JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to have to try those methods. I should be heading to the coast soon, i'll try to put this stuff to use then. I think I know just the spot.

That's a good looking salmon, Jim!
Makes me hungry!

I've had good success with Luhr Jensen' steelies.
Steelhead love the color blue and after using the solid blue color lure, I found that the river rocks would rub off the center paint down to the silver base color and that's when the fish hit the best.
Luhr Jensen finally came out with the striped blue/silver one and that's the one I would stock up on.

View attachment 440317

Be careful swingin spoons because Steelhead hit so hard they will pull the rod out of your hands.... It happened to me & just was lucky to get my Lamiglas rod & Shimano lefty combo back minus the spoon & fish.
:eek::eek::eek:

Be careful swingin spoons because Steelhead hit so hard they will pull the rod out of your hands.... It happened to me & just was lucky to get my Lamiglas rod & Shimano lefty combo back minus the spoon & fish.
:eek::eek::eek:
Yep, nothin' quite like a "hardware hit".
They whack 'em good. No nibblin' involved.
And now's when those big bucks are on patrol.
That's when you'll get the fish fight of your life.

A good friend of mine lived on the Sandy River above Dodge park and he was a master fisherman using bait.
He would be 20' from me and start yelling at me to set the hook while I feebly tried to understand that a fish was actually mouthing the eggs as it drifted down river.
He finally gave up and gave me a worn out blue steelie and on my second cast a beautiful 12 lb buck slammed the lure.
I never did get the hang of it and did better using my own hand made spinners and store bought lures.
Bait fishing is not for everyone.

Last Edited:
Deschutes
August through October
We whack the schitt of 'em.

The easiest way (and fishery) to hook up to Mr. Big in my opinion.
I've only caught fish there swinging salmon flies, or micro jigs.
The "keeper" trout there hit wetflies too...

Last Edited:
I've only caught fish there swinging salmon flies, or micro jigs.
The "keeper" trout there hit wetflies too...
I sense you're up in "Yuppie Water" up around Maupin ?
I fish the "Lower 24".....the big water.

Finally floated the Lower 24 last August.
Rented an Achilles 15' self-bailer.
3 days, 2 nights minimum to do it and fish.
Kick in the butt.....everyone should do it.

Last Edited:
I sense you're up in "Yuppie Water" up around Maupin ?
I fish the "Lower 24".....the big water.

Finally floated the Lower 24 last August.
Rented an Achilles 15' self-bailer.
3 days, 2 nights minimum to do it and fish.
Kick in the butt.....everyone should do it.
I would like to know where from, I always figured you went up from Heritage. I've really been meaning to fish that stretch, but Maupin is easier to get to. LoL Mecca is where I have caught salmon, few miles up from Maupin is where I catch large red bands. I bet it was cheaper than five nights in Maupin, and better fishing.
Edit: part of my interest with that stretch is that the hatch starts closer to my BDay down there and it's become sort of a tradition.

I would like to know where from, I always figured you went up from Heritage.
The put in for the Lower 24 is at Mack's Canyon.
You are committed to 24 miles.....no takeouts 'til Heritage.

Sometimes we hike up from the mouth.
You can bike up on the East bank from the mouth.
Sometimes we take a jet boat up from Heritage. We use Pete Field (Field Guide Service) and his 454 Chevrolet powered jet boat.

Everyone should do the jet trip.
You taxi out below Moody Rapids like a jet plane on the tarmac, wait your turn and then blast off.

I used to fish from shore for steelies just above the I84 bridge in September, along with 25-50 other people. Cast had to be timed so that everybody had the same tempo of swing in the water. Only took one or two fools to mess everybody up. And anyone getting a hookup had to get out of line to deal with it. Used a small corkie or a corkie and yarn, pink and white worked really well. Surprisingly, I caught enough to make it worth returning. You can tell when the fish are in by the boats off the mouth and the crowd on the banks. But I can't take it anymore and look for more solitude, never to be had on good steelie water. Good reason to have a boat or raft. Even then...

I've seen it get wild down there before. Always get upset with the yahoos fishing off the bridge on the back road there.

Are you talking new Subaru or 90's Subaru? I'll have to figure that out. LMAO

Bridge fishing is weird. They get a hookup and have to get down onto the bank... nobody is gonna pull a nice fish up 30' in the air!! I know that from pier fishing and catching a shark on a light rod. BTW, pier fishing late at night, early in the morning, is a great way to learn from the old retired guys that love to talk. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top