this caliber right in the bottom 1/4th of the .357 magnum specs.

I carry the SP101 with a Crimson Trace in a shoulder holster.

IMG_1405.jpg IMG_1407.jpg

Very nice indeed. I have to admit, with the advent of the .327 some years back, I have cast my gaze upon said on more than one occasion. Compact revolver, six shots (rather than five in some platforms), smoking ballistics, and the ability to run .32 S&W, .32 Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 ACP (it is semi-rimmed), and .327 Federal? Ever so neat-o.

Consarn it, I need to add this to the list to research again. :s0155:

I really like mine. My favorite all rounder. I train with a lot of S&W long. Shoots like a .22 almost.
If only Ruger would make a convertible SA. One cylinder .327 and one 32-20. How nice would that be?

It seems like this caliber screams to be built in a 6" S&W K frame or something similar but all the ones I have seen in this barrel length have been custom. Personal opinion but I think it is sad to limit it to such short barrels (generally). The 4" Ruger interests me slightly but I would likely not be able to pass up a 6". Would love to spend some time developing loads for this.

Hear that S&W (or Ruger even)

It seems like this caliber screams to be built in a 6" S&W K frame or something similar but all the ones I have seen in this barrel length have been custom. Personal opinion but I think it is sad to limit it to such short barrels (generally). The 4" Ruger interests me slightly but I would likely not be able to pass up a 6". Would love to spend some time developing loads for this.

Hear that S&W (or Ruger even)
Jackrabbits don't care if you pot them with a slingshot and since 6" guns are for the field (if you're a fudd) might as well just pack a slingshot for 'em.

Thanks for the post.

The 327 intrigues me a lot. I would definitely add it to the ringer if I break down and buy another revolver. IP43 had me looking at a couple. Especially those in 9mm.

Not a direct comparison, but this video made me highly consider the 9mm, I really wish he tested the 327 next to it as well as a couple other barrel lengths and ammos.

Smith and Wesson produced the Model 16 in the wonderful .32 S&W Long and this is one of the Holy Grail Guns for many Smith Collectors. In more recent times they produced the Model 16-4 in .32 H&R Magnum with 6" & 8-3/8" lengths. This is the "K" Frame with the Full Underlug barrel. The .327 had not yet hit the market. This Model 16-4 sold very quickly. But then the .327 Federal Magnum hit the market and for some reason the folks at Smith and Wesson decided NOT to bring out a Model 16-?.

The Model 16-4 with the Full Underlug Barrel is a pretty heavy revolver for the cartridge and is very much like shooting a Model 17 in .22 Rimfire. I believe that most of the Model 16-4s have ended up as Safe Queens. Mine wasn't one of those. I used my 8-3/8" gun in NRA Hunter Pistol Silhouette Matches and brought home the bacon more than once.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top