JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the capacity ban sticks I can see that my opinion on relatively low capacity 1911s in larger calibers may be revised. Between 8 and 17 rounds the choice is a no brainer, but between 7-8 and 10 the answer is way less clear.

If the mag capacity ban sticks, do they make 10 rounders for the doublestack Rocks ?
Maybe?

If this will work universally i do not know.

If the mag capacity ban sticks, do they make 10 rounders for the doublestack Rocks ?

Maybe?

If this will work universally i do not know.
Looks about right, but hard to tell. The issue is the double stack RIA is in 10mm not 45.

10mm is no joke. I haven't shot much .45 since I started shooting about 5- 6 years ago, but the few times I did I found .45 in the 1911 platform pretty smooth and controlable even though the round had double the weight of 9mm. The fact that .45 is usually subsonic makes a can for one a bit more attractive too. I'm sold on the general superiority of a good double stack 9mm for self defense because of increased capacity, but I do prefer the feel and aesthetics of metal frame pistols and love the feel of a real single action trigger. RIA rep for affordable quality makes prospect of an RIA 1911 attractive too.

Last Edited:
I had a full sized 45 Tactical. I shot it well. Never had an issue and it shot everything from steel cased to hollow point ammo. They were under $500 back then.

Reliable is reliable, and they are reliable. I doubt I'd drop $800. A few dollars more and you jump a tier.

Always wanted a 1911 in 40s&w but its 10/9/45.

Also, unsure why rails seem to be taboo. I've found a holster that indexes to the light so that's my planned method of carry.

I had a full sized 45 Tactical. I shot it well. Never had an issue and it shot everything from steel cased to hollow point ammo. They were under $500 back then.

Reliable is reliable, and they are reliable. I doubt I'd drop $800. A few dollars more and you jump a tierSA,
Kimber, S/A, RIA, PARA, all are forged upper and lower with MiM parts. Gotta move to Wilson or Nighthawk before you get an all forged precision gun. I have had zero issues with my RIA guns, best bang for the buck IMO.

Kimber, S/A, RIA, PARA, all are forged upper and lower with MiM parts. Gotta move to Wilson or Nighthawk before you get an all forged precision gun. I have had zero issues with my RIA guns, best bang for the buck IMO.
Ruger is in there somewhere. Really hard to go wrong with any of them. I actually preferred my RIA to my friends Ruger. The RIA took all magazines, even really old surplus with no problems.

I wanted a Rock Island double stack 9mm/22TCM in the Tac Ultra configuration. A fellow member on this board made me a great deal on a lower model double stack 9mm/22tcm. It needs new sights (I wish it had the Tac Ultra sights) but otherwise it is a great gun!

If I were going to buy any 1911 and only have 10 round mags I would just purchase a single stack 1911. Lighter, slimmer and more standard parts than a double stack. Just my preference though. The reason I bought the HC (double stack) RIA was for the 17round 9mm magazines.
Double stack 1911's also have a bit of a reputation for being more finicky and a bit more prone to having feed issues than single stacks. Single stack mags have well over a hundred years of proven reliability!

Last Edited:
Well, just dropped a dime on it today. Rock Ultra CS .45.

Bought it from Bud's. My first online firearm purchase. Under $600 (before Uncle Sam wet his beak).

Hopefully it will be at my local FFL in a week or so, then I have to sit around for another ten days to satisfy the gun-haters in the State Gov who seem to delight in pissing me off. I'm thinking by the time I finally have it "in hand" the snow will be melted and the range on my property will be ready for action.

My experience with Rock Island has been top drawer. I have a 10mm and .22TCM 1911s and my son glommed my .45 acp 1911. RIA was one of if not the first budget 1911 to come with all the basic upgrades you would want on a 1911 like ambi safety, beavertail and commander style hammer. 12 years ago, my .45 1911 went through a 4 day class at Front Sight without a hiccup , except for my son commandeering it. Afterwards, we went to the Armscor facility in Pahrump NV where they offered to do a "reliability package" on it for free. We had no problems with it but what the heck, right. They did the work, and shipped it to me with 2 new magazines all for free. They're a great outfit as far as I'm concerned.

ETA RIA also throws in a 9mm barrel and recoil spring to the 22TCMs they sell.

Last Edited:
800 seems steep for a brand that was meant for poors.

They were more attractive at the 5-600 range, like someone said a few bucks more you can get alot more
Retail price was $577.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top