JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was almost robbed at knife point in Renton awhile back. Sure was glad I had my 9mm on me. No incident, the 3 retards (I think they were HS kids) ran when I pulled out my gun.

so get her a gun etc, but i'm not following how a guy at a walk up window is able to get a knife against her chest? All the drive-throughs I go to have the window up at almost chest height and it's a window not a door, could she not jump back away from the window ?
How did the two guys get from outside to inside the coffee store ?
I don't know the place but it seems like there should be some basic physical barriers in place, like a locked door, so that some one outside with a knife is a negligible threat. A robber with a firearm would be different of course....
If it were my coffee stand i'd have a shotgun under the counter at each window.....

I live out in the area you are describing and also have an ex wife that owned a few stands. the coffee stands make some good cash and amazing tips daily! most stands are in wooded areas. I have heard of many armed robbings and even more worse naked men showing up at doors and windows of these stands. very dangerous for the ladies. good for you watching out for her. I know every time i drive by those remote stands i give a look for trouble. sounds like the owner needs to get more involved in the security of his stand. NO WALK UPS. NO EXCEPTIONS. no reason to walk up to a drive thru coffee stand, unless your robbing or checkin out the booty. this wont be the last time a coffee stand will be robbed, so be prepared!!!

I'm not surprized. From where I come, the northwest is a high crime area. In the northern midwest, my wife worked in a clothing outlet store. I, or a friend, would park in front of the store when she was closing alone. I think that could deter anyone. Since she doesn't seem ready for a carry, something like that might just be the security she needs. In my home state, there is no concealed carry permitted (one of two states). So when I parked outside the store, I had a S&W 64-4 openly on the seat next to me in the car (that was legal).

Get her a 38 5 rounder and a set of Thunderwear. She won't have to change wardrobe at all. My wife has one of those configurations and you just can't tell it's there unless she's doing a back bend.

I was almost robbed at knife point in Renton awhile back. Sure was glad I had my 9mm on me. No incident, the 3 retards (I think they were HS kids) ran when I pulled out my gun.

Be careful.. a knifeman can kill you in less than 3 seconds at 21 feet with a drawn blade. If I see a blade as a threat inside 25 feet I am drawing and firing without hesitation, no warnings

I say this as a man who teaches Philipino knife/sword arts. Take it seriously

Trslmn
Don't waist your money on a Derringer for defense they are a novelty at best, buy a real gun.
I agree with Trislmn. I bought a bond arms derringer and they're huge and heavy.They're cool,but so is my 45/70 BFR. They're not really a viable self defense weapon.
I ended up with a Kahr pm 9 that is lighter and smaller than the derringer,(pocket size),
but gives you 7 shots of +P 9mm.

I owned one of those .45lc/.410 derringers. They are huge and hard to shoot. Even bought the special full size grips to make them easier to shoot and this makes the gun bigger than a j frame.
Worse, the thing wasn't accurate even at 7 yds. Can you imagine missing a guy coming at you with a knife from inside of 7 yds. and you miss???

I was thinking something like this:

They shoot a 45LC or a 410ga, loaded with 2 of the new Win PDX1 in 410 and have her keep 2 in the other pocket...

pdx1_410pack_shells-tfb.jpg

Not sure I'd wanna be the poor sap with MY hand behind that grip when that lil sucker goes BARK.....
the similar styled guns I've handled have one of the most miserable trigger pulls of anything I've ever handled. I did NOT like it... and it was only a .22 LR!!!

It's also a good reason why the boss should be doing bank drops at least three times a day. Or 2 times and the remainder at the home safe till morning. Good to keep a carafe of boiling hot coffee to throw in someone's face too if need be. Use the glass kind and crack it over their nose and eyes. The 2nd girl could have done that. Hard to think of those things quickly though. Keltec 32 in a ankle band will work. Or even tucked waistband. If she doesn't keep one in the pipe though, she would have had a hard time deploying, Not enough time to reach and then rack it. Maybe stick it in the cash drawer when on shift. If you can find a flat taser and stick it between a wad of bills rubberbanned, you might be able to stab the BG in the hand while giving the money. Mace might work too. They have them in pagers. Enough time to maneuver.

Maybe talk to the manager and/or owner of the shop? Maybe suggest that if they will not allow employees to protect themselves, that they should consider going further to insure the safety of their employees by hiring security, or installing protective barriers to deny BGs easy access to the employees.

The doors are split. Top half is a window, bottom half is a door, or can be opened halfway for a counter top. The doors are open 80% of the time because the girls go get then next 2-3 cars orders so they can work faster...

The BG's just opened the bottom half of the door to enter. When the girl was making the drink, when she turned around to ask him to go to the window, He had a bandanna on, and was 1' from her inside of the stand.

Walkup traffic is welcomed, but after they order, they are asked to walk to the walkup window that does not have a door...

Ive scrapped the Bond Arms 2 shot 410 (her grandpa has the judge, and she shoots it all the time! no trouble!) I think have to get her to try different holsters and find one she likes for her G26...

Everyone is playing it down as if its no big deal... The owners are glad nobody got hurt, but belive if they just give the money over, nobody will ever get hurt... The manager really cant do much, its follow the rules, or leave. I really wish she would just quit, but We are stuck for now, untill she finishes this quarter in college, then she can go back to her regular job.

The girls that this had happened to, say it WAS a WAY worse then the paper's and police say. I even got to see the video tape, and It WAS a Draw/Shoot situation 100%

So, What I plan to do to 'Fix' this is to have her try on some holsters. See if she will be willing to use one for IWB carry.
I will contiune to play rent-a-cop (only with a real gun and no radio)
And as soon as we can, she will quit!

Ian, perhaps another go at chatting up the owner/management. Remind them of a few things:

the number of robberies so far, and the "escalation" in true danger level to HIS employees

his policy of refusing to allow the workers arms.

the vulnerability inherent in the physical layout of the structure

the remote location of the stand, and surrounding area

Perhaps the state workers compensation board would have some input to the situation.. if those workers are injured or killed whist on the clock, it wold result in a claim. WHAT is the owner doing to improve workplace safety? What about the company insuring that place..... perhaps they would have some concerns over the high risk, and the likelihood of having to pay out on a property damage, direct loss, or personal injury claim. What if a customer happens to become involved in another heist?

If its a Dutch Brothers stand (and I'm not asking if it is), I'd contact headquarters in Grant's Pass and discuss the situationn with them. They may have a policy regarding arms for employees. If it is a prohibition, I'd talk with them about changing it. I know it would be legal, excepting any felons working (but somehow I doubt there are any...), because it is a fixed place of business. Anyone licensed to carry concealed could do so. I can even see the advantage of management asking for people to carry, requiring the CHL for them, and even paying for some defensive handgun training at OFA or equivalent. I'd bet OFA would either give group classes to their employees or a group rate on open classes.

Trust me, the FIRST time anyone tries another armed robbery of one of those stands and someone presents a handgun and is trained to handle it properly, word will spread through the criminal element to forget about popping one of THOSE stands.
If I were management in Dutch Brothers, I'd put some lead teeth behind their "Ditch Mafia" theme..... no more DB heists.

Tell that to the BG! A person has the right to protect their life and freedoms without having to sacrifice because of a policy.

I never allowed an employer to disarm me back when I was an employee. I have never asked an employee to give up their natural right to self defense, either

I live out in the area you are describing and also have an ex wife that owned a few stands. the coffee stands make some good cash and amazing tips daily! most stands are in wooded areas. I have heard of many armed robbings and even more worse naked men showing up at doors and windows of these stands. very dangerous for the ladies. good for you watching out for her. I know every time i drive by those remote stands i give a look for trouble. sounds like the owner needs to get more involved in the security of his stand. NO WALK UPS. NO EXCEPTIONS. no reason to walk up to a drive thru coffee stand, unless your robbing or checkin out the booty. this wont be the last time a coffee stand will be robbed, so be prepared!!!

