JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They look quite nice on the web page. Looks aren't everything of course since you can make everything look good on a web page. I'd like to see the fit and finish of one in person, just out of curiosity, at some point.
We have them in stock, over in Vancouver. You can put them right next to a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, NightHawk, STI and Dan Wesson. Just to see...

Um, Firstly, this Rock Island IS NOT a 2011 series, it IS a PARA ORDNANCE Design double stack!
It's a good deal considering what it is, but it does not do what a 2011 does, nor does it use any of the unique parts of the 2011!

This is a Typical 2011 series ( STI)
1566518546303.png
This is the Para type frame used by Rock Island, Para Ord, and now Remington!
1566518662654.png

Um, Firstly, this Rock Island IS NOT a 2011 series, it IS a PARA ORDNANCE Design double stack!
It's a good deal considering what it is, but it does not do what a 2011 does, nor does it use any of the unique parts of the 2011!

View attachment 610791
View attachment 610792
I guess I should have differentiated by calling it what it is. A double stack 1911. :)
But for all intents and purposes, my question was aimed at differentiating between the quality of the build and components. A single stack STI still runs over twice the cost of a double stack RIA and we can probably assume the single stack STI employs a single piece frame like the Para or any other 1911? Or am I wrong?
I'm learning here guys ;)

Take my advice and spend the money to buy a STI 2011. I own 3 STI's and an Infinity 2011 I didn't want to carry them because of how expensive they were. I bought the 9mm 22TCM combo hi cap rock island I could not get through more than 10 rounds before I had failure to feeds I sent it in and it turns out they shipped it with the wrong barrel a non ramped when it should have had a ramped one. 3 months after i got it back my thumb safety stopped working and my mags stopped locking the slide back at this point I threw it in my safe and have not touched it since.
Had I the money to buy one new, I'd be shooting it tonight :)... Doesn't seem to be a lot of second hand options out there which is good because it means people are holding on to them.

I guess I should have differentiated by calling it what it is. A double stack 1911. :)
But for all intents and purposes, my question was aimed at differentiating between the quality of the build and components. A single stack STI still runs over twice the cost of a double stack RIA and we can probably assume the single stack STI employs a single piece frame like the Para or any other 1911? Or am I wrong?
I'm learning here guys ;)
Yes, and No! Yes, a single stack STI is a one piece frame, only the 2011 series are a 2 piece, and there are a few manufactures, CK being the other one, and actually better in quality and lower cost.
STI are like Night Hawk, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and the other high end manufactures!
As far as their frames, the standard 1911 series STI's are Mil Spec, so they interchange with most Mil Spec parts, nothing unique there, it's their top ends that are unique, something they are well known for!
Rock Island does it so cheap because they have cheap labor in country, and to compete in the U.S. Market, they had to step up the quality, so you are actually getting a real value in quality 1911's!
Then there is the whole build market for 1911/2011 pistols, which is how you get into a top shelf 2011 pistol for a reasonable price!
Caspian, Fusion, CK, Rock Island, and Para being some of the main suppliers, as well as Ed Brown and Wilson Combat for parts.

View attachment 610791
View attachment 610792
So I guess the question is a STI single stack worth twice what a, say Springfield Elite Operator, is worth? Given that there is nothing proprietary about their design until you get to their 2011s, are they still warranted in asking the price tag just by quality of parts and fitment?

There is Name recognition, and known quality at stake here, and STI does a really nice pistol, no doubt! Are they worth the price? Hard to answer that, Would you spend that money on a Night Hawk, Wilson, of Less Bear, if so, then I don't think you would be disappointed in an STI!

Insider tip here, Have a close look at Fusion, I think you will find they are way under rated for the quality of their builds, and they make their own parts, making them one of the very few who do!
Another source for Double stack 1911 frames is Caspian!

There is Name recognition, and known quality at stake here, and STI does a really nice pistol, no doubt! Are they worth the price? Hard to answer that, Would you spend that money on a Night Hawk, Wilson, of Less Bear, if so, then I don't think you would be disappointed in an STI!

Insider tip here, Have a close look at Fusion, I think you will find they are way under rated for the quality of their builds, and they make their own parts, making them one of the very few who do!
Another source for Double stack 1911 frames is Caspian!
I'm trying to keep it around the $1k or slightly over price point ... say...up to $1,200. Which puts me in range for either a new Springfield Elite Operator with a little cash to play with or ... a used STI albeit harder to find in the configuration you want when shopping second hand.

My dream would be a Wilson Combat but definitely out of my price range.
I'd be happy with a nice Dan Wesson that fit my criteria as well.

