JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I guess the only good reason that I have for building two 10mm pistols right now is that I could, I have no excuse otherwise. To feed them I have settled on 180 gr for everything except for the back country which will get Underwood 200 gr solids. I picked up enough factory ammo to get things broke in, then it will be reloads from there. The reloading stash I built up is once fired brass, Hornady FMJFP's, Xtreme FP's and Sierra HP's. Primer is CCI 300 LPP and COAL will be 1.25". Since the go to powders for 10mm are nowhere to be found, I am stuck with the H110, HP-38 and Unique that is on my shelf. Of these three I figure that the Unique is going to be my best bet since the HP-38 is even faster and the H110 is way too slow unless maybe I pack it in there like a firecracker. My first ladder will be 6.0 gn to 7.4 gn in .2 gn increments using the Hornady FMJ which it is in between the Xtreme and Sierra as far as length goes, with the Sierra needing its own mini ladder since it is .013 longer that the Hornady. The Xtreme is only .002" shorter than the Hornady so I'll probably run the same ladder for both, but I may need to stop sooner with the Xtreme.

So this is my story for this Friday evening, so y'all have great weekends.

Last Edited:
Alliant Blue Dot
Accurate No 7
Accurate No 9

There are other brands, but these 3 stand out the most in the researching that I have done.

Thanks for the heads up. That's a bit of a poke for me, but I can check them out the next time I'm hunting down in that neck of the woods.

Longshot for the 10mm win. AA no.9 is good if you have enough barrel length to get a clean burn.
All that said, I'm shooting my 10mm more than anything now due to the fact that I'm very well stocked with components. Hot 10mm becomes not too fun if it's all you're shooting in a long session. I did quite a bit of reading and it turns out HP-38/W231 makes a very nice plinking load. 5.5gr under a 180 gives me 975 f/s in my Dan Wesson Classic Commander. Yeah that's .40SW velocity but it still feels like 10mm with a 180 on top and doesn't beat me or my pistol to death and I could push this powder harder if I really wanted to.
The biggest surprise is this is the MOST accurate load I've cooked up in 10mm. I'm talking 1/2"-3/4" groups at 25 yards off a bag. I loves me some full power 10mm but the HP-38 loads are a ton of fun for range days. Just loaded up another 400 for the weekend. Give it a shot since you've got the powder.

I would advise not to go hot rod with faster powders behind heavy bullets. You may get into an area where you start to pierce primers. I would be especially cautious using solids, and really cautious with a 200 gr. solid. Solids present more friction than jacketed lead core bullets.

Take a look at the list at this link, there is a ton of 10mm load data here:

I've loaded lots of 180 gr. 10mm. The powders I've kinda settled on:

Blue Dot
Vectan AO
Silhouette
Vihtavuori 3N37

Thanks for the input guys.

@gmerkt: Thanks for the link. It has way much more data than the one I have been looking at.

Also like to thank @dave peoples for his very generous offer.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the link. It has way much more data than the one I have been looking at.

Yes, and the guy who put this together has fired all these loads. Having all that data is fascinating. I like to compare the Quick Load with real world, for one thing. Just because. There is also other interesting stuff at this guy's site. Be sure to read the end notes after the 10mm load data.

I would advise not to go hot rod with faster powders behind heavy bullets. You may get into an area where you start to pierce primers. I would be especially cautious using solids, and really cautious with a 200 gr. solid. Solids present more friction than jacketed lead core bullets.

@gmerkt, awesome link - thanks!

I've loaded lots of 180 gr. 10mm. The powders I've kinda settled on:

Blue Dot
Vectan AO
Silhouette
Vihtavuori 3N37
I know this is an older post, but I stumbled on it. How do you like 3N37 for 10mm? I use Vihtavuori N105 and love it for 10.

And as far as hot rodding fast powders with heavy bullets, I get that for the most part. But I use N320 behind a 230 gr FMJ for 45 ACP and love it. Is that because 45 is low pressure?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top