JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

I'm trying to talk myself out of this. The only negative is that the mags are kinda spendy. Does anyone have any experience with it?

I think you volunteered to be the beta tester. Rock Island makes good stuff for the money, I'd have no problem trying one out. :)

I think you volunteered to be the beta tester. Rock Island makes good stuff for the money, I'd have no problem trying one out. :)
I've become aware over the past few minutes that they are the same pistols as the Para P10 warthog. RIA made the frames for Para USA. My TAC .45 by RIA has been fantastic so far.

So I'm probably going to buy one.

I owned Para Ordnance (Canada) P10 in stainless when they were originally released back in the late 90's. It had a failure to feed rate at around 50% 230gr FMJ's. Total POS.

Full disclosure: I never sent it back for warranty work and as such, no way to know if Para could have rectified the issue with it or not. Didn't care to find out either. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I quickly moved on from it.

Who knows, maybe mine was a fluke, but anything less than Commander length 1911's nowadays is going to be a hard pass for me. I do love my single stack 9mm 1911 Rock Island though!

I owned Para Ordnance (Canada) P10 in stainless when they were originally released back in the late 90's. It had a failure to feed rate at around 50% 230gr FMJ's. Total POS.

Full disclosure: I never sent it back for warranty work and as such, no way to know if Para could have rectified the issue with it or not. Didn't care to find out either. Left a bad taste in my mouth and I quickly moved on from it.

Who knows, maybe mine was a fluke, but anything less than Commander length 1911's nowadays is going to be a hard pass for me. I do love my single stack 9mm 1911 Rock Island though!

That's the kind of failure l was alluding to with @OldTengu... they have some difficulty with the feed ramp angle on most very small handguns and the 1911s seem to be especially prone to it.
I just didn't want to say it out loud... jinxes and stuff.
I did research that. Apparently the people at RIA were aware of these issues from the P10 and their first generation of the BBR .45, and made some updates. I read quite a few reviews of them from the last year as well, and it seems that between the updates to the feed ramp and recoil spring, as well as the addition of porting the slide and barrel while removing the fiber optic sights, that the issues from the predecessors have been alleviated. At least I hope.

I have the Para Warthog compact in 9 mm and it has been mostly flawless! It needed it''s recoil spring system replaced with the "Improved" double spring system and guide rod, and has ran flawlessly since! Couple things to note, the Para pattern pistols including R.I.A. use the "Para" barrel ramp and cut frame which is a very stout setup, and will usually feed flawlessly after a minor break in, most 1911 feeing issues can be traced to the throat and or the breach face finish!
Also note, compact 1911's tent to have VERY high slide velocities and can be known to over run the magazine, this can be a difficult issue to sort out, but once it's cured, it's usually flawless after! Given R.I.A. reputation for really stepping up their quality, I would say it's a safe bet to get one, likely to run right, right out of the box!

I have the Para Warthog compact in 9 mm and it has been mostly flawless! It needed it''s recoil spring system replaced with the "Improved" double spring system and guide rod, and has ran flawlessly since! Couple things to note, the Para pattern pistols including R.I.A. use the "Para" barrel ramp and cut frame which is a very stout setup, and will usually feed flawlessly after a minor break in, most 1911 feeing issues can be traced to the throat and or the breach face finish!
Also note, compact 1911's tent to have VERY high slide velocities and can be known to over run the magazine, this can be a difficult issue to sort out, but once it's cured, it's usually flawless after! Given R.I.A. reputation for really stepping up their quality, I would say it's a safe bet to get one, likely to run right, right out of the box!
My TAC .45 had one failure to feed, and it was fairly intentional.
One of my tests for a carry weapon is to load a bunch of different weights and projectile types of ammo and limp wrist the Schitt out of the pistol to see if it still runs. Failed to feed some defensive stuff in that test, but ran a few mags of the same nice and smooth.

I'm trying to talk myself out of this. The only negative is that the mags are kinda spendy. Does anyone have any experience with it?
I have the 1911 10mm. Rock Island makes great handguns. I'm looking into the new Walther PDP myself.

It's at Keith's "awaiting processing", has been since yesterday. Was advised I'll be contacted when I can come start 4473. I have a feeling something is going to go wrong.

Last Edited:
D1CE215E-DD23-40F3-9050-1FC901380274.jpeg
picked up this morning. Mom was with me, she wanted to try it. Between the two of us it saw 200 rounds. No failures. No jams. Works great out of the box, sights are dead on. Highly recommend.
@Kruel J you're up next!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top