I'm trying to keep it around the $1k or slightly over price point ... say...up to $1,200. Which puts me in range for either a new Springfield Elite Operator with a little cash to play with or ... a used STI albeit harder to find in the configuration you want when shopping second hand.

My dream would be a Wilson Combat but definitely out of my price range.
I'd be happy with a nice Dan Wesson that fit my criteria as well.
How about a build?
After the initial investment in tools, you can build any of the high end pistols you want, in any configuration you wish, for about what you have budgeted! My last 2011 series came in around $1200 complete, and the STI or Fusion cost would be close to $3000!;)
Dreams can become reality this way, and you can have a pistol that more then rivals any offering from any big name maker!

How about a build?
After the initial investment in tools, you can build any of the high end pistols you want, in any configuration you wish, for about what you have budgeted! My last 2011 series came in around $1200 complete, and the STI or Fusion cost would be close to $3000!;)
Dreams can become reality this way, and you can have a pistol that more then rivals any offering from any big name maker!
While that sounds nice there are a couple things I'd have working against me. First, I don't have experience with handgun building nor the 1911 platform (other than a Colt I had for a short time). I wouldn't know how to get my way out of a problem without probably paying $ for a gunsmith to help. The second would be resale. I've had a hell of a time reselling anything custom built or with custom work done in the past. That includes the Colt 1911 I had and also AR builds, all of which have been $2k builds. I shouldn't let that stop me but it does make me a bit reluctant

Had I the money to buy one new, I'd be shooting it tonight :)... Doesn't seem to be a lot of second hand options out there which is good because it means people are holding on to them.
Go on Kens list and the Brian Enos forums people are selling their 2011's used at like 1100-1500 with mags every day

You have to be a member or the classifieds wont show up on enos
Do you have any experience with buying firearms from a private party out of state? I've always been very hesitant. I've had good luck with parts but then Paypal will cover most of my parts transactions. They won't do it with a firearm.

Do you have any experience with buying firearms from a private party out of state? I've always been very hesitant. I've had good luck with parts but then Paypal will cover most of my parts transactions. They won't do it with a firearm.
I have had very good luck look for someone who has been a member of said forum for a while. Paypal family and friends will do as long as you don't mention firearms at all in the notes. Venmo is also a great option.

I have had very good luck look for someone who has been a member of said forum for a while. Paypal family and friends will do as long as you don't mention firearms at all in the notes. Venmo is also a great option.
Any particular reason on family and friends over goods/services? I just usually like to pay the extra 3% for the peace of mind. I guess in the event it didn't show up, I could claim it was something that...wasn't a firearm? I don't know

Any particular reason on family and friends over goods/services? I just usually like to pay the extra 3% for the peace of mind. I guess in the event it didn't show up, I could claim it was something that...wasn't a firearm? I don't know
Usually because 3% of 2000 is like 60 dollars plus shipping adds up. Plus a lot of people selling are worried about goods and services in case the buyer claims they never received the product and try to back charge the seller. Then the seller is out of money and their gun.

Usually because 3% of 2000 is like 60 dollars plus shipping adds up. Plus a lot of people selling are worried about goods and services in case the buyer claims they never received the product and try to back charge the seller. Then the seller is out of money and their gun.
Yeah I guess there is a risk no matter what on one end or the other. Running a business has opened my eyes to a lot of small-time scammers out there on the internet so I always err on the side of caution.

I've had two Rock Island 1911s. The first one came from the factory so badly cast that there were literally bubbles visible in the frame. They said it never should have left assembly in that condition (duh). So I sent it back in and they replaced it with a new pistol. This one didn't get 300 rounds through it before the slide stop notch in the slide began peening so badly that it was clear that the slide stop eventually would not be able to lock the slide back. They replaced the slide, stating that it probably hadn't been hardened appropriately. I sold that one with full disclosure and haven't looked back. The odds of getting two really unacceptable pistols in a row is astronomical. I'm convinced they really aren't something that is acceptable, low price or not. I've had several Sig 1911s that were beautiful pistols that operated flawlessly. But I decided I'm just not a 1911 guy. For the same price as or less than an entry 1911, you can get a host of proven polymer or even steel .45 ACP double stack pistols. My personal favorite is my Springfield XdM 3.8 inch compact. It comes with a standard 9 round magazine and 13-round extended grip magazine. The weight, ergonomics, build quality, accuracy, and other qualities are exceptional. I've got at least 1500 rounds of all sorts of ammo through it without a single failure I can remember. If you do get a 1911, I'd advise saving up a bit more and getting a Dan Wesson. They're hands down the closest thing you can get to a custom 1911 at maybe half the price of the others in that bracket. My two cents, anyway.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads