Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rock Quarry near Molalla

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by FordPrefect, Aug 9, 2013.

1. FordPrefect

FordPrefect Woodburn, Oregon Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I went out looking for this last weekend and I just kept getting lost :huh:. I am going to be trying again this weekend and I was wondering if anybody had some good directions to it coming from Woodburn.

2. Papa Jon

Papa Jon outer N.E. Portland Member

I tried going thereabout 3 weeks ago and the gate was closed
    ended up going to Memaloose

3. FordPrefect

Well, finally found this place. It's open at least of last weekend. Was up tuning my shotgun and just a word of warning, somebody else came up to shoot, he didn't because it started raining but while he was waiting and deciding he and his SO walked around and picked up some garbage and he said he saw something like a grow operation going on. May want to be careful if you go up there alone.

4. motohead185

motohead185 Portland, OR Member

is this the shooting area in the molalla corridor?

5. FordPrefect

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm still new to traveling in the woods here in Oregon.

6. xd45acp

xd45acp molalla Active Member

yes it is. gate was open today.

7. motohead185

motohead185 Portland, OR Member

A grow is going on up there. last time i wad up there with friends we some auto campers aka wonders.

8. BIGMEATY

BIGMEATY Clackamas Member

It would be good if someone that's been up there recently could report the grow to LE. I know they are everywhere nowadays but it would be nice to have a place to shoot without having to deal with shady undesirables. Just a thought...

9. FordPrefect

I just sent an e-mail off to ODFW. Not sure if I should contact the Molalla PD or not.

10. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

Contacting ODFW is good, honestly I wouldn't bother with the local PD. Instead I would let clackamas county sheriffs know. I see the sheriffs up there a lot more than molalla police.

orygun likes this.
  11. cooper

cooper molalla Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wish they would open the gate ( removal preferred ) . I know my neighbors wish they would . While I'm a responsible/considerate shooter it still blows......I've got good back-stop + few acres to muffle noise but ! They don't shoot and if they do its " wood-guns not black-guns " My hand is tired from monthly " knock-talks " with neighbors. We've exchanged contact info just in case of " special no shoot days " I MADE SURE TO INCLUDE ODFW/STATE REPRESENITIVE CONTACT INFO AS WELL . HOPEFULLY ALL THE EFFORTS PUT FORTH " CLEAN-UPS " CAN GET US BACK IN THE WOODS . I AM TWO BLOCKS FROM NORTH FORK BRIDGE , WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DRIVE TO MEMALOOSE TO SHOOT . HELP........

12. mike1281

mike1281 Canby Member

Waiting for that gate to open too. Want to take my son out with his new .22. We're new to molalla and hoping for a place to go that's closer than the memaloose area. Anyone know anything about outdoor spots further out sawtell road? Thinking of taking a drive out there.

13. cooper

cooper molalla Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Welcome to Molalla , I'll get some directions sent your way ( Sawtell rd ) Its no gravel pit , your looking at dead-end roads with clear-cut back stop . It can get a little hairy without a pit , not everyone understands the concept and requirement of SUBSTANTIAL back stop . You could let him pop a box in my yard ......no worries

mike1281 likes this.
  14. mike1281

mike1281 Canby Member

Great! thanks for the offer. Look forward to getting some directions out sawtell. Thank you.

15. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Agree with cooper. Remember to only shoot with a substantial berm and backstop, and ensure no living things cross your line of fire. Hikers, mushroom gatherers and plant foragers can wander to unusual places and are sometimes deaf or oblivious to shooting activity. You will be liable for any accident.

Recently I've had deer wander into my range too, so scan for critters as well.

mike1281 likes this.
  16. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

:s0169: