JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any experience with the RRA LAR-8. I am considering jumping on the 308 bandwagon and giving it a try as I can't find what I am looking for in my preferred caliber. I found a used LAR-8 and I like how it felt and looked but I was having a difficult time finding good reviews on them. Can anyone out there who has used them let me know how that are or maybe point me in the direction of some good reviews to help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

The RRA gets good owner reviews at arfcom.

Does this RRA use FAL mags? Most have gone with the SR-25 magazine style, mostly because of the popularity of Pmags.

I'm not sold on the long term reliability of a plastic mag in .308/7.62. I'll keep my modified M14 mags, FAL mags should be as robust and reliable.

Budget? The RRA seems to get mixed reviews, at least early on. It's not a "standard" platform so you may run into issues getting certain things to work. You also may want to do some research into WHY Bushmaster (was Bushy wasn't it?) dropped this design. During the release of the rifle it was a big topic/concern and also caused hold ups on initial delivery

Love mine. It uses FAL mags. Fit & finish are great. I got the 16" midlength and wasn't that happy with the groups it was getting (about 1.5 MOA at 100 yds, even though that's what RRA guarantees), but after a few hundred rounds it improved. I figured why not try that Tubbs fire lapping system and now it's sub MOA (usually around .75, sometimes at .5 with handloads).
There aren't really any .308 AR designs that are "standard" as there is no standard, so you can't mix n match parts like you can with an AR-15.

Not like the AR-15 platform with all of the manufacturers building to the same TDP. It would be nice if there was a standard instead of so many different parts, magazines, etc. Hopefully some day there will be.

There is a thread on arfcom that goes over some of the commonalities and differences. It's old but includes most of the larger manufactuers. .308 AR FAQ? Your help & knowledge is requested! - AR15.Com Mobile

Not like the AR-15 platform with all of the manufacturers building to the same TDP. It would be nice if there was a standard instead of so many different parts, magazines, etc. Hopefully some day there will be.

There is a thread on arfcom that goes over some of the commonalities and differences. It's old but includes most of the larger manufactuers. .308 AR FAQ? Your help & knowledge is requested! - AR15.Com Mobile

AR15 manufacturers SHOULD all do to TDP spec correct.
Yes there is no TDP for AR10/sr25 but there are two "standards", and one of those has made changes to be compatable with the other.

I love my two ar-15 RRA 5.56 guns. Nice two stage triggers. I allso have two .308 FN FAL rifles. So I have a lot of FAL mags.
The thing that I don't like about the RRA .308 gun is the fal mag. The FAL upper has the feed lips machined into the receiver. The mag has curved metal lips to retain the ammo in the mag. But not to feed. Next time you are holding an fal, open it up and remove the bolt and dust cover. You will see the receiver feed lips are part of the gun.
Now I'm not saying it won't work. I am saying the mag was not made to work in the AR-308 guns. Just the FAL.
I don't think many know of this befor they buy the RRA.

Now I'm not saying it won't work. I am saying the mag was not made to work in the AR-308 guns. Just the FAL.
I don't think many know of this befor they buy the RRA.
I have a half dozen FAL mags for my lar-8 and all feed flawlessly except for one which has bent feed lips.