JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've recently been looking at getting a semi compact 1911 being my full size is uncomfortable to carry. Being a cheaper make, i've never really considered RIA, but they've been recently recommended to me as the 'best bang for my buck.' Would anyone contest this, or agree? Recommendations on RIA models specific and input is welcome also.

Thanks in advance!

Tyler

Nothing wrong with them good gun for the money ,Now your gonna get all the purests telling not to buy ya know I have read the reviews and more positive then negitive and I can find bad reviews about any gun so it's your call

I strongly agree based on having mine for over a year - at one time I had two of them. I feel that though they are not the most pretty pistol they are of excellent value. I have yet to have any problems with mine. I have Kimbers and a nice Colt but the RIA is the one that I carry almost every day. Please save yourself trouble and get some nice magazines. I use to hear about how unreliable the compact 1911's are - based on my experience I have not found this to be true.

James Ruby

Ive shot several 4" 1911's and i love em. i find them to be more comfortable for my hands, in the end making me more accurate with a semi compact rather than a full size. Im definitely gonna shot around and ask different salesmen at different stores and get their opinion as well. Thanks for the replies so far!

Tyler

On the subject of RIA's - anyone know about putting night sights on the tactical models ( meaning non staked front sight models ) - what are the right set of sights to put on these and is there soemone in Portland that can do this for a reasonable fee ( not free)?
Please dont say Allison and Carrie - I would throw the gun away first.

James Ruby

RIA's are great for the money!

On the sights I can't remember the size off top of my head but recall they use a not so common size. Google should have actual size for ya.

On the subject of RIA's - anyone know about putting night sights on the tactical models ( meaning non staked front sight models ) - what are the right set of sights to put on these and is there soemone in Portland that can do this for a reasonable fee ( not free)?
Please dont say Allison and Carrie - I would throw the gun away first.

James Ruby

Mine was peppering my face with brass, so it went back. GREAT customer service by the way. If your pistol ever needs service, RIA will treat you right.

I love mine now that's running right. I swapped out the grips and put an arched MSH on it.

I owned a Charles Daly 1911 made by the same company (Armscor) that makes Rock Islands. I loved the gun - until the cast guide rod shattered while I was shooting. It did a number chewing up the inside of the frame. It really turned me off to the inexpensive, cast guns on the market. I don't have a problem with well-made cast guns - it's the cheaply made ones that give me heart burn. I got the frame fixed, and replaced the busted components with Ed Brown parts.

If you get a Rock Island gun - I would be leery about shooting +P ammunition in them. There was nothing in the manual about them not handling +P, and nothing on the manufacturer's or importers website. That said - when my guide rod shattered, I was shooting 200 grain +P Cor Bon JHP's to test their functionality and reliability in the gun, as this was my .45 carry load of choice at the time (mostly because 200 grain Hornady XTP stuff was no where to be found). Standard pressure stuff will probably pose no issues.

Were it me - and I got said gun - I would probably replace any cast internals with higher quality parts just to avoid any problems like that down the road. At minimum I'd ditch the guide rod and slide stop and go with stronger parts.

RIA is a great gun i hear. never got to shoot one yet. I just recently purchased a metro arms 1911. great quality gun also from the Philippines. only difference is that it comes "loaded". Mine came with an extended mag release, extended slide release, extended safety, novack sights, extended beaver tail and an ACT mag. I would say that the gun is well made. just have to really clean it before you go shoot it. lots of extra grease and oil you dont need.

The price of the Metro Arms and the RIA are comparable. Ive seen RIA from 350 to 600 and MA from 400 to 600. I bought mine for 590 total. paid a little extra but it's a hard to find gun around my local area. funny thing is where i got mine there is an extra if youre willing to drive to albany.

Have and have also traded several. Using std loads, or my reloads, 5gr.Reddot on 230 gr bullets,. shoots them all day long. Would recommend for entry level firearm. I have many a 45, and for the $ this is still a reasonable 45

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top