JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm pondering a new handgun. Currently my only semi-autos are G20, G29 and a Keltec PF9. But I'd really like to have a 1911. The RIA would fit my bill - double stack is a BIG seller for me and the price is right. I've read a bunch of reviews, mostly positive. But here and there I've seen some reliability issues mentioned.

So what's your verdict?

As usual, any 2 Cents are welcome.

I've got two of their 1911's... a compact in 45ACP and a double stack TCM in 22TCM/9mm. Probably have well over a thousand rounds through both in all three calibers and don't recall having any function/reliability issues. Fit and finish on the compact is nothing to write home about. Fit on the TCM is excellent, but the finish is just so-so. Both were well worth the price paid, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Ok - pulled the trigger and ordered one from my local gun store. If they'd had it in stock I'd have been at the range for the 2nd time today instead of at the trap room. I'm all for instant gratification.

It shoots really good. I was able to mostly stay within 8" at 60 yards. Anything outside was me, not the gun. I probably went through 150 rounds, both factory SIG 180 gr FMJ @ 1250 fps and handloads 180 gr JHP @ ~1300 fps. I had one FTF early on. Forgot which ammo.

Annoyingly it only comes with one magazine and extras are $40. And I haven't been able to find a holster yet. At least the place where I bought it didn't have any that fit.
It could be that I'm not used 1911s. But it was a bit hard to take down. You have to muscle the recoil spring which is super stiff.

Also, when I finally got it apart to clean, the bore was really dirty. I probably spent two hours trying to clean it without getting it clean.

Another thing that annoys me is that it tosses the brass right over your wrist. I could feel the draft as it passed. Not sure if I was limp wristing or something. The brass also nicks the slide right behind the ejection port. When I mentioned that to their support I got this answer:

"The brass marks near the ejection port from the spent shells contacting the slide are normal on TCM, 10mm and CS 1911's. The action and high energy of those firearms cause the spent brass to tumble and contact the slide near the ejection port. It is not a warranty issue. You can cover up the marks using Birchwood Casey Super Blue."

All that said I do like the gun. Fit and finish is nice. Again this is my first 1911 so I have nothing to compare with. Also, it feels well built and strong like a tank. I'm pretty sure I can take my hand loads nuclear with this one. It also sits really good in my hand. I'm looking forward to taking it out to 100 yards. For atound $600 - I'd say it's a YES.

BrassMarks1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top