Actually I have walked up to a coffee stand a few times because it's right next to my favorite local auto parts store, but I'm in a low crime area and I look nothing like a street criminal..

The doors are split. Top half is a window, bottom half is a door, or can be opened halfway for a counter top. The doors are open 80% of the time because the girls go get then next 2-3 cars orders so they can work faster...

The BG's just opened the bottom half of the door to enter. When the girl was making the drink, when she turned around to ask him to go to the window, He had a bandanna on, and was 1' from her inside of the stand.

Walkup traffic is welcomed, but after they order, they are asked to walk to the walkup window that does not have a door...

Ive scrapped the Bond Arms 2 shot 410 (her grandpa has the judge, and she shoots it all the time! no trouble!) I think have to get her to try different holsters and find one she likes for her G26...

Everyone is playing it down as if its no big deal... The owners are glad nobody got hurt, but belive if they just give the money over, nobody will ever get hurt... The manager really cant do much, its follow the rules, or leave. I really wish she would just quit, but We are stuck for now, untill she finishes this quarter in college, then she can go back to her regular job.

The girls that this had happened to, say it WAS a WAY worse then the paper's and police say. I even got to see the video tape, and It WAS a Draw/Shoot situation 100%

So, What I plan to do to 'Fix' this is to have her try on some holsters. See if she will be willing to use one for IWB carry.
I will contiune to play rent-a-cop (only with a real gun and no radio)
And as soon as we can, she will quit!

Aside from the scary idea that she could have been stabbed, there's also the possibility that a pack of scum could attempt rape inside the stand. She should be armed and taught point shooting at point blank range, and you should get her some real world MAs training (MMA/Muay Thai/JKD/BJJ/etc) to accompany/compliment her piece

She can always get another job, but some things stay with you forever

You do have a radio, it's called a cellphone, but in an actual attack you should not waste time with it until you get control of the situation

My wife works at a store that was robbed at knife point...

Thank GOD that she was not working that week!!!

She works at a coffee shop part time and is a full time student, anyways here is what happened:

The store is situated with 2 doors and 2 lanes, and you may order from both doors/windows....

Well this punk knocks on the back window (not in a car, just walks up to the drive up window) and orders a drink. The girl starts making the order, and turns around to tell the guy to go to the other window to pay. But when she turns around, he is now wearing a bandanna cowboy/gangsa style. and grabs her hostage style with a knife to her chest saying he will kill her, tellilng the other girl working to open the tills. At this point badguy #2 jumps in with mini-sword/ dagger and starts emptying the cash from the drawer. (both silent alarms are triggered and cops are on the way...)

They take the cash and run off into the woods, one of the girls slowly left the stand to see what direction they ran off to and just outside of the parking lot she found a wallet on the ground that fell out of one of the smart robbers baggy jeans,:s0114: and a mini sword/dagger that was tossed durring the getaway.

Cops showed up in about 4.5min after the BG's left.

They both were caught within a week! But this is the 5th robbery in 2 years, and the most aggressive by FAR!!!!!!!!!

I work full time, and she works part time and goes to school fulltime. So Quitting is not going to happen...

Im really at a loss of what to do here...:huh: In my book this would have been a shoot situation, He had the Ability, Opportunity, and Jeopardy.

However the stand has a "no weapons" policy, (not that I care about a policy:s0131:) But my wife will only carry pepper spray, no guns, and no knife beacuse of her "girl style" jeans and clothes... Im really pushing for her to wear a glock 26 in a supertuck deluxe but she said she is not willing to wear different jeans/ clothes to IWB carry a G26.

At this point Im tempted to get a Bond Arms darrenger. Hey, its better then getting a knife in the heart...

By the way this happened in the middel of the day too...

Im VERY VERY Upset over this, so I started parking in the parking lot when she works and in my free time untill I figure something out!

Get her a pistol, teach her how to use it and pray she never has to use it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top