JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't seem to stop visiting Rock Island Armory's pages. Specifically I'm jonesing on this little guy:

Rock Island TAC Ultra CS 45ACP

It looks like a good CCW size for a medium-size fella like me. The price seems high, but what isn't these days?

Any Rock Island shooters out there? What is your experience with RIA firearms?
Have two armscorp m14y 22 rifles. Great value at $110-$130ish new. Minute of ear hole accuracy on varmints shooting suppressed. Surprisingly accurate. Simple metal and wood construction. Well worth it for those 2 guns but I haven't tried any other from the brand.

Finally picked up my new RIA yesterday.

Wiped the gun down. Took the slide assembly apart and cleaned it. Everything looked good. The only downer is you need a paperclip to remove the bushing, rod and spring. Not my favorite, but not a deal breaker either.

Dang, this gun is heavy! Empty it feels about the same as my loaded Colt Defender. I see that as a feature, not a bug. That weight will help soak up recoil and possibly eliminate some of the problems I have with the Defender.

The RIA mag feels a little light. We'll see how it holds up. My other Officer mags (Wilson Combat) slide in nicely and seat well.

The red fiber optic on the front sight is great. It stands out well and helps me align quickly between the two white dots on the rear sight.

Haven't had time to shoot it yet. Too much forestry work to do around here with a looming DNR deadline for payment. But I hope to find time to run a few rounds through it in the next week.

If it shoots as well as it feels, this gun will be my constant companion, next to my wife and dogs, of course.

I have had a Rock Island 1911A1 before and it was a great pistol. I sold it a few years ago when I was downsizing. I recently picked up another Philippino made 1911, a Citadel compact. It also is a very well made piece.

1681032953490.png

Just picked up my RIA 1911 FS HC 10mm yesterday. Haven't got to shoot it yet, but the fit and finish is well worth the price. Not the nicest 1911, but hopefully the perfect woods gun in a chest holster.

View attachment 1314411
That has my attention for the price….. now track down WA Compliant (barf) option in mag or wait couple years for freedom to come back. I'd think they'd call it like a 2011 with the capacity but I'm ignorant to what a 2011 really is

That has my attention for the price….. now track down WA Compliant (barf) option in mag or wait couple years for freedom to come back. I'd think they'd call it like a 2011 with the capacity but I'm ignorant to what a 2011 really is
RI calls it a 1911 HC (High Capacity), not a 2011.

I had issues with the 1911 FSHC due to a fit issue on the slide which was causing scratching as well as multiple ftfs. RIA fixed it under warranty then it was ok.

I ended up selling it and purchased a RI Tac Ultra HC (with full rail). It has performed much better out of the box. QC can be hit or miss, but generally they are a great value for the price. RI states to break in period of 500 rounds, and they say it is common to have multiple ftfs until you put a lot of rounds through it, so plan on a lot of slide racking to break in along with a lot of "break in" rounds.

I like mine a lot, but at this point, not sure I'd trust it in a fight. After additional break-in I might change my mind.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top