Reactions
If the capacity ban sticks I can see that my opinion on relatively low capacity 1911s in larger calibers may be revised. Between 8 and 17 rounds the choice is a no brainer, but between 7-8 and 10 the answer is way less clear.

Reactions
If the mag capacity ban sticks, do they make 10 rounders for the doublestack Rocks ?
Maybe?

If this will work universally i do not know.

Reactions
If the mag capacity ban sticks, do they make 10 rounders for the doublestack Rocks ?

Maybe?

If this will work universally i do not know.
Looks about right, but hard to tell. The issue is the double stack RIA is in 10mm not 45.

Reactions
10mm is no joke. I haven’t shot much .45 since I started shooting about 5- 6 years ago, but the few times I did I found .45 in the 1911 platform pretty smooth and controlable even though the round had double the weight of 9mm. The fact that .45 is usually subsonic makes a can for one a bit more attractive too. I’m sold on the general superiority of a good double stack 9mm for self defense because of increased capacity, but I do prefer the feel and aesthetics of metal frame pistols and love the feel of a real single action trigger. RIA rep for affordable quality makes prospect of an RIA 1911 attractive too.

Last Edited:
Reactions
I had a full sized 45 Tactical. I shot it well. Never had an issue and it shot everything from steel cased to hollow point ammo. They were under $500 back then.

Reliable is reliable, and they are reliable. I doubt I'd drop $800. A few dollars more and you jump a tier.

Reactions
Always wanted a 1911 in 40s&w but its 10/9/45.

Also, unsure why rails seem to be taboo. I've found a holster that indexes to the light so that's my planned method of carry.

Reactions
I had a full sized 45 Tactical. I shot it well. Never had an issue and it shot everything from steel cased to hollow point ammo. They were under $500 back then.

Reliable is reliable, and they are reliable. I doubt I'd drop $800. A few dollars more and you jump a tierSA,
Kimber, S/A, RIA, PARA, all are forged upper and lower with MiM parts. Gotta move to Wilson or Nighthawk before you get an all forged precision gun. I have had zero issues with my RIA guns, best bang for the buck IMO.

Reactions
Kimber, S/A, RIA, PARA, all are forged upper and lower with MiM parts. Gotta move to Wilson or Nighthawk before you get an all forged precision gun. I have had zero issues with my RIA guns, best bang for the buck IMO.
Ruger is in there somewhere. Really hard to go wrong with any of them. I actually preferred my RIA to my friends Ruger. The RIA took all magazines, even really old surplus with no problems.

Reactions
I wanted a Rock Island double stack 9mm/22TCM in the Tac Ultra configuration. A fellow member on this board made me a great deal on a lower model double stack 9mm/22tcm. It needs new sights (I wish it had the Tac Ultra sights) but otherwise it is a great gun!

Reactions
If I were going to buy any 1911 and only have 10 round mags I would just purchase a single stack 1911. Lighter, slimmer and more standard parts than a double stack. Just my preference though. The reason I bought the HC (double stack) RIA was for the 17round 9mm magazines.
Double stack 1911's also have a bit of a reputation for being more finicky and a bit more prone to having feed issues than single stacks. Single stack mags have well over a hundred years of proven reliability!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rickreall Winter Gun Show December 10th & 11th
Rickreall, OR
Wes Knodel Gun Shows
Chehalis, WA

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top